2023 Wild Card Round: NFC 7) Green Bay Packers @ 2) Dallas Cowboys

Who wins?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Green Bay Packers
    • Dallas Cowboys

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/14/2024 at 09:30 PM

6 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Look at that effing Avy. The guy is a Vikings/Bears plant trying to come off as a packer fan who prayed Love would suck and now trying to cope with Love being on the cusp of the 3rd great one.

Yup, avy's tell all. I'm just glad most users - the actual mad hatter, a couple gophers, Bill Burr, and Jared Goff (bless his soul for posting here after his big win) - are good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ya he needs to do it for longer. QBs have gone on heaters before. I don't think this is a mirage, but he needs to come in looking like this next year and he will cement himself. That is all. 

Or he can just beat the Niners and I'll crown him screw it.

I mean, he's not going to be 21/1 in the TD/INT department but this is just showing his ceiling. The next step in his evolution will come with not turning the ball over when we're trailing, which was something he did early in the season trying to make things happen. He gets that mastered and he's going to take us to a Lombardi. He's not perfect, by any means, but, my word, the kid flashes brilliance. 

• Like 2

I always expected Love to be a good NFL quarterback, but I didn't honestly expect him to be this good.  I don't think the Packers did either, if they figured "yeah, by week 17 the guy is going to be the best QB in the league" was a likely outcome, they probably would have picked up the 5th year option (or the extension would have been different.)

The beef I have is when people who, for some reason, were certain that Jordan Love was going to suck, that it was a wasted pick, that Love was like a 5th round prospect, etc.  For every player in the draft, we should at least understand that they are talented humans (if they were bereft of talent they wouldn't be in college football) many of whom are going to work very hard to maximize their potential.  It's fine to have takes like "If Josh Allen works out for the Bills, he will be the first QB of that type to work out" but you should at least be willing to hedge a little.  The takes never need to be *that* hot.

7 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I always expected Love to be a good NFL quarterback, but I didn't honestly expect him to be this good.  I don't think the Packers did either, if they figured "yeah, by week 17 the guy is going to be the best QB in the league" was a likely outcome, they probably would have picked up the 5th year option (or the extension would have been different.)

I think the 2022 TC was the pivot point.

Rodgers showed up fluffy and checked out.

Love was lighting up practices.

I bet the FO/coaches were kicking themselves for not moving on a year earlier. My gut impression is that they weren't totally sold on Love until August of 2022.

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The beef I have is when people who, for some reason, were certain that Jordan Love was going to suck, that it was a wasted pick, that Love was like a 5th round prospect, etc.  For every player in the draft, we should at least understand that they are talented humans (if they were bereft of talent they wouldn't be in college football) many of whom are going to work very hard to maximize their potential.  It's fine to have takes like "If Josh Allen works out for the Bills, he will be the first QB of that type to work out" but you should at least be willing to hedge a little.  The takes never need to be *that* hot.

TBF Nathan Peterman played college football and in the NFL.

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

I've watched every snap of his career. He looks nothing like the player he did 2 months ago. Not even the biggest Packers homers thought he would play this well.

I didn't think he was capable of playing this well this season.

I was wrong.  See?  That's how you say you were wrong.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Love has been pretty consistent all year. He's absolutely playing better now, but the difference is wildly exaggerated. The ridiculously young offense around him has been far more volatile than Love himself has been.

OL is playing light years better. Jones back. Those are the biggest changes on our offense.

Incremental improvements in pass-catchers is next biggest.

Love's composure (unsurprisingly corresponding to the better OL play) next.

The offense is absolutely loaded around Love, but are super young. Once the other 10 guys started to play more consistently, Love's performance took off as well.

It's like 80% everyone else and 20% Love. And a few of us have been saying exactly this all season long.

I'm going to disagree, but just a little.

His consistency and accuracy were an issue early.  As was his footwork.

His poise and confidence?  That never wavered.

Couple things happened.  You hit on Jones, having him is HUGE.  You hit on better OL play.  Take it one step farther.  The development of a competent LT really helped that out.

I'll bet the pass catchers are as good now as they were back in the beginning of the year.

But to me, the coach got through to the players.  They started believing, coach started calling better series and games.  Everyone else at 80% needs to include coaches.  And yeah, I agree on the 20% of Love (footwork).

So maybe I'm not really disagreeing, just expanding.    

• Like 1

Just now, Towerbridge said:

How would you compare Love to Stroud

I've seen admittedly little of Stroud, but he has a...different...throwing motion. My mind went to Philip Rivers when I saw him play. Excellent ball placement, but doesn't have the whip that Love has.

57 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Look at that effing Avy. The guy is a Vikings/Bears plant trying to come off as a packer fan who prayed Love would suck and now trying to cope with Love being on the cusp of the 3rd great one.

Why are you quoting at me like I said something negative about him? I've been very pleased about his recent level of play. Just because I said he sucked doesn't mean I was actively rooting for him to fail. Atleast I'm willing to admit I was wrong, you guys get so caught up in your feelings you'll never admit you were wrong about anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Amen.

Unit is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more cohesive than they were during that awful stretch where they were consistenly behind the chains and throwing the offense out of rhythm. They "got it cleaned up" and now we're seeing the poetry in motion. Was always about growth overall and not just 10. 

My man.  Pad Level.  It was all about the pad level.  :)

Just now, incognito_man said:

I've seen admittedly little of Stroud, but he has a...different...throwing motion. My mind went to Philip Rivers when I saw him play. Excellent ball placement, but doesn't have the whip that Love has.

Doesnt have the whip? Stroud looked Marino like throwing the long ball in the Browns game 

• Like 1

Just now, Towerbridge said:

Doesnt have the whip? Stroud looked Marino like throwing the long ball in the Browns game 

His base is where he gets his velo from. I guarantee you that he can't sling it like Love does off his back foot. That's not taking anything away from Stroud, at all. His base is what makes him special.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I'm going to disagree, but just a little.

His consistency and accuracy were an issue early.  As was his footwork.

His poise and confidence?  That never wavered.

Couple things happened.  You hit on Jones, having him is HUGE.  You hit on better OL play.  Take it one step farther.  The development of a competent LT really helped that out.

I'll bet the pass catchers are as good now as they were back in the beginning of the year.

But to me, the coach got through to the players.  They started believing, coach started calling better series and games.  Everyone else at 80% needs to include coaches.  And yeah, I agree on the 20% of Love (footwork).

So maybe I'm not really disagreeing, just expanding.    

Love came out hot in week 1, which tells me the growth people attribute to 'in season' growth was actually already done. That growth just disappeared when Love wasn't AS comfortable. His consistency and accuracy were issues for a short stretch of games early - but I think that was exacerbated by the play around him moreso than it was attributable to HIM.

He wasn't ready to carry a sloppy team (nor should he have been expected to be). Mahomes would have even struggled w/ that offense IMO.

Point being, ANY QB would have struggled in that situation, so I don't think the growth happened to Love nearly as much as it did everywhere else around him.

• Like 1