Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

40 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

To your point. The Jets both signed Tyron Smith AND drafted Olu Fashanu. I would have taken either in a heartbeat. 

I just don't understand why we have to be okay with this simply because its a new regime and they need time? They knew the tackle situation when they got here. They knew how bad this OL was because they immediately moved on from Gates, Leno and Charles. They probably would've moved on from Wylie as well if he didn't have the large dead cap hit. I know it can't all be fixed in one year but come on, you cannot go into the season with Wylie and Lucas starting. Depth, sure but starting? Geez oh man. 

The “we can’t fix everything in a year” argument just doesn’t hold much water with me in this specific situation. Yes, it’s true, impossible to fill every hole in a year. And yes, I wouldn’t care that much about the offensive personnel at all if we didn’t have a young QB to develop. 

For example, I don’t care if the defense is any good next year. We’re not going to compete next year — we were much too far from it last year for them to ever change that meaningfully in one offseason.

But we do have a very important task in front of us this year, and that task’s name is Jayden Daniels. The only thing, and I do truly mean only thing, that really matters about next season is doing everything we can to make sure Jayden is successful and begins his ascent to greatness. Which is a big part of why I’m concerned, because it feels a bit like they’ve been (at least) equally invested in building up the defense as they have been in the offense — and I don’t think that’s the right approach. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I just don't understand why we have to be okay with this simply because its a new regime and they need time? They knew the tackle situation when they got here. They knew how bad this OL was because they immediately moved on from Gates, Leno and Charles. They probably would've moved on from Wylie as well if he didn't have the large dead cap hit. I know it can't all be fixed in one year but come on, you cannot go into the season with Wylie and Lucas starting. Depth, sure but starting? Geez oh man. 

Thankfully they drafted a LT. When given the choice 5-10 year vets are going to play with the hall of fame QB, not a rookie.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The “we can’t fix everything in a year” argument just doesn’t hold much water with me in this specific situation. Yes, it’s true, impossible to fill every hole in a year. And yes, I wouldn’t care that much about the offensive personnel at all if we didn’t have a young QB to develop. 

For example, I don’t care if the defense is any good next year. We’re not going to compete next year — we were much too far from it last year for them to ever change that meaningfully in one offseason.

But we do have a very important task in front of us this year, and that task’s name is Jayden Daniels. The only thing, and I do truly mean only thing, that really matters about next season is doing everything we can to make sure Jayden is successful and begins his ascent to greatness. Which is a big part of why I’m concerned, because it feels a bit like they’ve been (at least) equally invested in building up the defense as they have been in the offense — and I don’t think that’s the right approach. 

Am I the only one who remembers Lucas protecting Alex Smith in 2020 when Alex could barely move bc of the broken leg he suffered in 2018?

Lucas was our starting LT for most of the 2020 season. He’s a serviceable LT. If he can protect a one legged Alex Smith’s blind side, he can protect an incredibly mobile Jayden Daniels’s blind side unless Jayden runs into sacks ala RG3 in 2013 & 14 and Sam Howell. 

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Am I the only one who remembers Lucas protecting Alex Smith in 2020 when Alex could barely move bc of the broken leg he suffered in 2018?

Lucas was our starting LT for most of the 2020 season. He’s a serviceable LT. If he can protect a one legged Alex Smith’s blind side, he can protect an incredibly mobile Jayden Daniels’s blind side unless Jayden runs into sacks ala RG3 in 2013 & 14 and Sam Howell. 

I think mobility is a much smaller factor in avoiding pressure/sacks than processing and decisiveness. Jayden has always been extremely mobile — but he was very bad at avoiding pressure/sacks until his senior year, when apparently things clicked from a processing standpoint (thanks, magic VR box!). As a rookie, there’s no way he’s going to be a high-end NFL quarterback IQ guy like Alex Smith was in his 15th season. Smith could defend himself with his brain, getting the ball out quickly. To be an effective passer out of the gate, Jayden will need better protection than Smith, not worse.

Anyway, Lucas is 33 now, as opposed to being 29 back in 2020. Probably fair to assume he’s lost a little mobility. And I think it’s a lot easier to be a part-time swing tackle than it is to be the primary LT — sort of like with backup QBs, it takes a few games for the opposition to pull together a scouting report and attack plan for your specific weaknesses.

I’m a fan of Lucas, generally speaking, but there’s no denying that he’s hit FA twice since that 2020 season, and the rest of the league has been totally uninterested. Both times he’s just come back here for very small contracts (2/$6.5M and 1/$2.8M). The league is desperate for OTs who can play, but basically everyone is passing on this guy.

