Conference Championships

Leader

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

5 years.  $260M.  22.15M this year.  They are paying their QB.  But they are in the very early stages of that deal, much like we will be with Love shortly.

Thanks, Vegas! Not being a math person, how much is that in % of the cap?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm talking about MacReady's QB-Cap Hypothesis. The cap cost of the QB is the main variable. If Brady could take less money (and therefore use less cap space) because he was married to a rich woman, that is very relevant. That actually makes Brady an outlier. In MacReady's Hypothesis, a low paid QB (either a mediocre vet or a talented QB on a rookie contract) leaves enough cap space to build the steel machine.

Brady signed for less because he was ok with doing so in order to gain better players around him.  No NFL QB signing a 2nd contract is going to be hurting for money and retirement if they take 10-15% less on a contract.  It is a choice that each QB makes.

• Like 1

Just now, squire12 said:

Brady signed for less because he was ok with doing so in order to gain better players around him.  No NFL QB signing a 2nd contract is going to be hurting for money and retirement if they take 10-15% less on a contract.  It is a choice that each QB makes.

Yes, Brady chose trophies over dollars, but it didn't hurt that his wife was rich.

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Yes, Brady chose trophies over dollars, but it didn't hurt that his wife was rich.

I really don't think Burrow, Herbert, Rodgers, Hurts, Jackson, Allen are hurting for money whether they have a rich significant other or not.  It is a choice the QB makes, but passing off the reason that Brady did lesser contracts because he had a rich wife is not giving Brady the full credit he probably deserves

Just now, squire12 said:

I really don't think Burrow, Herbert, Rodgers, Hurts, Jackson, Allen are hurting for money whether they have a rich significant other or not.  It is a choice the QB makes, but passing off the reason that Brady did lesser contracts because he had a rich wife is not giving Brady the full credit he probably deserves

Point taken. 

I never underestimate greed. Brady seems to be the only QB to have chosen trophies over money. That makes him an outlier no matter the reason.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I don't know what you're talking about

you said: 

"They are not that innately talented."

meaning Goff and Purdy and then pointed to Purdy's draft status as a reason why he's not "that innately talented". I think this is foolish thinking - to judge a veteran player on their draft status. So I asked if you also though Brady wasn't that talented (due to his draft status).

Let's just look at their on-field production and ability. Using that, Goff and Purdy are both absolutely talented QBs. Both were in MVP discussion this year. You don't get to that point by being untalented.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

you said: 

"They are not that innately talented."

meaning Goff and Purdy and then pointed to Purdy's draft status as a reason why he's not "that innately talented". I think this is foolish thinking - to judge a veteran player on their draft status. So I asked if you also though Brady wasn't that talented (due to his draft status).

Let's just look at their on-field production and ability. Using that, Goff and Purdy are both absolutely talented QBs. Both were in MVP discussion this year. You don't get to that point by being untalented.

Most all NFL starters are good, but these two are not great. Who would you rather have Burrow or Goff? Mahomes or Purdy? We can argue the point, but that would be pointless.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Most all NFL starters are good, but these two are not great. Who would you rather have Burrow or Goff? Mahomes or Purdy? We can argue the point, but that would be pointless.

Needs more context. For the same price, Burrow and Mahomes. At their current price, Purdy over Mahomes. Goff is an UFA, so TBD on comparing him to Burrow and his massive deal.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Needs more context. For the same price, Burrow and Mahomes. At their current price, Purdy over Mahomes. Goff is an UFA, so TBD on comparing him to Burrow and his massive deal.

None of that is relevant to the MacReady Hypothesis. Both Purdy and Goff are good (my opinion) to great (your opinion) QBs playing on low contracts. Purdy is on his rookie contract (cap hit less than 1%) and Goff's cap hit is about 14% of the team's allowance.  Mahomes'  cap hit is 25%. Lamar Jackson has a 10% cap hit. 

According to the MacReady Hypothesis, SF (1%) beats Detroit (14%*). Baltimore (10%) beats KC (25%). SF has a slight edge over Baltimore in the Super Bowl, but that extends the hypothesis a little beyond its predictive value. It would be better to call it a toss up. The clear loser here though is KC.

*I can't remember if the MacReady cutoff is 12 or 15%.

16 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Thanks, Vegas! Not being a math person, how much is that in % of the cap?

224.8M is the salary cap for 2023.

22.15M is his reported compensation.  Looks like just under 10%.  Again, he's very early in his new deal.

Franchise tag is 34.4M for comparison. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 5:25 PM, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Point taken. 

I never underestimate greed. Brady seems to be the only QB to have chosen trophies over money. That makes him an outlier no matter the reason.

I'm going to bet that CJ Stroud will also do that.  Don't know why but I get this feeling he too will pass up an expensive contract so that the Texans continue to build around him.

14 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I'm going to bet that CJ Stroud will also do that.  Don't know why but I get this feeling he too will pass up an expensive contract so that the Texans continue to build around him.

I'll believe it when I see him married to a supermodel who pulls down serious coin that would make his paycheck look like chump change.

• Like 1

Well, gonna be the buildup this Sunday to either the novel Superbowl experience, or a dreaded repeat of previous bowls

Best outcome would be the Ravens facing the Lions in it

Yeah it'd suck to feel like Detroit stole our glory by beating SF, but at the same time it feels like this offense fireworks Superbowl would be preferable to another bum SF repeat bowl

Worst outcome would be another KC vs SF bowl.  Oh I'd still watch it, but I'd have very little excitement for it.  Not only was it just played 4 years ago, but the KC offense has been kinda painful to watch all year, and just feels like this would be a bit of a sloppy game.

In between :  Det vs KC, would be nuts to see the first ever SB be the exact same game as the Thursday night opener.  But feels like it would also be a bit like the opener in terms of sloppiness

SF vs Bal:  Yeah, a repeat bowl too, but a bit longer ago with two very different teams and this one would have a pretty good game flow I think.  Only thing that sucks is the lack of the dramatic leadup stories like the Harbaugh bros battle, Ray Lewis retiring, Mile High Miracle and of course the NOLA blackout.  Still, I could still see this being second best in entertainment if Bal vs Det didn't happen.