New Coordinators

Louis Friend

57 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

I am good either way.  Wont hate him staying and wont hate him leaving

Johnson staying would be a huge win for our team.  We are 3rd in the league in yards, 5th in points scored, 2nd in passing yards, 5th in rushing yards, and he has helped develop our OL, RBs, WRs, and TEs and getting the best out of Goff.  There should excitement in him staying other than the fact it would be nice to see a Lions coordinator hired as a head coach.  Its just been the best offense the Lions have had ever statistically so I would be sad to see him go but I also would understand why he left and be happy for him. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think AG is that bad, its still primarily a lack of talent.  CB and Edge have either suffered injuries or aging out.  Or just poor talent in general.  When guys like Kindel Vildor who got cut by Chicago before his rookie deal was up are starting for you, its hard to play defense.  We do a pretty good job of stopping people regularly but have given up big plays and the last couple weeks those big plays have mostly come against Vildor.  I would not be mad at all seeing what AG can do if we add another CB early like Cooper DeJean or Quinyon Mitchell and upgrade our DL some.  AG isn't great but he has been working with little talent overall and I think he will be really noticed next year if he stays and we get some upgrades.  

There's a reason that Campbell has stuck by AG despite the struggles that we've had. We're in year 3 of the rebuild. We're probably somewhat ahead of schedule although expectations were adjusted after the finish last year. 

The defense definitely lacks talent - IDL, Edge and CB. Sutton is not a CB1 (neither was Moseley IMO). We need to add a true CB1 and a CB3. We're going to need to add some help at Safety to replace Walker. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Johnson staying would be a huge win for our team.  We are 3rd in the league in yards, 5th in points scored, 2nd in passing yards, 5th in rushing yards, and he has helped develop our OL, RBs, WRs, and TEs and getting the best out of Goff.  There should excitement in him staying other than the fact it would be nice to see a Lions coordinator hired as a head coach.  Its just been the best offense the Lions have had ever statistically so I would be sad to see him go but I also would understand why he left and be happy for him. 

Don't think that's as much Ben as people think. More DC 

37 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

There's a reason that Campbell has stuck by AG despite the struggles that we've had. We're in year 3 of the rebuild. We're probably somewhat ahead of schedule although expectations were adjusted after the finish last year. 

The defense definitely lacks talent - IDL, Edge and CB. Sutton is not a CB1 (neither was Moseley IMO). We need to add a true CB1 and a CB3. We're going to need to add some help at Safety to replace Walker. 

I hate passive defenses.  In this day and age the better teams have aggressive schemes.  AG defense lets teams pick them apart sitting back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

Don't think that's as much Ben as people think. More DC 

People can think that but its been documented he built the playbook and calls the plays.  Not sure how DC gets the credit for that.  Others have input as they have said there is a weekly meeting where offensive coaches get to each suggest a wrinkle they put into the offense but its still primarily Johnson's playbook and his calls.  DC can pick if we go for it on 4th down but Johnson is making the play calls.  I love DC, but you can't just steal credit from BJ where there is no evidence to support it. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

I hate passive defenses.  In this day and age the better teams have aggressive schemes.  AG defense lets teams pick them apart sitting back.

We do not blitz as much as I would like, I agree there but I also think some of that has to do with the lack of talent.  Since Iffy has shown a knack for getting to the QB, we have blitzed more.  Jack Campbell has more recently as he develops.  So I still think it is primarily a talent issue and him working with what he has.  If Justin Houston was available we would likely be more aggressive like we were down the stretch last year.    

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

I agree with you on passive defenses.  I have been a big critic of AG for a good portion of the season.  To his credit, he has been doing a better job of being aggressive over the last few weeks and it has paid off for the most part.  Leaving any Lions CB in single coverage of a top-10 WR might be something to minimize though.  Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We do not blitz as much as I would like, I agree there but I also think some of that has to do with the lack of talent.  Since Iffy has shown a knack for getting to the QB, we have blitzed more.  Jack Campbell has more recently as he develops.  So I still think it is primarily a talent issue and him working with what he has.  If Justin Houston was available we would likely be more aggressive like we were down the stretch last year.    

I think AG will probably end up being a better HC than coordinator. He might not be the best Xs and Os guy out there but all the reports are he is an excellent leader of men. If he hires good coordinators around him when he becomes a HC he could be very successful imo. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I think AG will probably end up being a better HC than coordinator. He might not be the best Xs and Os guy out there but all the reports are he is an excellent leader of men. If he hires good coordinators around him when he becomes a HC he could be very successful imo. 

I think that Glenn will be a really good HC and I think that he has done a nice job here. It hasn't shown up on the stat sheet all the time, but the defense has improved each year and there's no denying that he has had his hands tied with the talent available. Glenn has been good at cobbling things together out of whatever he has and putting together a defense that can win games. We've also had quite a few younger player develop under him, so that's a good sign too. 

I can't blame him too much. He's never had a true #1 corner. The pass rush has never really been there consistently.

• Like 2

The Lions are the 11th ranked team in the league when it comes to blitzing. I don't think the problem with AG is that he is not aggressive enough. I think two things come into play.

1) We don't have good enough personnel.

2) Our blitzing isn't creative/disguised enough.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, idoubtit said:

The Lions are the 11th ranked team in the league when it comes to blitzing. I don't think the problem with AG is that he is not aggressive enough. I think two things come into play.

1) We don't have good enough personnel.

2) Our blitzing isn't creative/disguised enough.

Your second point is spot on.  The Lions haven't done a great job of disguising their blitzes.  Most teams know when Azalone is coming after the QB and are ready for that.

• Like 1