But even more to the point than any of that, there are a couple other factors in the critique of the FO on this issue:

A. Even if Lucas is great, the RT is still Wylie. Which surely is less than ideal. 

B. Lucas and Wylie as the starters is Plan A. That’s the plan. What happens if one or both of them get hurt?

The bottom line is that hoping and praying that we can get through the season with Lucas/Wylie as our starting OTs is a terrible plan. Even if they’re adequate, which is probably the best case scenario from a quality-of-play standpoint, that’s only good enough if they both manage to stay on the field all year. If you lose one or both for extended time, your options as of now are the very raw rookie Coleman, Trent Scott, or Alex Akingbulu. That’s your swing tackle at the moment — one of those three guys.

It’s just not good enough. They needed to get another guy who can reasonably start in 2024. Maybe they still will, the offseason isn’t over. But what they have in place right now is an embarrassingly bad effort, given the high stakes of making sure Jayden’s transition goes as well as it can.

16 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Don’t worry about the Offensive Line we signed UDFA David Nwaogwugwu for the RT position. 

Sorry, I didn’t include David Nwaogwugwu in my listing of contenders for the swing tackle spot.

I’d already used up all my vowels on Alex Akingbulu.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 10:24 PM, e16bball said:

I think mobility is a much smaller factor in avoiding pressure/sacks than processing and decisiveness. Jayden has always been extremely mobile — but he was very bad at avoiding pressure/sacks until his senior year, when apparently things clicked from a processing standpoint (thanks, magic VR box!). As a rookie, there’s no way he’s going to be a high-end NFL quarterback IQ guy like Alex Smith was in his 15th season. Smith could defend himself with his brain, getting the ball out quickly. To be an effective passer out of the gate, Jayden will need better protection than Smith, not worse.

Anyway, Lucas is 33 now, as opposed to being 29 back in 2020. Probably fair to assume he’s lost a little mobility. And I think it’s a lot easier to be a part-time swing tackle than it is to be the primary LT — sort of like with backup QBs, it takes a few games for the opposition to pull together a scouting report and attack plan for your specific weaknesses.

I’m a fan of Lucas, generally speaking, but there’s no denying that he’s hit FA twice since that 2020 season, and the rest of the league has been totally uninterested. Both times he’s just come back here for very small contracts (2/$6.5M and 1/$2.8M). The league is desperate for OTs who can play, but basically everyone is passing on this guy.

But even more to the point than any of that, there are a couple other factors in the critique of the FO on this issue:

A. Even if Lucas is great, the RT is still Wylie. Which surely is less than ideal. 

B. Lucas and Wylie as the starters is Plan A. That’s the plan. What happens if one or both of them get hurt?

The bottom line is that hoping and praying that we can get through the season with Lucas/Wylie as our starting OTs is a terrible plan. Even if they’re adequate, which is probably the best case scenario from a quality-of-play standpoint, that’s only good enough if they both manage to stay on the field all year. If you lose one or both for extended time, your options as of now are the very raw rookie Coleman, Trent Scott, or Alex Akingbulu. That’s your swing tackle at the moment — one of those three guys.

It’s just not good enough. They needed to get another guy who can reasonably start in 2024. Maybe they still will, the offseason isn’t over. But what they have in place right now is an embarrassingly bad effort, given the high stakes of making sure Jayden’s transition goes as well as it can.

It's certainly an assumption that Lucas doesn't move as well as he did 4 years ago. It's not like he's started every game & got his body best up like Leno. At most Lucas played about a 1/2 a season every season since he got here.

But his strength isn't mobility, a lot like Trent Brown, it's hard to get through & around Lucas bc of his size & strength. 6’8, 325-330 is not easy for a 250-280 lb DE to get around to through even if they're quicker than them.

In no way do I think that Peters’s plan A was/is to start Lucas & Wylie at OT. I believe they tried to sign Tyron Smith & other top OTs available but those guys chose to go to teams with more stable QB situations to hopefully make it to the playoffs or more.

I mean for Tyron Smith you taking Aaron Rodgers or a rookie QB? That's a no-brainer for him. 

Wylie isn't the best, but he's serviceable. I know people hate hearing it, but Sam ran into or caused himself several sacks last year. It was not all all on the OL & for as much as I'm not a huge Wylie fan, he was better than our C & LG’s.

Edited by turtle28

The OL is a unit, not an individual player. Off-season is not yet over. I would like for them to do more at the T position; however, they didn't...

But this group isn't negligent either, they literally have been the most diligent group I have ever seen. The Coaching search, the QB Process, the FA process. My assumption is that they did their diligence with the OL.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

It leaked out that Sainristil got Jersey 2, where does that leave Dyami?

Probably cut. If Dyami got paid for the number, good on him. Sainristil will absolutely be on the team longer than Brown. 

• Like 1