Free Agency 2024

2 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Seeing people saying we wouldn’t get a comp pick? Anyone confirm and know why?

from reddit:
"We don't get a comp pick. Texans made adjustments to the original contract and makes it so they aren't eligible for a comp pick... max they would have received would have been a 5th rounder because 2024 is Diggs 10th year in the league"

• Like 2

As I sat down and really thought about it, this means Texans are going all in this year. The 2nd they traded was for next year, 1yr rental on Diggs, and the possibility of more moves whether it be in draft or FAs.

I'll learn to like it. 

• Like 3

If this is the new deal (per Texans Cap), the move created $12M in space for this year.

Meaning the Texans are sitting on about $22M in cap space.

It does indeed look like we are going all in and hunting for dissatisfied vets.

Uhhh.... is Derrick Brown unhappy?  Marshon Lattimore?  could still get the Simmonses (Justin & Isiaih)

3 hours ago, ObotimusPrime said:

I was pretty happy about the trade until we got the details today. Definitely not as excited to trade a future 2nd for a 1 year rental.

Is there any scenario where is extend him at some point during the season? 

Yeah same — I’m still happy, but just between this and the Mixon contract extension, I’m just not sure what the point of either of those things are. I like both trades from a value perspective, but you have leverage with both guys and just gave it up?

If it’s to clear salary cap to make more improvements, I’ll understand it (the Diggs contract update, still won’t get the Mixon extension), but definitely a head scratcher at the moment without additional context. 

1 hour ago, Marco79 said:

Yeah same — I’m still happy, but just between this and the Mixon contract extension, I’m just not sure what the point of either of those things are. I like both trades from a value perspective, but you have leverage with both guys and just gave it up?

If it’s to clear salary cap to make more improvements, I’ll understand it (the Diggs contract update, still won’t get the Mixon extension), but definitely a head scratcher at the moment without additional context. 

Caserio/Ryans will be leveraging Diggs and Nico in FA next yr. The one that gives the Texans the best deal will stay a Texan. They will fill the other WR slot in the 2025 draft or make a trade for another WR next off-season like they did for Diggs this off-season. It's actually a smart way to operate if you're Caserio/Ryans. Diggs probably likes this too and it sets a great precedence for other players in the last yr of their guaranteed money to want to play for the Texans org. Chess> Checkers.

Edited by Kirby Drive
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kirby Drive said:

Caserio/Ryans will be leveraging Diggs and Nico in FA next yr. The one that gives the Texans the best deal will stay a Texan. They will fill the other WR slot in the 2025 draft or make a trade for another WR next off-season like they did for Diggs this off-season. It's actually a smart way to operate if you're Caserio/Ryans. Diggs probably likes this too and it sets a great precedence for other players in the last yr of their guaranteed money to want to play for the Texans org. Chess> Checkers.

I think it comes down to insurance if Nico overprices himself like Greenard did. You'll be able to resign Diggs for a little cheaper given his age.

Nico injuries and 1 year of elite production probably give them some pause to give him elite WR pay just yet. If he takes a reasonable deal, Diggs is gone. If not, Nico is out and Diggs resigns on a 2-3yr deal. Given his reputation, most teams probably won't go past that. I see no scenario where both are back next season. 

I've read this gives them some cap relief this year but I'm no where near smart enough to do the math on that. Also wouldn't surprise me to hear more details come out in a few days from the team side. 

I still find it strange Caserio caved on a 2nd on a possible 1yr rental but whatever. All in

Edited by Blaze
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Kirby Drive said:

Caserio/Ryans will be leveraging Diggs and Nico in FA next yr. The one that gives the Texans the best deal will stay a Texan.

But they could have had both considering the remaining amount on Diggs’ contract is pretty reasonable and the fact there were no guarantees left you could had leverage in renegotiations down the line.

Also, I really don’t buy “this is going to motivate him even more!” — he was going to be motivated regardless because he had no guarantees left! If he came out and had a bad year and was constantly in a bad mood on the sidelines, the Texans would cut him and he’d have a hard time getting a good contract next offseason.

Again, overall, like the trade, love the offseason, just think what they did here was unnecessary at this current moment barring more additions. If they sign Simmons, Diggs, etc with the extra cap space I’ll get it. 

Edited by Marco79
  • Like 2