NFC Wild Card Monday Night: Philadelphia (5) @ Tampa Bay (4)

NFC Wild Card Monday Night: Philadelphia (5) @ Tampa Bay (4)  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which team is winning Wild Card Monday Night

• Eagles
    • Buccaneers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/16/2024 at 01:15 AM

11 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Bucs are in pretty decent cap space next year because they took on most of the dead cap from Brady and the other contracts this year.   Unfortunately I feel Baker is going to get a nice contract initially I thought it was going to be around Geno Smith's deal but its going to be higher because of the playoff win.

Well that's good news for the Bucs then.  Just get all the dead cap over with quickly so you can move on.  And surprisingly, actually make the playoffs and win at least one game in the meantime.  Not bad.  Though i was kind of under the impression that it was not just that they'd kicked the dead money down the road like that a bit, but that they also had a handful of pretty important contracts expiring that were designed to basically roll through the Brady era and then come due, that they'll have to either re-sign or replace somehow?  Could be mistaken on that, but Evans and Lavonte at the very least are FAs i believe?  Can't recall the others off the top of my head.  So that kind of thing can eat into a decent cap situation pretty quickly.

I do think the Geno contract is probably a fair baseline for the Baker deal.  The playoff win does complicate that a bit.  But i'd like to think he also made some decent money earlier in his career so he might not be as desperate to squeeze every last penny out of it.  Also curious if they structure it similarly to Geno's deal, or go the other direction and load it to be easier to walk away from later.

Really just have to hope that he sees the merit in a situation that suits him and is willing to keep those demands reasonable (in that Geno ballpark).

I have a lot more faith in Mayfield getting an extension like that, over Geno though.  That Geno contract felt like a huge mistake to me before the ink was even dry.  Mayfield has at least shown talent in flashes outside this one season.  Geno was such a one-hit wonder that felt super fluky and unsustainable to me, after a lot of years of getting opportunities and doing nothing with them and mostly just sucking.  Not sure if that ends up factoring into the Mayfield contract as well...but hopefully they can get something done that makes sense.  Bad contracts kinda suck when they gridlock the market.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Well that's good news for the Bucs then.  Just get all the dead cap over with quickly so you can move on.  And surprisingly, actually make the playoffs and win at least one game in the meantime.  Not bad.  Though i was kind of under the impression that it was not just that they'd kicked the dead money down the road like that a bit, but that they also had a handful of pretty important contracts expiring that were designed to basically roll through the Brady era and then come due, that they'll have to either re-sign or replace somehow?  Could be mistaken on that, but Evans and Lavonte at the very least are FAs i believe?  Can't recall the others off the top of my head.  So that kind of thing can eat into a decent cap situation pretty quickly.

I do think the Geno contract is probably a fair baseline for the Baker deal.  The playoff win does complicate that a bit.  But i'd like to think he also made some decent money earlier in his career so he might not be as desperate to squeeze every last penny out of it.  Also curious if they structure it similarly to Geno's deal, or go the other direction and load it to be easier to walk away from later.

Really just have to hope that he sees the merit in a situation that suits him and is willing to keep those demands reasonable (in that Geno ballpark).

I have a lot more faith in Mayfield getting an extension like that, over Geno though.  That Geno contract felt like a huge mistake to me before the ink was even dry.  Mayfield has at least shown talent in flashes outside this one season.  Geno was such a one-hit wonder that felt super fluky and unsustainable to me, after a lot of years of getting opportunities and doing nothing with them and mostly just sucking.  Not sure if that ends up factoring into the Mayfield contract as well...but hopefully they can get something done that makes sense.  Bad contracts kinda suck when they gridlock the market.

Yea...   They definitely have important contracts.   They have Mike Evans (probably retiring as buc),  Lavonte (getting to the end of his career),  Tristan Wirfs, and Antoine Winfield (just got 1st team AP) so that will cost a lot.   But they also have a few contracts coming off or others they can cut like Shaq Barrett, and Center Ryan Jensen.   I have no idea whats going on with Ryan Jensen he had an extensive injury so he may just retire he tried to come back this year but still had issues.

They will have enough to sign most of the guys they want including Baker with a bit of room to sign some value FA's.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Yea...   They definitely have important contracts.   They have Mike Evans (probably retiring as buc),  Lavonte (getting to the end of his career),  Tristan Wirfs, and Antoine Winfield (just got 1st team AP) so that will cost a lot.   But they also have a few contracts coming off or others they can cut like Shaq Barrett, and Center Ryan Jensen.   I have no idea whats going on with Ryan Jensen he had an extensive injury so he may just retire he tried to come back this year but still had issues.

They will have enough to sign most of the guys they want including Baker with a bit of room to sign some value FA's.  

Yeah.  That sounds about right.  Pretty well aligns with my general overview, less than rigorous understanding of their cap situation.  I knew i'd forgotten at least a couple big ones.

Wirfs for sure is going to cost a few bucks.  Good Tackles are expensive (heck, bad ones are too these days lol look what Jawaan Taylor got).

So by the time you've squared all that away, what looks like good flexibility can really shrink to almost nothing.  But hey...it's a playoff team that just won a game.  🤷‍♀️  If you can afford to even just more or less maintain that group and bolster with some fresh draft picks, that's not a bad situation to be in.  Certainly a lot worse out there.  lol.

13 minutes ago, 4thandInches said:

And always made the playoffs. I don’t know how daks agent spins this.

I mean, his agent doesn't have to "spin" anything.  He got Dak paid, job done.  Time to sip Mai Tais on the beach.

His PR team might have to do a little damage control, but his contract means little else really matters.

Although i do think the consistency of making the playoffs is pretty much exactly what the "spin" would be.  You pivot to that, over what happens once he gets there.

Edited by Tugboat

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

Cable is a dying business and football has a huge demographics problem. Then end has already been set in motion. We are at the zenith of the sport. The Jordan ‘98 moment is hopefully not behind us.

Sir this is a Wendy's. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

😂😂😂

One of the worst tackling performances I’ve ever seen. Been watching football for maybe 17 years. One of the worst tackling teams in that span

Another soft of pig ish team.

You must have missed the entire Washington defense vs DJ Moore this season.

Unless I have this wrong, Graham, Johnson, Kelce, and Cox were together for 11 years. All key guys for the Eagles, that will probably retire as Eagles playing their entire career there. Even if that isn't the case, just being able to keep all of those key contributors together for 11 seasons is pretty remarkable in the free agency era. 

I can't believe the Eagles gave up after the first quarter. That was one of the saddest efforts I've seen in a playoff game. 

And all I kept looking at was Siriani and him NEVER rallying the troops, talking guys off the ledge, huddling with coaches for mid-game adjustments - nothing. 

He was a mute statue all game and was just letting the game pass him by. 

• Like 1