2024 offseason, a lot of work to do.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Any defense is going to have moving parts every year, and people who do or don't pan out, but I think where we are at right now talent wise is a lot better than where any of thought we were headed about 15 months ago when 8 of 11 starters were slated to become free agents. 

Also brought in Huff. All things considered, I'd say Howie has done well to replenish our ranks, even if there are some who don't pan out as well as we hope.

It's hard to be upset with what Howie has done.  Inevitably not every move is going to work out, but he's dumping plenty of available resources into making the defense better.  Every starter on offense minus RG, SWR, and TE is locked up for the next 3 years.  I imagine that they will continue to use high picks on defense over the next couple off-seasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

This is very similar to what was reported after the 2020 season. We have seen the team get really toxic real fast three times and it has become one phase of the Howie cycles. 

To be fair, Kenny Gainwell is not the guy I want to hear it from.  He was clearly a problem last year.

5 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

It's hard to be upset with what Howie has done.  Inevitably not every move is going to work out, but he's dumping plenty of available resources into making the defense better.  Every starter on offense minus RG, SWR, and TE is locked up for the next 3 years.  I imagine that they will continue to use high picks on defense over the next couple off-seasons.

I think the top priorities for us going into the draft next year are going to be Right side of the O-Line and Tight End. 

With an outside shot of a LB, EDGE, or receiver sneaking into day 1/2. somewhere

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

I think the top priorities for us going into the draft next year are going to be Right side of the O-Line and Tight End. 

With an outside shot of a LB, EDGE, or receiver sneaking into day 1/2. somewhere

Edge will definitely be a priority.  Sweat, Graham, and probably Baun are all probably gone after this year.  Maybe they try to bring Baun back, but zero chance they don't use a premium asset on an edge rusher when all the will have is Huff, Smith, and Jalyx left.

4 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Edge will definitely be a priority.  Sweat, Graham, and probably Baun are all probably gone after this year.  Maybe they try to bring Baun back, but zero chance they don't use a premium asset on an edge rusher when all the will have is Huff, Smith, and Jalyx left.

Next year, I'm definitely fine with going RT in round 1 and EDGE/TE in day 2

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

Edge is very likely 1st round draft pick consideration as much as RT is. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Edge is very likely 1st round draft pick consideration as much as RT is. 

They may honestly skip over tackle in the early rounds again next year depending on how things go at RG.  Could easily see EDGE, TE, then LB or DT as their 1st 3 picks.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I'm all for a boring, trench-laden draft next year. 2024 was the fun one I really couldn't have drawn it up any better. And what's nice is, it seems the strengths of next year line up nicely with where we'll probably go.

19 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I wonder if Josh Sweat has any shot of being back beyond this season? EDGE is probably my #1 pick for next year's first. Honestly DT is up there too. I'd be fine with half of the picks being trenches.

I can't imagine he's back.  They need to cut expenses somewhere with as much money as they have invested in the offense.  It's hard to justify paying Sweat a market level deal next season when his production can be replicated with cheaper players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasperX22 said:

I can't imagine he's back.  They need to cut expenses somewhere with as much money as they have invested in the offense.  It's hard to justify paying Sweat a market level deal next season when his production can be replicated with cheaper players.

Got some SERIOUS work to do at EDGE then. Wouldn't be opposed to double dipping there next year like we did corner this year. Either that or trade for a significant player or sign one. If Sweat isn't back, then all you really have are Huff, Smith and Hunt. Two of which are complete unknowns this year. And one of which will remain an unknown entering 2025. If I'm being honest, I'm not crazy about our EDGE group this year. It feels about as unsettled as I can remember in a long time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Danger said:

Confident in:

Carter
Quinyon
DeJean

Still optimistic:

Ringo
Ricks
Blankenship
Brown
Davis
Nolan

Not a strong believer:
Ojomo
Dean
Jobe

Agreed, although my "still optimistic" is more like "jury is out" but same sentiment I'm sure. I think we're in a solid spot defensively, doesn't mean we're set to have a good defense in the future but if half of the guys (besides Carter*) on this list pan out we're sitting pretty.

*already a proven commodity to me.

2024 defense is reliant on the progress of a lot of young guys, could go really well, could go really poorly, but talent is there. Confident by 2025 defense can be a flat out strength as we learn who can be relied on and what spots need help, although given our offense's window it'd be nice if defense started to click ASAP. 

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Agreed, although my "still optimistic" is more like "jury is out" but same sentiment I'm sure. I think we're in a solid spot defensively, doesn't mean we're set to have a good defense in the future but if half of the guys (besides Carter*) on this list pan out we're sitting pretty.

*already a proven commodity to me.

2024 defense is reliant on the progress of a lot of young guys, could go really well, could go really poorly, but talent is there. Confident by 2025 defense can be a flat out strength as we learn who can be relied on and what spots need help, although given our offense's window it'd be nice if defense started to click ASAP. 

If the defense can just play like an average NFL defense I will be more than happy assuming a lot of the young guys are playing well of course.

16 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Got some SERIOUS work to do at EDGE then. Wouldn't be opposed to double dipping there next year like we did corner this year. Either that or trade for a significant player or sign one. If Sweat isn't back, then all you really have are Huff, Smith and Hunt. Two of which are complete unknowns this year. And one of which will remain an unknown entering 2025. If I'm being honest, I'm not crazy about our EDGE group this year. It feels about as unsettled as I can remember in a long time.

I would even say Huff is an unknown for this year to be honest. Last year could have been a flash in the pan for him. They better hope Sweat has a good year this year, otherwise our pass rush from the edge might be a weakness on this defense. If both of them have down years then I suspect the Eagles will either sign or trade for a proven edge next offseason.