Divisional Round: Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Detroit Lions Sunday 3pm ET NBC

Louis Friend

What's with the failing to wrap up when tackling? I know Anzalone hurt his shoulder but if he can't wrap up he shouldn't be out there. There were several other players who did the same. Can't give Tampa extra yards.

1 hour ago, idoubtit said:

What's with the failing to wrap up when tackling? I know Anzalone hurt his shoulder but if he can't wrap up he shouldn't be out there. There were several other players who did the same. Can't give Tampa extra yards.

Missed tackles, poor tackling has been a gripe of mine forever. I think I mention it every single game. AG should spend one week teaching them how to friggin tackle. 

• Like 2

The first game with the Bucs was an absolute slobber-knocker.  It was the most physical game of the season and one of the most physical regular season games I can remember.  They won't say so directly but it was probably one of the reasons they got beat down by the Ravens in the following game.  If I remember correctly, they were limited to a walk-through on Wednesday because they were so beat-up.  I don't think they will be quite as physical for this game.  That said, the Lions match-up fairly well with the Bucs.  Keys to the game for me:

Lions Offense vs Bucs Defense:

1.  LB Lavonte David basically erased Sam LaPorta in the first game and will probably do so again.  Plan accordingly.

2.  Do not try to run east and west against the Bucs Defense--they are too fast.  A misdirection might work if they are over-pursuing though.

3.  The running game will have to be productive despite the fact the Bucs strong D-Line.  I suspect we will be running behind Penei Sewell a lot

4.  They have a solid secondary with Jamel Dean, Antoine Winfield Jr and Carlton Davis.  Be smart with how you test them

5.  Get Jameson Williams involved.  We are going to need him because of the Lavonte David/Sam LaPorta match-up.

6.  Limit the damage done by Vita Vea.  He is going to affect the offense.  They have to find ways to limit his disruptiveness

7.  One x-factor to watch:  Yaya Diaby.  He notched 7.5 sacks as a rookie this year and became a starter.  His length and size are no joke.  His combine measurements:  arm length-33 7/8 inches, hand size-10 3/8 inches.  He is listed at 270 Lbs and looks like all of that.  He also has one of the coolest names I have ever seen.

Lions Defense vs Bucs Offense:

1.  Fix whatever is ailing the Lions with respect to missed tackles

2.  Pressure Baker Mayfield.  Specifically, get in his face and make his height a disadvantage.  His accuracy goes down a lot when that happens

3.  The Safeties need to keep everything in front of them to limit big plays.  "Cover-0" should be avoided as much as possible (see the Eagles game)

4.  Their O-Line is playing much better than they were in the first game.  It is going to take more creativity to stress them and create pressure

Edited by Just Want A Title

7 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Missed tackles, poor tackling has been a gripe of mine forever. I think I mention it every single game. AG should spend one week teaching them how to friggin tackle. 

The Eagles got eaten alive because of missed tackles.  The Bucs aren't a strong running team but even Rachad White made them pay for their missed tackles.  The YAC and big plays caused by missed tackles in the passing game killed the Eagles defense.  Hopefully the Lions noticed that.

21 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Eagles got eaten alive because of missed tackles.  The Bucs aren't a strong running team but even Rachad White made them pay for their missed tackles.  The YAC and big plays caused by missed tackles in the passing game killed the Eagles defense.  Hopefully the Lions noticed that.

It’s one of the reasons Jack Campbell and Brian Branch were pre draft favorites of mine, they very VERY rarely miss tackles. I was hoping that would rub off on others *cough*Anzalone*cough* but so far, it hasn’t. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

It’s one of the reasons Jack Campbell and Brian Branch were pre draft favorites of mine, they very VERY rarely miss tackles. I was hoping that would rub off on others *cough*Anzalone*cough* but so far, it hasn’t. 

Hopefully they will wrap up well and stay away from the shoulder-block tackles.

10 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Stopping receivers? What's that? This is the Lions.. We don't stop receivers.

They have been letting one WR get his and shutting down overall rest of team for most part.   Forgot who posted the WR#1 numbers for Jefferson, and others last night but saw the numbers and it is how the defense is handling WR #1s

19 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

They have been letting one WR get his and shutting down overall rest of team for most part.   Forgot who posted the WR#1 numbers for Jefferson, and others last night but saw the numbers and it is how the defense is handling WR #1s

Used to call it the Jordan rules. Let them get theirs, shut everyone else down. 

31 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

The Lions did a good job of limiting Mike Evans and Chris Godwin in their first game.  At this point, Mike Evans is a good WR but probably not on the level of a Cee Dee Lamb.  He also makes his fair share of mental mistakes.  He is still dangerous though.  Brian Branch and the Safeties should be good enough to limit Chris Godwin also if they stay disciplined.

I am happy they have proved me wrong on my season prediction.  I am sure there will be plenty of people quoting predictions to mock it etc which I could give 2 craps about.

After being a fan for 5 decades and this only being the second playoff win of my lifetime I had a lot of right to be down on them.  They had done nothing to show me otherwise as a fan for too long.

I have witnessed some amazing teams with Barry, Herman Moore, Lomas Brown, Eddie Murray, Billy Sims, Mel Gray, Robert Porcher, Kevin Glover just to name a few......

And none of them lived up to the Hype with exception of the last playoff win team and they fizzled out too.

So I am frankly glad they proved me wrong but any fans who have not suffered as long as some of us on this forum dont have the same perspective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

I am happy they have proved me wrong on my season prediction.  I am sure there will be plenty of people quoting predictions to mock it etc which I could give 2 craps about.

After being a fan for 5 decades and this only being the second playoff win of my lifetime I had a lot of right to be down on them.  They had done nothing to show me otherwise as a fan for too long.

I have witnessed some amazing teams with Barry, Herman Moore, Lomas Brown, Eddie Murray, Billy Sims, Mel Gray, Robert Porcher, Kevin Glover just to name a few......

And none of them lived up to the Hype with exception of the last playoff win team and they fizzled out too.

So I am frankly glad they proved me wrong but any fans who have not suffered as long as some of us on this forum dont have the same perspective.

I think there are quite of few of us here with this mentality. I'm a 4 decade fan myself  and was completely in "I'll believe it when I see it" at the beginning of the season. The craziest thing is I think we only get better from here. Our last playoff win, we lost the interior of our OL with the injury to Utley and the tragic death of Eric Andolsek. I hope that Lions luck doesn't return. It always seemed when we were close, something ridiculous would happen and the wheels would fall off. But hopefully nothing like that happens again and until then, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy this season as it has already exceeded all my expectations.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

The good news is that the core of this team is young and their window for success is just opening.  Brad Holmes and Company are focused on building a team that is a consistent winner so we should be able to enjoy this ride for a while.

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

The good news is that the core of this team is young and their window for success is just opening.  Brad Holmes and Company are focused on building a team that is a consistent winner so we should be able to enjoy this ride for a while.

But that has been teams in past too....and then things just happened and bad decisions were made financially and it all fell apart.

21 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

But that has been teams in past too....and then things just happened and bad decisions were made financially and it all fell apart.

You said it best--Past Teams.  This group of players, this ownership team, this front office are not those teams or operating like teams from other eras.

• Like 1