Divisional Round: San Francisco 49ers vs Green Bay Packers

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Generally, I think of layoff rust, you can shake that off at some point. He never really did. 

Agreed. The sample size is too large now. He just doesn't possess the same accuracy or play with the same poise in adverse conditions. It's something he can learn to mitigate over time. But it IS a thing until we see otherwise.

I will always take rust/rest over potential injury. He was dealing with that shoulder stinger so resting him for two weeks was the absolutely the best move. 

1 hour ago, NFL Network said:

Ok if they win the NFC title game they have 2 weeks until the SB do you expect them to be rusty for the SB as well?

Nope. This was three weeks since his last past. I don’t think the rust was necessarily his arm. I felt like he wasn’t reading the field, was making decisions late, just looked like a preseason game. 

I am going to have to have a talk with myself because I’m not sure why I’m responding to you.  

Jennings made some big plays last night but we should not bring him back. He's like Bourne, someone who is clutch on 3rd downs but you let another team pay him.

It's Bell time in 2024. He's going to be a very effective #3 and has potential to be more than that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jennings made some big plays last night but we should not bring him back. He's like Bourne, someone who is clutch on 3rd downs but you let another team pay him.

It's Bell time in 2024. He's going to be a very effective #3 and has potential to be more than that. 

Correct I didn't notice Jennings one bit in the regular season aside from the Philly game. I noticed him in 2022 though. 

14 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Agreed. The sample size is too large now. He just doesn't possess the same accuracy or play with the same poise in adverse conditions. It's something he can learn to mitigate over time. But it IS a thing until we see otherwise.

I will always take rust/rest over potential injury. He was dealing with that shoulder stinger so resting him for two weeks was the absolutely the best move. 

Well when Brock is off and the score is no more than a one score game Kyle should no better than to get away from the run so fast. They threw it way too many times on first down. Remember this is a team that attempted the fewest passes in the NFL this year and thus need to practice what they preach. 

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

If you go back to his college days, he was p]retty good in the freezing Cold.  I think the heavy, warm rain gives him issues.  At least it is not something the defense can exploit, lol.

Have you guys ever had a specific task that you had to cut the fingers off of a p]air of work gloves.  Usually wire or rop]e related, but I wonder if they could get him some custom gloves that are ultra thin at the finger tip]s.  Mainly the p]ointer and middle fingers.  That way he could get a nice mix of grip and feel.

Lol at this narrative that Ferrell is a great run stopper. 

We allowed a big run that we hardly ever allow. That's the reason for Jones getting over the 100 yard mark. We didn't shut him down before that but our run defense was fine for the most part after the first quarter. 

• Like 2

So the Packers have a good pass blocking unit but they also have TEs stay back to chip and help out. It's unfair to Bosa and the crew to think they can consistently win 4 on 6. I don't get why we blitzed so few times especially when it was obvious if we moved Love off his spot, he was vulnerable to throw an inaccurate pass. 

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lol at this narrative that Ferrell is a great run stopper. 

We allowed a big run that we hardly ever allow. That's the reason for Jones getting over the 100 yard mark. We didn't shut him down before that but our run defense was fine for the most part after the first quarter. 

And that big run was mostly on Ryan taking a horrendous angle to the ball and not fitting his gap properly. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So the Packers have a good pass blocking unit but they also have TEs stay back to chip and help out. It's unfair to Bosa and the crew to think they can consistently win 4 on 6. I don't get why we blitzed so few times especially when it was obvious if we moved Love off his spot, he was vulnerable to throw an inaccurate pass. 

Yeah I saw a stat mentioning GB’s oline has the second best win rate in pass protection in the league this year. 

Detroit’s oline is middle of the group 

17 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

And that big run was mostly on Ryan taking a horrendous angle to the ball and not fitting his gap properly. 

Very pathetic tackle attempt as well by Ryan. Sometimes Kyle makes me so mad with how stubborn he is and how little he trusts young players lol. 

One thing is clear though, we need Hufanga back to his usual form next season. Likely Gibson's last season as well. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

2 blitzes is pretty low, but I think there was a strategy involved.  Love makes a lot of sweet plays within the system when he gets knocked off his spot.  Some of the really late in cuts throws he made to the sideline with his off platform feet were impressive, hard to prepare for, and hard to replicate.  Watching this trait get passed down to a 3rd generation is odd, but hey, this is like the 5th or 6th iteration of the YAC bros here in SF. Anyhow......

I think the idea going in is that even though Love will toss one to the other team when he gets moved from his spot, the damage he will do against 5 and 6 man coverages negates the one or two big plays he gives back.  He is quick off the spot, feels the pressure well, moves back well, and has a quick trigger.  He is harder to sack than to pressure, so if we can get him off his spot with 4 instead of 5 or 6, then it will help limit the big plays on the back end.  

I would have liked to see a few more pressures and pressure looks sprinkled in, but I am ok with not blitzing Love's face off.  The Lions and Bucs would be a different.  I'd like to see us move Goff from his spot, or hit baker.  We;'ve seen the affect of both of those things the first +5 minutes of the DET TB game

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John232 said:

Lmao lombardi getting cooked so hard for the Montana comparison 

Not the best comparison if he's using the 1981 NFC title game. That Cowboys team was the 2nd seed, and had a quality roster up, and down. 

Montana though, in his other playoff games had a few shaky performances, even in the wins. A similar game is probably the '84 divisional against the Giants where the #1 seeded 49ers struggled at times against the #5 seeded (worst at the time) Giants, probably one of the worst teams to make the playoffs. Montana threw 3 picks (with 3 TDS) in that game, one returned by TD via Harry Carson. 49ers D largely bailed Joe out. 

Lombardi actually has a point, but probably falls into it backwards here. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe