Rayne Dakota Prescott

textaz03

What do you wanna see happen with Dak?   

20 members have voted

1. 1. What do you wanna see happen with Dak?

• Keep and resign
    • Cut pre-June 1st
    • Cut post June 1st
    • Trade prior March 17

25 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

That feels more like a reflection of the quality of his agent than him. Dak doesn't negotiate his deals. I'm positive that he has a say, but the leverage in his last contract was likely developed by his agent. Most players aren't that savvy.

Maybe.  Clients have a say and input when they want it.  I do transactional contracts.  Some people are hands off you handle it.  Others are basically running the show and you are their mouthpiece.  Some in between.   

He isn't only smart agent.  But guys like Cousins and Dak and Revis consistently maximize their earnings while others don't.

48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Maybe.  Clients have a say and input when they want it.  I do transactional contracts.  Some people are hands off you handle it.  Others are basically running the show and you are their mouthpiece.  Some in between.   

He isn't only smart agent.  But guys like Cousins and Dak and Revis consistently maximize their earnings while others don't.

I work in the contracts field as well. I think a good agent will guide his clients in a way which helps them to maximize their earnings. That's part of the business. But, the player also understands the internal nuances of the team that the agent won't, so it's likely a combination of the two. 

On 6/18/2024 at 10:22 AM, plan9misfit said:

That feels more like a reflection of the quality of his agent than him. Dak doesn't negotiate his deals. I'm positive that he has a say, but the leverage in his last contract was likely developed by his agent. Most players aren't that savvy.

You're being way to kind to the Joneses. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

You're being way to kind to the Joneses. 

They certainly have a way of backing themselves into a corner and then negotiating against themselves. That's for sure. None of the Clampett's understand how to negotiate a deal, or when to negotiate it. Continually waiting until the very last moment is why bad deals happen....not that they've figured that out yet.

On 6/19/2024 at 11:31 AM, dll2000 said:

What do you guys think happens with Dak?

What do you want to happen (beside him taking a cheap deal)?

Dallas either pays him $55-60m/yr or he walks.

I’m pretty numb to all the talk about Dak, if they re-sign good. Good QBs are hard to find. If they move on, so be it. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 9:31 AM, dll2000 said:

What do you guys think happens with Dak?

What do you want to happen (beside him taking a cheap deal)?

Honestly, I’d let him walk. He isn’t worth the money, and we won’t go far in the playoffs with him. His shortcomings as a player are amplified in those moments, as indicated by his very poor play and 2-5 record (in combination with the defense falling apart). So, from my position, there’s no reason to sacrifice the roster to keep a guy whom you know that you can’t win a championship with. Roll with a younger, less expensive guy and see how it goes. If he doesn’t work out either, then you at least have the benefit of a better draft pick.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Honestly, I’d let him walk. He isn’t worth the money, and we won’t go far in the playoffs with him. His shortcomings as a player are amplified in those moments, as indicated by his very poor play and 2-5 record (in combination with the defense falling apart). So, from my position, there’s no reason to sacrifice the roster to keep a guy whom you know that you can’t win a championship with. Roll with a younger, less expensive guy and see how it goes. If he doesn’t work out either, then you at least have the benefit of a better draft pick.

When is on he is really on, but the lack of success in big moments has to be frustrating.

If you are going to pay someone top dollar you want to win because of them.  He has to be a force multiplier.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

When is on he is really on, but the lack of success in big moments has to be frustrating.

If you are going to pay someone top dollar you want to win because of them.  He has to be a force multiplier.

That’s how I feel as well. Once if Dak’s biggest weaknesses - aside from comjng up physically and mentally small against teams above .500 and in the playoffs - is that he doesn’t make the players around him better. Rather, he relies on them to make him better, and you can’t pay a player that much money to be dependent on others. He has to elevate their games, and he can’t do that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

That’s how I feel as well. Once if Dak’s biggest weaknesses - aside from comjng up physically and mentally small against teams above .500 and in the playoffs - is that he doesn’t make the players around him better. Rather, he relies on them to make him better, and you can’t pay a player that much money to be dependent on others. He has to elevate their games, and he can’t do that.

There are two ways to win big in NFL historically with probably some few exceptions.

Option 1: Have a great defense with a great or really good Oline and have a good enough QB to help.  The greater the above the worse the QB can be.

Option 2: Have a great QB with a good enough Oline, weapons and defense to help him.  

Having the great QB is the preferred route of course because the other pieces are easier to fill in and the QB can presumably play for around a decade.  But it isn’t easy to procure great QBs.

But if you have one of those, let’s say top 5 guys, you can enter each season with a valid belief that you can compete for a title. 

But if you are paying the merely good and not great QB top dollar, it makes option 1 more difficult to achieve.  I am not a huge hard salary cap believer because it can be gamed by willing teams, but every team still has an internal budget so big salaries still matter.

It is not an easy choice for a GM or Coach.  Because having a terrible QB means having a terrible team.  Having a terrible team means you will have a quick exit. 

It should be much easier decision for a family run team and GM.  They aren’t going to fire themselves.  But they still think if I can just draft one more really good player we can win with this guy.  Look at how good I draft.  And you are almost right, but you really have to nail the draft almost perfectly and that is hard.  If say Mazi Smith turned out to be Chris Jones or Aaron Donald you might have a title.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Cowboys scored more points against the Packers in the playoffs than the 49ers scored against the Packers the next week. 

4 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Cowboys scored more points against the Packers in the playoffs than the 49ers scored against the Packers the next week. 

What is main difference in 2023 between Purdy and Love on side and Dak on other? 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

There are two ways to win big in NFL historically with probably some few exceptions.

Option 1: Have a great defense with a great or really good Oline and have a good enough QB to help.  The greater the above the worse the QB can be.

Option 2: Have a great QB with a good enough Oline, weapons and defense to help him.  

Having the great QB is the preferred route of course because the other pieces are easier to fill in and the QB can presumably play for around a decade.  But it isn’t easy to procure great QBs.

But if you have one of those, let’s say top 5 guys, you can enter each season with a valid belief that you can compete for a title. 

But if you are paying the merely good and not great QB top dollar, it makes option 1 more difficult to achieve.  I am not a huge hard salary cap believer because it can be gamed by willing teams, but every team still has an internal budget so big salaries still matter.

It is not an easy choice for a GM or Coach.  Because having a terrible QB means having a terrible team.  Having a terrible team means you will have a quick exit. 

It should be much easier decision for a family run team and GM.  They aren’t going to fire themselves.  But they still think if I can just draft one more really good player we can win with this guy.  Look at how good I draft.  And you are almost right, but you really have to nail the draft almost perfectly and that is hard.  If say Mazi Smith turned out to be Chris Jones or Aaron Donald you might have a title.  

That's exactly how I see it. And, knowing that Dak isn't in that upper echelon of QBs (very few guys are), paying him money at that tier only hurts the team since it means losing players at other positions, which erodes on-field production. And, given the way the Jones family continually bumbles the cap, they've proven incapable of gaming it to where it poses little risk to long term strategic vision. Not having a real GM or a true salary cap guru makes it difficult to navigate through the ever-increasing salaries because they aren't forward thinkers. They never strike early, which not only causes them to lose negotiation leverage and pay higher contract salaries, but also forces them to agree to unusual contract terms which dramatically favor the player.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 1