Who do you want as the Steelers new Offensive Coordinator?

while some here may not like the Smith hire as much as some other candidates, I doubt he could do any worse than what tomlin has fielded in the playoffs.  Thats zero 0 points in the first quarter in the last 5 games .   Canada and fichner were both terrible, so it's been about 5 years  now. Maybe 3rd hire since the offence fell apart is the one that is legit 

not sure why I might be interested. 5 years and lousy playoffs , the tomlin legacy as I see it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AFF said:

Bijan and Pitts especially…I wanna see how they QB coach/passing game coordinator/OL coach stuff goes down here in the next few weeks.

Again, the HC gets to fall on the sword for his players and staff's failures. Truthfully, too much put on Desmond Ritter and the OL didn't seem to be as stout as they were the year before. No one wants to give these young QB's time to develop and put them in situations to be successful it seems except the 49'ers with Brock Purdy.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Honestly my bigger fear is a fun based PA offense is going to make us think Kenny is better than he is

I don't think Kenny Pickett is the problem. I believe that too much was expected of him too soon. Remember his rookie year, I was saying that he needed to sit for the year. I kept saying that I hoped Mitch would improve, so that there would be no temptation to put in Pickett. Then we knew once he got in there you couldn't pull him or it would destroy his confidence.

We saw Pickett in preseason when given time to pass and with offensive execution he looked like he was going to light it up in 2023. The OL failed, the play calling was disastrous, and player execution was inconsistent at best.  Pickett got hit on more than a pretty girl at happy hour. He wasn't just getting pressured and sacked, it was the hits he took every time he stepped back to pass. He developed what they call "happy feet." His pocket presence was terrible. 

Give him a OL, run game, better play designs, play action, him under center more, better OL's and you will see a better Kenny Pickett.  Despite how "bad" he was the Steelers were still 7-3 this year in games he started and finished. 

He is not elite like Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar, or Allen, but he can be Goff.  Goff's been to a SB and was some bad decisions and drops away from being in the SB with his second team. I think Kenny is and can be in that range given the same tools to work with.

and we keep/extend him.

If he plays well keep him. If not, they have to move on. This upcoming season is going to be big for Pickett. He will have to swim or sink.  The honeymoon is certainly over.

Smith's offense feels built to make a bad QB look better through bigger passing lanes and levels reads. 

I hate to admit this because I was not a fan of the hiring or the timing of the hiring, but if this is the result, we can't complain. I think there is a difference between a young QB and a bad QB.  It took Mason some time before the light turned on. He looked very 55/45 or 60/40 in his play early on. He missed a chance to step up against a bad Lions team a few years ago.  I know the weather was bad and the Steelers had a bunch of fumbles, but he missed passes, open receivers, and just didn't take his game to the next level.  Two years later he was a fumble, a poor decision, and a few missed defensive holding/PI calls  away from potentially upsetting the Bills.

I have no problem admitting if I am wrong, but I think Pickett will be fine as long as he gets the support around him that a young QB needs. I believe that once he regains his confidence, he will get his swagger and mojo back and then can elevate his game to the next level. IT's not worth discussing now, because he hasn't completed step one, but that is what I believe from what I see of Pickett. He's a fighter despite not having elite skills.

Da da da da da da da da...........

Rocky-Balboa-Foto-Cortes%C3%ADa-656x1024

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’m not going to lie what optimism I do have for the hire will be zapped if Sullivan and Pat Meyer are both actually back 

or they don't add another position like passing coordinator 

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’m not going to lie what optimism I do have for the hire will be zapped if Sullivan and Pat Meyer are both actually back 

I will start with Sullivan.  I don't think that he was the issue with Pickett.  He was probably caught in the middle between Matt Canada's way and then being charged as the coach who takes the blame for Pickett's shortcomings/lack of forward development.

Ideally, with the hiring of Smith, I would prefer some new innovations in the passing game and Pickett's development. However, I don't think Sullivan is a bad offensive mind.  I could live with it, though not necessarily be happy about it if that makes sense.

