Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t understand the McCarthy love and never will. To me he tops out as a mid QB. I’d compare him to Alex Smith as a prospect. Who, I could NOT believe went #1 overall in 2005! I understand Aaron Rodgers is an arse but him not going #1 will be one of biggest mistakes the 49ers ever made in the draft on top of passing on Patrick Mahomes with a bunch of other teams.

focus, turtle. focus....

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

focus, turtle. focus....

On what? The dude is a mid QB, he was mid in college & was carried by the Michigan run game. I can’t really speak to his leadership but people say he’s a good leader so that’s a plus but, he’s going to need a lot of support from a run game to be successful just as he did in college & maybe Minny has that with the addition of Aaron Jones but your D lost Hunter as its only good to elite pass rusher & Jordan Hicks as the MLB, so it’s hard to imagine your D being dominant. 

I have to be honest, I find it laughable that many analysts/writers think that he’s just going to step in for Kirk Cousins & the Vikes are going to be the same team. Kirk, Jefferson & Hockenson in the 2nd half of 2022 carried the Vikings to 13 wins. I’ve never see McCarthy carry Michigan at all. He threw the ball 22 to 23 times a game. I find it highly unlikely he’s all of a sudden going to be a 30 plus attempt a game passer and be successful which is what Minny is going to need from him.

I think Sam Darnold starts the season and McCarthy only takes over if Darnold struggles or the team is losing and it’s time to go to the rookie which seems likely to me. I think the Vikings are the worst team in the NFC North this year & they’ll be lucky to win 7 games.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

On what? 

i meant that you were going off on SF not drafting Aaron Rodgers.

criticism of McCarthy due to his lesser body of work is warranted, i get that. the Vikings this year drafted with development in mind. we'll see if it turns to be a smart strategy, or people lose their jobs over it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

criticism of McCarthy due to his lesser body of work is warranted, i get that. the Vikings this year drafted with development in mind. we'll see if it turns to be a smart strategy, or people lose their jobs over it.

Oh well honestly for me it’s not even about San Fran not taking Rodgers it’s that they obviously took Alex Smith too high as well.

I mean as a Skins fan, I still blame Gibbs for falling in love with Jason Campbell thinking he’d be the next Doug Williams and passing on Aaron Rodgers at #9 also. We took Carlos Rodgers over Aaron Rodgers and to this day we’re still searching for a franchise QB nearly 20 years later.

Hopefully Daniels can be that guy. I guess we’ll see. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Minnesota got a guy they targeted to be "the future," not the now. There is nothing wrong with what they did. McCarthy was devalued by Washington (and other teams) because they have a need NOW. Its a matter of what the drafting team needs. KOC is a good QB groomer, I think McCarthy will do well when he gets his chance.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Minnesota got a guy they targeted to be "the future," not the now. There is nothing wrong with what they did. McCarthy was devalued by Washington (and other teams) because they have a need NOW. Its a matter of what the drafting team needs. KOC is a good QB groomer, I think McCarthy will do well when he gets his chance.

yeah, i like Daniels a lot, and one of the main reasons is he's the most ready to play and lead a team. i don't consider Caleb W in the conversation, and i'm not sure he'll be successful with the Bears, given his entitled attitudes.

for the Vikings, not only does JJ need to develop, but pretty much every player they drafted does. most ready to play right away are Reichard the kicker and Dallas Turner. after that, all the other picks need reps and games.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

McCarthy was devalued by Washington (and other teams) because they have a need NOW.

understood. but actually it has come out that McCarthy was the #2 QB on WASH's list.

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

understood. but actually it has come out that McCarthy was the #3* QB on WASH's list.

I understand, but there was zero chance of him getting drafted by us with Daniels available. It wasn't close between Daniels and McCarthy. It was 2. Daniels---------3. McCarthy, not 2. Daniels - 3. McCarthy. They wanted the other QBs to show them something to change their minds and none of them did. 

*Fixing for semantic reasons as Caleb was clearly the #1 QB on all lists. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I understand, but there was zero chance of him getting drafted by us with Daniels available. It wasn't close between Daniels and McCarthy. 

oh i get that, and wasn't trying to infer they were closely ranked.

it would have been 1) draft Daniels, or 2) get such a trade haul offer that they'd forgo Daniels and get McCarthy later.

i never inferred they were contemplating drafting JJ at 2.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

oh i get that, and wasn't trying to infer they were closely ranked.

it would have been 1) draft Daniels, or 2) get such a trade haul offer that they'd forgo Daniels and get McCarthy later.

i never inferred they were contemplating drafting JJ at 2.

Unfortunately they did discuss it. But the way you described it is how my understanding went as well. Even though there were/are significant Maye supporters here, he was viewed as QB4 (or lower) by the F.O.

On 5/4/2024 at 1:45 PM, Slappy Mc said:

Man, I hope not.  If we drafted for the qb of next season, rather than the qb of the future I will be bummed.

I know you were all for trading down, so I know you were thinking long term.

Personally, I think both Washington and the vikings and likely the patriots should all consider what McCarthy did in college.  I think what Harbaugh did with him is a brilliant way to develop a qb.  Heck, it isn't that much different to what Chicago tried to do with Fields recently.  Commit to the running game.  Ask the qb to do as much as possible.  Let him have time to watch and allow the game slow down for him.  I think we should be thinking the exact same thing with Daniels.  Daniels isn't going to have time in the nfl as a rookie to be throwing deep fades to WRs with 2 steps on defenders.  We need to teach him to throw across the field and get past his outside reads.  

8 hours ago, offbyone said:

Man, I hope not.  If we drafted for the qb of next season, rather than the qb of the future I will be bummed

I think Daniels represented the "best of both worlds" as a player that can start immediately (which I don't think Maye or McCarthy can or should), and a player that will continue to get better and better as he plays.

I know a lot of people are down on him because he wasn't a world beater at ASU, but his improvement as a player from then till now is nothing short of a breakthrough. That's what every evaluator wants to see. When it clicks or a player finally hones in and achieves their potential. 

I think if he can take care of his body and play 17 games, he will do well. That is really my only concern. 

On 5/5/2024 at 9:19 AM, turtle28 said:

🤷🏼‍♂️

Kinda loaded tweet. We also had the most selections in the Top 53 with four. Arizona was second with three picks in that frame.