2024 Season a look ahead to off season moves

Old Guy

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Oh yee of little faith .. where there's a will, there's a way.  Faith in Gutie he will find extra dollars in the offseason to sign at least 1-2 very important free agents to combine with all those draft picks.  This team has a 2-3 year window ..  GET ER DONE.

I think your faith in Gutie should be tempered a bit. IMO this team wants to be unwound of all the cap gymnastics from the end-of-Rodgers run, and back to a flat cap situation.  By my accounting, we are $30m over the cap for next year, without any spending on free agents, and without spending money on Love's contract. By my quick math, we could clear a max of $50-55m in cap space if we restructure everyone with void years and whatnot. But that would require restructuring guys like Preston/Campbell/Bakh/Jones into void year deals, but IMO those guys need replaced, not extended.

What makes you think this team only has a 2-3 year window? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OzPackfan said:
  • Newman and Campbell are cut

I realize there are a lot of people here that have had their feelings hurt by Newman, but there is zero reason to cut him in the off season. He is still on his rookie contract and barring a trade or injury will be in TC competing for a job on the 53.  

7 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I think your faith in Gutie should be tempered a bit. IMO this team wants to be unwound of all the cap gymnastics from the end-of-Rodgers run, and back to a flat cap situation.  By my accounting, we are $30m over the cap for next year, without any spending on free agents, and without spending money on Love's contract. By my quick math, we could clear a max of $50-55m in cap space if we restructure everyone with void years and whatnot. But that would require restructuring guys like Preston/Campbell/Bakh/Jones into void year deals, but IMO those guys need replaced, not extended.

What makes you think this team only has a 2-3 year window? 

Where is your accounting getting 30 over from ? First I've ever seen this. That must be prior to the cap raise that happens every year.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Where is your accounting getting 30 over from ? First I've ever seen this. That must be prior to the cap raise that happens every year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/green-bay-packers/2024/

So the current 2024 cap is $8m, which should include the 2023 rollover, with 43 players signed, but 3 of those are void year deals. Assuming Nijman leaves, his dead cap goes up another $2m. So now you're at $6m cap space, 40 players on the roster.

The draft class will cost $14m, per over the cap. https://overthecap.com/draft. This adds 11 players to the roster, so you're at -$8m, with 51 players. Add in the last two players for a million a piece, you're at -$10m with a full roster. I know you have contract offsets and things like that, but this way is close enough for mock offseasons.

After that, you need $7m for the in season piggy bank, and another $5m for the practice squad. So now -$22m.

Then lastly you have your contract escalators. Love earned $4.5m from incentives achieved this year. Myers ($1.5m), Newman ($2m) and Slaton ($2m) all earned Proven Performance Escalators (https://overthecap.com/proven-performance-escalator )based on their snap counts over the last 3 years.  So now I'm at -$32m, and we've haven't even touched Love's contract, which is obviously going up.

32 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/green-bay-packers/2024/

So the current 2024 cap is $8m, which should include the 2023 rollover, with 43 players signed, but 3 of those are void year deals. Assuming Nijman leaves, his dead cap goes up another $2m. So now you're at $6m cap space, 40 players on the roster.

The draft class will cost $14m, per over the cap. https://overthecap.com/draft. This adds 11 players to the roster, so you're at -$8m, with 51 players. Add in the last two players for a million a piece, you're at -$10m with a full roster. I know you have contract offsets and things like that, but this way is close enough for mock offseasons.

After that, you need $7m for the in season piggy bank, and another $5m for the practice squad. So now -$22m.

Then lastly you have your contract escalators. Love earned $4.5m from incentives achieved this year. Myers ($1.5m), Newman ($2m) and Slaton ($2m) all earned Proven Performance Escalators (https://overthecap.com/proven-performance-escalator )based on their snap counts over the last 3 years.  So now I'm at -$32m, and we've haven't even touched Love's contract, which is obviously going up.

Oh it's the Ken Ingalls cap, yeah I don't make my March budget based on September's needs. 

15 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

-Sign Derrick Henry or Barkley in FA. Our offense is night and day when the run game gets going. I'm usually against investing big money into the RB room but with all our WRs and TEs on rookie deals, now's the time. Either of them make us super bowl favorites next year

If you are going to spend money at the RB position, I'd go Barkley or Jacobs over Henry. Henry is 30 years old and has 700 more carries than either of them.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Oh it's the Ken Ingalls cap, yeah I don't make my March budget based on September's needs. 

Yeah I'm aware cap rules are different in March, but which of these projections change before September?

We'll still need to have a 53 man roster. The rookie pool will still cost about $13m. We'll still need a practice squad, we'll still need an emergency fund going into the season. Love's going to get extended, it's just a matter of how much of that shows up on the 2024 cap.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What does that mean to those of us who are not cap experts? Is the OTC number close to correct?

27 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Mark Murphy is set to retire on July 13, 2025. I think he pushes Gute to go all in for a Super Bowl this offseason in his last year here.

If he were to do that in your context he wouldn't be doing his job, and neither would Gute if he didn't push back.

Winning for now is always important but making smart moves for the future is the base ingredient for the recipe.  

Edited by 15412
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Mark Murphy is set to retire on July 13, 2025. I think he pushes Gute to go all in for a Super Bowl this offseason in his last year here.

That doesn't really make any sense from what we've seen of Murphy. The team has already been quite successful under him and the business side of things is in a great spot. Titletown District, the stadium renovations, bringing the draft to Green Bay.

Edited by Striker
  • Like 1

Needs:

Guard, Backup tackle, Safety or two, ILB, Long snapper, Kicker competition.   From there it is depth to keep things going.

Biggest unmentioned need is a long snapper.  Our guy was flat out terrible.  Worst long snapper I have seen in the NFL.   Ball placement all over the place.  Can't believe we couldn't find better at the local grocery store bagger personnel.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pgwingman said:

My only issue here is extending Jones until he's 33. I do get what you mean, his cap hit could be lowered, but man I just really don't like giving more money out to aging RBs. Given his heavy usage and injury history, I'd rather keep him around a year at a time.

I agree about Savage. He seems like the kind of player who could be great if a DC could find the right fit for him.

I'm curious what you think Whitehead will sign for? I can't foresee us having the cap space to make a big signing.

Aaron Jones just turned 29. I read the original statement as extend him to pay him a reasonable deal to keep him on the team the next two years--not four years.

5 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

Aaron Jones just turned 29. I read the original statement as extend him to pay him a reasonable deal to keep him on the team the next two years--not four years.

I guess I read it as a two year extension onto his current deal with a year left, so three more years. Which would be the season he turns 32, my bad.

I doubt the Packers spend money on RB, especially when they bring Jones back.  Wilson has potential, and so will whoever they select in the draft this year.

A safety acquisition seems likely though.  That’s where they need to spend the money.  There are some veteran LBs available, but I would take a couple in the draft and resign McDuffie.  

• Like 1