I am kind of torn on my assessment of Pat Meyer. Meyer has been hot and cold in my opinion since being there. The last two years the OL has had slow starts and then came on in the second half of the season. We need a full season and the play-offs of consistently good OL play to win.

He has been better than the previous guy (guy who was the former player), but not anywhere near Munchak. That may not be fair to compare him. I would love bringing Mike Munchak back and that's a no brainer.  However, how this team has done and is doing things as far as coaching, I am not so sure. Some will depend upon how much control Arthur Smith would have over the offensive staff. One side is saying that Munchak is coming with Smith and Jerry Dulac is saying that the Steelers are fine with Meyer and he's staying.

confused-older-man.jpg

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

AR2 says they can add more coaches so we can only hope

That's a huge plus. This was discussed after the Bills loss. I think that they need to add some additional voices and thoughts in the coaching ranks on both sides of the ball. They can use some more quality guys teaching and just breaking down the game.

Leadership is hard to measure, but I think it eliminates a lot of issues.  You need coaches and players who when they talk, others take note.  They have some in Cam and Watt and I  think other young guys like Pickett, Najee, and Muth are trying to step in that role, but health and consistency of performance are keeping them from being the pure alphas in the room.

I would like to see a guy like Munchak develop potential draft picks JPJ or Frazier or even Broderick Jones into that Pouncey type leader on the OL. 

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

AR2 says they can add more coaches so we can only hope

This!  The Steelers need to modernize their coaching. I mean Detroit has 11 coaches on offense and defense. The Steelers have 7 and 6. 
We saw how having an extra lean coaching staff worked for the Patriots. It's time to lean into the modern era.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

last year I gave credit to Meyer, Moore made progress, the unit got better. The problem is, the unit was trash to begin with and would only get better. This year , they regressed for the most part.  I don't know what happened, I expected more from the OL but both Moore and cole really fell off.  Jones was a rookie and seemed better off despite being raw and of course playing out of position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rlon said:

Question to ponder. I don’t have any really concerns about Warren, but is the outside zone blocking scheme really a good fit for Najee? 

No.  Najee is not a one cut runner.  He is a north-south old-tyme power back.  Warren is the one cut back best fit for zone blocking.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jebrick said:

No.  Najee is not a one cut runner.  He is a north-south old-tyme power back.  Warren is the one cut back best fit for zone blocking.

Facts. Well said. Although, I think that they both can be effective. I believe that Artur Smith will tailor some things for Najee's skills and abilities. Both of these guys will be a focus of the run game. With an improved OL, they should be.

8 hours ago, 3rivers said:

last year I gave credit to Meyer, Moore made progress, the unit got better. The problem is, the unit was trash to begin with and would only get better.

Well said. Very good comments that are on point.  I saw a pattern for both years where the OL was slow starting.  It definitely affected the run game, QB play, and overall offensive scheme. I am torn with replacing him regardless of it it is Munchak or not. Certainly if it is Munchak, it's a wrap for me.

This year, they regressed for the most part.  I don't know what happened. I expected more from the OL but both Moore and Cole really fell off. 

These are the problems that I have as well. Moore is a mauler who struggles with protection. He does have the mean streak and temperament to be an OL. Could someone help his technique to improve his play or is he just limited? I saw Munch take a converted WR  and free agent LT to a pro bowl LT who was not elite, but solid.

Jones was a rookie and seemed better off despite being raw and of course playing out of position.

I actually think his playing RT helped him. Many rookie LT's start off at RT. I think it helps having that versatility. Jones will need to improve his strength, pop/quickness, technique, and body position.  Those things will help him better deal with the better Edge guys who typically come from the blindside.

Jerry Dulac is saying that the Steelers are happy with Pat Meyer. I think he will talk with Arthur Smith as will all of the positional coaches. He needs to have some say in who is on his staff. He doesn't have to be replaced, but maybe add another good coach to help develop these guys.🙅‍♂️