New Coordinators

Louis Friend

Sounds like Vegas might stick with Pierce, which I approve of and it shocks me that Davis would do the right thing. 

There’s a lot more smoke coming about Ben Johnson to Washington. I know he hasn’t interviewed yet, but they got a good GM and Rick Spielman is helping with the search. 

Who are our top choices to replace him? 

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The longer we stay alive, the longer teams have to wait to interview and hire their HC if they want our guys.  Winning can have more benefits than just advancing. 

Also, the more success we have, the more likely we are to attract coordinators and free agents. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Also, the more success we have, the more likely we are to attract coordinators and free agents. 

I get what you are saying about free agents.  However, I think the Ben Johnson is showing that he needs a little more seasoning as an OC.  I don't know what to say about AG.  I would love to see a game where an opposing WR has less than 150 yards.

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

I get what you are saying about free agents.  However, I think the Ben Johnson is showing that he needs a little more seasoning as an OC.  I don't know what to say about AG.  I would love to see a game where an opposing WR has less than 150 yards.

I think the 2nd half offensive struggles had more to do with Goff being atrocious in the face of minor pressure in the pocket. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I think you have been trying too hard to downplay how good BJ is.  He literally just had the best offensive season in Lions history.  Every OC has stretches that their team is stifled. But he still called that play to they the first and he still called the plays to get 21 in the first half.  All with a team full of non pro bowl talent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think you have been trying too hard to downplay how good BJ is.  He literally just had the best offensive season in Lions history.  Every OC has stretches that their team is stifled. But he still called that play to they the first and he still called the plays to get 21 in the first half.  All with a team full of non pro bowl talent. 

I don't think I am down-playing Ben Johnson.  It just seems like he gets to a certain point total and slows down.  The Rams defense wasn't that strong.  We really haven't had a vertical passing game for a good chunk of the season including this game.  

29 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I don't think I am down-playing Ben Johnson.  It just seems like he gets to a certain point total and slows down.  The Rams defense wasn't that strong.  We really haven't had a vertical passing game for a good chunk of the season including this game.  

You need protection for vertical passing.  The rams got after us in the second half. Goff got rattled.  We still had a couple 15 yard passes which is considered deep passes. We all want deep passes but in general they are low percentage plays so we run them rarely and do it timely.  The fade to ARSB was a vertical pass at a great time.  Ben Johnson has earned his accolades and his opportunity to interview for HC jobs. Can’t take anything away because he had a half in the playoffs that they didn’t score as much as we wanted but still won the game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

You need protection for vertical passing.  The rams got after us in the second half. Goff got rattled.  We still had a couple 15 yard passes which is considered deep passes. We all want deep passes but in general they are low percentage plays so we run them rarely and do it timely.  The fade to ARSB was a vertical pass at a great time.  Ben Johnson has earned his accolades and his opportunity to interview for HC jobs. Can’t take anything away because he had a half in the playoffs that they didn’t score as much as we wanted but still won the game. 

I think both arguments are fair. I too think Ben Johnson disappears at times and it is exactly at the same point every game. For me, that’s the issue. Do all coordinators have stretches? Yes they do. Is it at exactly the same point in every game? No, it’s not. BJ is lights out in the first quarter. But those are the scripted calls. Is that BJ, or is that DC?

but as you said, bj has been given credit by dc. He’s earned what he has, he’s earned what he’s received, the offense loves him, he’s a fantastic teacher. As lions fans, I don’t think it appropriate to wish him farewell and good riddance. However, if he leaves I want to see him successful. I hope he’s back next year.

• Like 1

I know it has gotten a bit better but I still don't like our approach to the 3rd quarter. It seems like the idea was to give teams a new look with Gibbs and rest Monty for the 4th. A good running game makes the pa, and therefore deeper routes, work and we just aren't getting that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I think both arguments are fair. I too think Ben Johnson disappears at times and it is exactly at the same point every game. For me, that’s the issue. Do all coordinators have stretches? Yes they do. Is it at exactly the same point in every game? No, it’s not. BJ is lights out in the first quarter. But those are the scripted calls. Is that BJ, or is that DC?

but as you said, bj has been given credit by dc. He’s earned what he has, he’s earned what he’s received, the offense loves him, he’s a fantastic teacher. As lions fans, I don’t think it appropriate to wish him farewell and good riddance. However, if he leaves I want to see him successful. I hope he’s back next year.

The Lions are 2nd in the league in scoring in the 1st quarter, 6th in the league in the second quarter, 16th in the league in the 3rd quarter, and 4th in the league in the fourth quarter.  So you are right he struggles some in the third quarter, however when you are up, most coaches/coordinators take the air out of the ball some.  Also other teams make adjustments.  But then he re-adjusts for the fourth quarter which to me, says he is pretty good on the fly and good at adapting.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The Lions are 2nd in the league in scoring in the 1st quarter, 6th in the league in the second quarter, 16th in the league in the 3rd quarter, and 4th in the league in the fourth quarter.  So you are right he struggles some in the third quarter, however when you are up, most coaches/coordinators take the air out of the ball some.  Also other teams make adjustments.  But then he re-adjusts for the fourth quarter which to me, says he is pretty good on the fly and good at adapting.  

So otoh I like how when things start to go bad in the 3rd qt I don't panic because I know that we are pretty good in the fourth. I also think it gives the players confidence that they can pull themselves out of a tough situation. However, Monty got very few touches in the 4th this last game so you are leaving potential on the sideline. It also makes you wonder if we would not have to rely on our DBs at the very end if we had put up more points in the 3rd. The refs could have easily thrown a flag on our last defensive play and we could have been watching them make a FG with no time on the clock.

• Like 2