Commanders hire Adam Peters to be new GM (5 year deal)

7 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Nicki Jhabvala 

Johnson, Lions DC Aaron Glenn and Ravens DC Mike Macdonald — all head-coaching candidates for the Commanders — cannot have second interviews with Washington until next Monday (Jan. 29).

While it sucks not being able to build the staff right now getting your guy over some guy is critical to long term success. It also allows you to interview a ton of guys that could in sense surprise you. I’m still hopeful for Johnson. I think him coming back his feel for game is a very bright sign for him translating to being a HC where he will have more on his plate.

• Like 1

JP Finlay 

More from @matt_valdez on Ravens DC Mike McDonald:  "He's shut down Bobby Slowik twice. He manhandled Ben Johnson. Shut down Mike McDaniel...What he's doing is almost genius...The Ravens didnt allow the Texans into the red zone the entire game"

12 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Ben Standig

The Commanders will hold a second, in-person interview with Rams DC Raheem Morris this week, per source.

I think if for some reason we hired Morris or Quinn all the goodwill I felt would just deflate lol

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think if for some reason we hired Morris or Quinn all the goodwill I felt would just deflate lol

If this is truly a possibility I would not be a happy camper!

Not my first choice but The only so called retread I wouldn’t mind would be Mike Vrabel 

• Like 1

Grant Paulsen 

Lions OL coach Hank Fraley is from Gaithersburg. It’s suggested here he will be Ben Johnson’s OC wherever he ends up in 2024.

Not sure how I feel about this. I could see him being helpful with blocking schemes on runs and passing downs but calling plays in a game. That’s a tough one for me to embrace with some bit of enthusiasm. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

7 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Grant Paulsen 

Lions OL coach Hank Fraley is from Gaithersburg. It’s suggested here he will be Ben Johnson’s OC wherever he ends up in 2024.

Not sure how I feel about this. I could see him being helpful with blocking schemes on runs and passing downs but calling plays in a game. That’s a tough one for me to embrace with some bit of enthusiasm. 

Wouldn't Ben Johnson call the plays? 

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Wouldn't Ben Johnson call the plays? 

Don’t know how that would be handled on the play calling but isn’t that the main job of an OC. Maybe they’re really close and giving him that title is a way to get him here. 

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Don’t know how that would be handled on the play calling but isn’t that the main job of an OC. Maybe they’re really close and giving him that title is a way to get him here. 

These head coaches called the plays for their team last year: Mike McDaniel, Mike McCarthy, Zac Taylor, Kevin Stefanski, Shane Steichen, Doug Pederson, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, Josh McDaniels, Matt LaFleur, Kevin O'Connell, Arthur Smith, Frank Reich, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan - 15/32 teams

• Like 1

Just now, MikeT14 said:

These head coaches called the plays for their team last year: Mike McDaniel, Mike McCarthy, Zac Taylor, Kevin Stefanski, Shane Steichen, Doug Pederson, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, Josh McDaniels, Matt LaFleur, Kevin O'Connell, Arthur Smith, Frank Reich, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan - 15/32 teams

OK. Why bring Hank Fraley here as the OC? Is it what I said that they’re close and that’s the way to get him here. Will he be the lead OL Coach but call him the OC?

6 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

OK. Why bring Hank Fraley here as the OC? Is it what I said that they’re close and that’s the way to get him here. Will he be the lead OL Coach but call him the OC?

Because you need a leader to help organize and implement the game plan. Are you just saying he can't do it because he is a former offensive lineman and o-line coach? Frank Smith was the Chargers O-line coach before promotion. Ben Johnson was TEs. Adam Stenavich was the o-line coach for the Packers.

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Because you need a leader to help organize and implement the game plan. Are you just saying he can't do it because he is a former offensive lineman and o-line coach? Frank Smith was the Chargers O-line coach before promotion. Ben Johnson was TEs. Adam Stenavich was the o-line coach for the Packers.

No, not at all. I believe Bill Callahan was given the OC title. I just thought it was kind of odd that you’re starting as a HC for the first time and you are handing those duties off to a guy who has never done it before. Ben calling the plays makes sense, I guess it’s a title thing when you call someone the OC I just imagine/assume he’s the guy that calls the plays.