Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

7 minutes ago, offbyone said:

If they are intending to draft a qb then I see no reason to sign one who is expensive.  We have howell already.  We have 2 qb coaches.  I really don't see the need to sign a high priced vet.  There are tons of cheaper options.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have little faith in these QBs being day 1 starter ready. Howell is likely to never see a snap here again, barring injury. Carrying 3 QBs is almost a must as well. So as you said, there are cheaper options, but it should be someone we consider starter-worthy.

A few free agents I would sign:

Mike Onwenu- RT starter

Robert Hunt- Played RG, he and Sam can battle it out who will play RG.

Xavier McKinney-S, Have a feeling K. Curl will be playing somewhere else.

Isaiah Simmons- LB, very good athlete which we lack on this team, feel DQ and JW can find a way to get the most out of him.

Bryce Huff- DE, needing a pass rusher

Bobby Wagner- LB, 33/34 still playing at a super high level and has the affiliation with DQ. Could possibly help J. Davis 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have little faith in these QBs being day 1 starter ready. Howell is likely to never see a snap here again, barring injury. Carrying 3 QBs is almost a must as well. So as you said, there are cheaper options, but it should be someone we consider starter-worthy.

You think we are going to use the #2 overall pick on a qb and not expect him to start?   I expect him to start and kingsbury to develop the player by spoon feeding the offense.

If we keep Howell, I have no problem with him playing backup.  Sure carry 3 qbs, but I don't want to spend real money on a 3rd qb.  

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don't understand letting Kam Curl walk

I would have perhaps franchised him. He's projected to get a huge contract. $14+ million a year according to Sportrac. When we don't have a starting LT on the roster, I can understand why. Kam has been average the past 2 years. 

9 hours ago, taylor made said:

I would have perhaps franchised him. He's projected to get a huge contract. $14+ million a year according to Sportrac. When we don't have a starting LT on the roster, I can understand why. Kam has been average the past 2 years. 

Wasn't he our highest graded defender on a defense ranked in the top 5 in DVOA the season before last?

15 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

On a side-note, now that Baker Mayfield has escaped the tag, how does everyone feel about him as a potential target. He had a pretty good year last year. He is the best FA QB other than Kirk Cousins. Having a vet, Sam Howell and a rookie QB would be pretty nice, IMO.

Speaking of Cousins, I know there are some that still hold ill-will, but I wouldn't be opposed to a reunion there as well.

1 or 2 year deals would give the rookie a year to sit and learn before taking the reins.

If you're not going to start the rookie QB, why not just run it back with Howell? Is Baker that much of an upgrade over Howell that you pay that money, start someone not in your long term future, on a team that isn't ready to compete this year? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, offbyone said:

You think we are going to use the #2 overall pick on a qb and not expect him to start?   I expect him to start and kingsbury to develop the player by spoon feeding the offense.

If we keep Howell, I have no problem with him playing backup.  Sure carry 3 qbs, but I don't want to spend real money on a 3rd qb.  

To me, that is a loaded question. I wouldn't spend the #2 pick on any of these QBs. I've even soured enough on Caleb Williams that I would go away from him as well. My #1 option would be to trade down and secure valuable assets for this year and years down the road. 

That isn't your question though, so I'll try to stick to the point. I think there is a 50-50 chance that after whatever QB is selected that they start. A lot would have to do with how quickly they can get into and grasp the playbook and how they look leading up to and through the preseason. Personally, if we are spending the #2 overall pick on ANY player, I want them to be a difference maker right away, but starting QBs early is a double-edged sword. 

47 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If you're not going to start the rookie QB, why not just run it back with Howell? Is Baker that much of an upgrade over Howell that you pay that money, start someone not in your long term future, on a team that isn't ready to compete this year? 

I mean Baker Mayfield is a former #1 overall pick who would be perfect in a Kingsbury offense. Everyone is hellbent on improving the QB position and I'm not exactly sure what "that money" is, but yes there is a price I would be willing to pay for a starting caliber NFL QB. 

As for running it back with Howell, at this point does anyone truly see that as a viable option? I'm not saying that Howell isn't capable, because I truly believe he is an NFL starter, but Howell got his shot* last year and is unlikely to get another one. It is my belief that before the draft even happens, another QB is added.

*Fair shot or not, most drafted QBs in the 5th round don't even get what he got.

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I mean Baker Mayfield is a former #1 overall pick who would be perfect in a Kingsbury offense. Everyone is hellbent on improving the QB position and I'm not exactly sure what "that money" is, but yes there is a price I would be willing to pay for a starting caliber NFL QB. 

As for running it back with Howell, at this point does anyone truly see that as a viable option? I'm not saying that Howell isn't capable, because I truly believe he is an NFL starter, but Howell got his shot* last year and is unlikely to get another one. It is my belief that before the draft even happens, another QB is added.

*Fair shot or not, most drafted QBs in the 5th round don't even get what he got.

We would be Baker's 5th team (and 4th in 3 years). Do you not think he's gotten his shot as well? He played well enough last year, no doubt, but what is he bringing to this franchise that other stop gaps haven't? How are we moving forward in this franchise with Baker other than probably starting at 7 wins again? 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

We would be Baker's 5th team (and 4th in 3 years). Do you not think he's gotten his shot as well? He played well enough last year, no doubt, but what is he bringing to this franchise that other stop gaps haven't? How are we moving forward in this franchise with Baker other than probably starting at 7 wins again? 

Both of his last two teams have wanted to bring him back, so it's a bit disingenuous to call him a stop gap. He absolutely was viewed in Cleveland as the guy, until he wasn't. The Rams brought him in as a fill-in for Stafford. They weren't willing to replace Stafford with Mayfield, but they wanted him back. Tampa is ready to commit as well. 

What I think Mayfield would bring is stability at the position for as long as he is there. I truly believe this team is not a "QB away" but having a guy there isn't going to hurt us either. I would prefer signing a guy like Mayfield/Cousins/Wilson over drafting a rookie and trashing his development behind a piss poor roster. I'm alone in this thinking and I'm ok with that.

Something that hasn't been discussed, I don't think, but I was thinking about is Jamin Davis's 5th year option. I don't think we pick it up. I haven't seen anything from Davis that would make me want to guarantee 14.5M for next year. 

Not a big fan of letting Kam Curl just walk, if that’s what the “✌🏼” is supposed to signify.

I get that the organization has been a disaster in recent years, but I really don’t think that means everyone has to be purged. Some of these guys are good players and good teammates that could be beneficial to a new regime, even if they’ve played here during dark years. 

As with Leno, I do not feel tremendously sanguine about our chances of replacing Curl with an upgrade (or a cheaper comparable player) in this market.

• Like 1