2024 Season a look ahead to off season moves

Old Guy

18 minutes ago, St Vince said:

White either. Highly doubt they let a guy they drafted 5th overall just walk out the door. Even if they did let him test FA he'll have plenty of suitors besides GB and I'm sure GB wouldn't be his first option. To get White you'll have to probably give up 1st rounder, the kid is only 25.

Agent's Take: 2024 franchise tag projections and 10 potential candidates who could get designated - CBSSports.com

According to his, the projected tag number for White is 23 million. Not sure they tag an ILB for 23 million. I would imagine they work hard on extending him, but slapping a tag on him? Doubtful IMO. 

Sportrac has him getting a 2-year deal worth about 22 million in total. Not saying they are an end all be all, but the tag is double. 

Devin White Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

They have Evans, Winfield Jr. and White who are unrestricted FA. You can't tag them all. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Agent's Take: 2024 franchise tag projections and 10 potential candidates who could get designated - CBSSports.com

According to his, the projected tag number for White is 23 million. Not sure they tag an ILB for 23 million. I would imagine they work hard on extending him, but slapping a tag on him? Doubtful IMO. 

I bet it's extend Baker early, tag Winfield and extend White while Winfield is on the tag. Either way, I'm not counting either of those players as possibilities.

11 hours ago, persiandud said:

he's gonna be paid top of the market and it's rare that GB does that. i wouldn't hold my breath for it

No.  We do it often.  Only we tend, key word, tend, to do for our own guys that we drafted.

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Sportrac has him getting a 2-year deal worth about 22 million in total. Not saying they are an end all be all, but the tag is double. 

Devin White Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

They have Evans, Winfield Jr. and White who are unrestricted FA. You can't tag them all. 

I feel like White lost some snaps this year to KJ Britt, especially towards the end of the year.  I remember a broadcast when the announcers were talking about how good Britt had been playing.

Could be wrong about that, but I don't feel like Tampa will be going out of their way to re-sign White.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like White lost some snaps this year to KJ Britt, especially towards the end of the year.  I remember a broadcast when the announcers were talking about how good Britt had been playing.

Could be wrong about that, but I don't feel like Tampa will be going out of their way to re-sign White.

When it mattered most in the post-season White played 44% of the snaps against the Eagles and against the Lions only 19%. Britt took all of his snaps. Britt still has another year on his rookie deal and the Bucs might think he is a cheaper and just as effective long-term solution.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

When it mattered most in the post-season White played 44% of the snaps against the Eagles and against the Lions only 19%. Britt took all of his snaps. Britt still has another year on his rookie deal and the Bucs might think he is a cheaper and just as effective long-term solution.

Thank you for expanding on the White/Buccs thought....

Now....if I recall correctly, I feel like White was benched because he free lanced too much and was not assignment sure.

Britt was and the extra bonus with him was a hard, sure tackle.

I'm not opposed to looking at White in free agency.  I just don't feel like anyone is going to break the bank for him.  But, he should get a nice deal, maybe comparable to what Campbell had.  And I'm not opposed to that.

Also?  I'd rather take Cooper, Wilson or Trotter in the draft.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 7:12 AM, vegas492 said:

No.  We do it often.  Only we tend, key word, tend, to do for our own guys that we drafted.

yes, very true. we only pay up for players on the roster. jordan love about to be paid a ton of money.

my point is we rarely do that for outside free agents 

6 hours ago, persiandud said:

yes, very true. we only pay up for players on the roster. jordan love about to be paid a ton of money.

I'd argue that we have brought in free agents whenever possible.

Most teams happen to be worse at drafting than we are, so they have more open cap available on an annual basis to give to outside free agents, but when we could we brought in Woodson, the Smiths, Peppers, Amos and others. Woodson was a massive contract for the time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, persiandud said:

I think Gute is not pure TT. Gute will prioritise the draft and re-signing his own but when there is money to spend he'll go out and get players, he is not as conservative as Ted was. If covid hadn't hit we were so well set to be ultra-competitive without making sacrifices.  We are getting back there now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I think Gute is not pure TT. Gute will prioritise the draft and re-signing his own but when there is money to spend he'll go out and get players, he is not as conservative as Ted was. If covid hadn't hit we were so well set to be ultra-competitive without making sacrifices.  We are getting back there now.

I agree with this, though I think the Packers are still in enough of a hole that there will only be lower tier fill-ins in 2024. No Woodson's, Smith's, Reggie's or Peppers this year, But, if they can get enough dead money off the books, then 2025 seems a possible year for a higher tier vet. They can get a top guy this year, but only by pushing more money into next year and being in the same position, or even worse than they are now.

GB never have all that much cap space, but that is absolutely fine, as long as they don't have a ton of debt piling up to ruin the future - most teams with a top QB have to be careful or pay the price down the road. How Love's new contract is structured will be one indicator of how willing Green Bay are to bite the bullet this year to pay for past cap foolishness, and get back to fiscal prudence. Large future debt is so limiting to the options you have right now.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

I’ve been seeing Budda Baker’s name pop up in trade talks for us. While the idea of Budda in this new-look press coverage D is enticing and fills a big need, I don’t know if I love giving up a 1st and whatever else for him, especially with his $19 mil cap hit. We’re already pretty broke as it is while playing with house money and Jordan Love is due for a hefty extension next year after picking up his 5th year option, which he’s more than earned.

We could also go for somebody like Kamren Curl in free agency if we wanted to look outside the draft for a Safety.

14 hours ago, persiandud said:

Rarely.  Yes.  And when we do, we tend to get a good return.  P, Z, Amos.  Lesser extent, Turner.  Last time we had money, we spent it well.

On 2/9/2024 at 9:56 AM, KManX89 said:

I’ve been seeing Budda Baker’s name pop up in trade talks for us. While the idea of Budda in this new-look press coverage D is enticing and fills a big need, I don’t know if I love giving up a 1st and whatever else for him, especially with his $19 mil cap hit. We’re already pretty broke as it is while playing with house money and Jordan Love is due for a hefty extension next year after picking up his 5th year option, which he’s more than earned.

We could also go for somebody like Kamren Curl in free agency if we wanted to look outside the draft for a Safety.

I'd be shocked if we offered more than a 3rd for Baker, maybe our second SRP. You are going to immediately need to give him a new deal, probably at the top of the safety position. 

Get somebody in free agency and keep the premium pick. 

The advantage to building through the draft is that you get players at low salaries for 4-5 years. The advantage to signing free agents is that you can get good players without sacrificing draft picks. Trading away draft picks for guys you will have to pay a lot of money to has neither of those advantages. 

• Like 4