Is DaRon Bland who we think he is?

MaddHatter

42 minutes ago, D82 said:

The game is so slanted in favor of offenses these days it's hard for any defensive player to truly be "shutdown" anymore. 

I'd say Bland is absolutely elite and we're damn lucky to have him and Diggs at CB moving forward.

There’s no such thing as a “shutdown” CB anymore. That mold was broken after Deion Sanders. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I think he’s a lot like Asante Samuel was back in the day: high risk, high reward. Over the decades, we’ve often seen CBs who get a lot of INTs give up yards because their focus is on forcing turnovers, unlike guys like Nnamdi Asomugha, as an example. His game was sticking to the receiver like glue and forcing the QB to throw it somewhere else. Bland is all about forcing turnovers, so it’ll be very interesting to see how that shakes out when Diggs returns next season, since two of our three CBs are high turnover guys.

I think that’s a great comparison and Samuel was great in his own right.   Having Diggs Gilmore and Bland will be nice (assuming their contracts aren’t up)

9 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

I think that’s a great comparison and Samuel was great in his own right.   Having Diggs Gilmore and Bland will be nice (assuming their contracts aren’t up)

Diggs just signed a 5 year extension, he’s under contract through 2028.

Bland is only in year 2 of his 4 year rookie deal.

But Gilmore is an FA. I kind of doubt we’ll re-sign him, since Dak, CeeDee, and Micah contracts all probably need to get done this offseason. Unless Gilmore will sign very cheap, going to need to find CB3 elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Diggs just signed a 5 year extension, he’s under contract through 2028.

Bland is only in year 2 of his 4 year rookie deal.

But Gilmore is an FA. I kind of doubt we’ll re-sign him, since Dak, CeeDee, and Micah contracts all probably need to get done this offseason. Unless Gilmore will sign very cheap, going to need to find CB3 elsewhere.

I think he'd come back on a cheaper contract - it's highly unlikely he's going to get big money elsewhere at his age and this is a playoff team. 

12 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

There’s no such thing as a “shutdown” CB anymore. That mold was broken after Deion Sanders. 

I would have said nobody since Nnamdi, but agreed.  Some of the best corners in the league these days are still giving up 50% catch rates.

EDIT: Deion was still on a whole other level - he knew exactly how far away he could be from a Receiver to bait a QB to throwing the ball and still be able to make the play or get the interception.  Nnamdi never baited QB's, he just stuck to his guy like glue and dared you to throw at him. 

Edited by MaddHatter

13 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

I know that you remember how angry we all were when we had an opportunity to pursue Asante in free agency and botched it. I can't stand DBs, and even I was mad.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, D82 said:

I think he'd come back on a cheaper contract - it's highly unlikely he's going to get big money elsewhere at his age and this is a playoff team. 

Patrick Peterson got $14M for 2 years. I think that’s probably about what you’re looking at for Gilmore.

I don’t think Dallas will be willing to pay that much.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Patrick Peterson got $14M for 2 years. I think that’s probably about what you’re looking at for Gilmore.

They did $11m this time around. I’d hope they’d jump on 2 for 14.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

They did $11m this time around. I’d hope they’d jump on 2 for 14.

Maybe maybe not but at this point also it is swap Diggs for Gilmore….  Hopefully though Diggs is ready wk 1.  This will be case of medical staff playing a huge role in what we do with Gilmore.   I also think Lewis has settled nicely into cb3 as well.   

On 1/12/2024 at 11:45 AM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I wouldn’t either.

Cornerback is a young man’s position these days.

I had a post on this forum a month or so ago where I studied Blands every move all season thanks to NFL+ and some coaching forums that have some limited access to game film. And Bland is even more than most think he is.

Sure he has a tendency to gamble. But when he gets beat he shrugs it right off and is back to work the next play. He doesn't get rattled. 

He's also a hell of a willing tackler. He could probably man a safety spot and still be an all pro. He has some short comings, but his tenacity in coverage of any kind shows on the film. 

He's also clearly very prepared every game. A lot of that is Al Harris preparing his guys.  But it is still up to the player to pay attention and put in the work watching tape, studying tendencies, and putting together everything his position coach shows him, drills him and teaches him. His interceptions are more a testament to his preparation than anything - making the right reads, understanding offensive tendencies, specific receiver tendencies and keys, and putting himself in proper position was what resulted in almost all of his picks. 

When you combine all of that, you get one hell of a player at any position.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 11:45 AM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Gilmore didn't look too sharp tonight against the Packers but he had one hell of a year. The difference between he and Peterson though is that Peterson can safely hold a zone and let his experience and instincts guide him. Gilmore on the other hand, played mostly man coverages. And at his age, the drop off in speed and closing quickness can come very suddenly at any given moment. Could be next season, or middle of next season, or 5 seasons from now. There is no way to be sure.

For that reason I'd be willing to pay him for another year, but he would need to be willing to take a highly incentive laden contract - such as playing at least 14 games, needing to start at least X amount of them, etc. Just to have a safety net in case that drop off comes, it doesn't kill you to have to sit him in favor of someone else