2023 NFC Championship: 3) Detroit Lions @ 1) San Francisco 49ers

notthatbluestuff

Who wins the NFC?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC?

• Detroit Lions
    • San Francisco 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2024 at 11:40 PM

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Just to be clear? The Math supposedly suggested let's take the 3pts before 1/2 on (4th and goal from inside the 5) to go up 24-7, not Campbell using actual common sense? 👌

However that same math suggested we should Go for it on 4th down instead of possibly going up 27-10 with a 40 yd FG? 

Even if Badgely missed the FG, that would not of been the same momentum change, as a 4th down stop! Take the points.

This is something that is lost in a lot of people.  There is no justification for saying hey we're going to take the 3 from the 2 1/2 yard line at the end of the half and then saying hey let's go for it instead of taking a 42 yd FG.  There is actually plenty of justification in the 1st half to be aggressive knowing SF is getting an extra possession in the 2nd half and only needing 2-3 yards.  Even if the Lions converted on 4th in the 3rd Qtr what's the most likely scenario? They probably still stall and kick a FG.  Then to double down on that decision down 3 with a chance to tie knowing you likely get at least 1 more possession even if SF goes down and scores...is just mind blowing.  You can't justify kicking at the end of the half and then justify going for it in both those situations.  It's very clear Campbell doesn't know what he's doing and is just a gambler with no rhyme or reason to his decision making.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

This is something that is lost in a lot of people.  There is no justification for saying hey we're going to take the 3 from the 2 1/2 yard line at the end of the half and then saying hey let's go for it instead of taking a 42 yd FG.  There is actually plenty of justification in the 1st half to be aggressive knowing SF is getting an extra possession in the 2nd half and only needing 2-3 yards.  Even if the Lions converted on 4th in the 3rd Qtr what's the most likely scenario? They probably still stall and kick a FG.  Then to double down on that decision down 3 with a chance to tie knowing you likely get at least 1 more possession even if SF goes down and scores...is just mind blowing.  You can't justify kicking at the end of the half and then justify going for it in both those situations.  It's very clear Campbell doesn't know what he's doing and is just a gambler with no rhyme or reason to his decision making.

49ers were pretty much scoring a FG or TD on every single possession in the second half. You go up 17 and halftime, and then try to score TDs in the second half while working the clock. What is lost is people don't understand the value in extending drives. Up 2 TD, but you convert that at 24-10, you go up at least 27-10 and take off another 1-2 minutes or longer if you get the TD to go 31-10. You have to work the clock and extend drives. That was the mentality. The 24-27, again, don't have a problem with it. You need to get up four and force them to get a TD. Then an ensuing FG gets the game to OT at 34-34.

There is no advantage to going for it at the end of the half with 10 seconds left. If it was 45-1 min left and SF had timeouts, you may go for a TD there, knowing SF has two possessions back to back in the latter case. In the real case, the clock had already been worked to effectively end the half with a FG.

There is just too much of an advantage at 31-10 and running additional time off the clock, than 27-10 midway through the third. Not going for the tie at 27-27 is a bit more questionable, but if you are likely going to be down 7 anyhow on the ensuing, might as well go for the lead.

Cambell played it correctly; the players could not execute. That's not even mentioning the fluke catch and TO that basically erased the cushion and had nothing to do with coaching.

Edited by WheatieMan
  • Like 1

I had to step away last night because I couldn’t stand reading peoples opinions about the game. 

The game: 

First half was incredible. Everything you want and more. We rushed for over 160+ yds, had over 300 yds of offense, Jamo had multiple big plays in the most important game of the season, shut down CMC and had total control of the game. People at work were saying to me “I can’t believe what I’m seeing”. The moment was not too big for our guys and they came ready & prepared. That’s why it’s hard for me to blame the coaching staff. They had a game plan and it was a winning one.

Second half, 49ers adjusted and everything seemed to bounce their way. INT fell out of our guys hands and into theirs. Gibbs fumble in plus territory. One handed catch for first down by I think Aiyuk? Reynolds and ARSB with dropped passes after being sure handed all postseason. The only thing that did work in the second half was Goff. He was effective in getting the ball in the receivers hands, they just couldn’t catch. Highly disappointing all around. 

Detroit was literally minutes away from a Super Bowl. That is what stings for me the most. They looked like they belonged but came up short. Sweet and sour at the same time. 

The season: 

Absolutely incredible. All of my dreams were surpassed. If you told me before the season that the Lions would win 14 games this year, win the division for the first time in 30 years, win multiple playoff games for the first time since 1957, go toe to toe with the 49ers in the NFCCG and dominate them for one half and I would be disappointed, I would have asked for some of what you were drinking. 

Despite naysayers, DC is the right man for the job. Jared Goff is the right man for the job. We have a young home grown core that is signed through next season and we’ll have added draft picks and top ten capspace to bolster our areas of concerns. It absolutely sucks that we’ll have months of listening to horrible takes by absolutely stupid people, most of whom know very little about the sport, after this loss, but we still have a lot to be proud of and look forward to. 

Kudos ladies and gents to a fantastic season. 🍻

• Like 8

1 minute ago, WheatieMan said:

49ers were pretty much scoring a FG or TD on every single possession in the second half. You go up 17 and halftime, and then try to score TDs in the second half while working the clock. What is lost is people don't understand the value in extending drives. Up 2 TD, but you convert that at 24-10, you go up at least 27-10 and take off another 1-2 minutes or longer if you get the TD to go 31-10. You have to work the clock and extend drives. That was the mentality. The 24-27, again, don't have a problem with it. You need to get up four and force them to get a TD. Then an ensuing FG gets the game to OT at 34-34.

There is no advantage to going for it at the end of the half with 10 seconds left. If it was 45-1 min left and SF had timeouts, you may go for a TD there, knowing SF has two possessions back to back in the latter case.

There is just too much of an advantage at 31-10 and running additional time off the clock, than 27-10 midway through the third. Not going for the tie at 27-27 is a bit more questionable, but if you are likely going to be down 7 anyhow on the ensuing, might as well go for the lead.

Cambell played it correctly; the players could not execute. That's not even mentioning the fluke catch and TO that basically erased the cushion and had nothing to do with coaching.

Yeah, the fumble was the real killer, almost halving their WP. 

Feel bad for Reynolds as he's been a plus player for them on 3rd and 4th down this year. Just bad luck to have an off day in the biggest game of the year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Despite naysayers, DC is the right man for the job. Jared Goff is the right man for the job. We have a young home grown core that is signed through next season and we’ll have added draft picks and top ten capspace to bolster our areas of concerns. It absolutely sucks that we’ll have months of listening to horrible takes by absolutely stupid people, most of whom know very little about the sport, after this loss, but we still have a lot to be proud of and look forward to. 

I know exactly how you feel, but you know how much talent the Lions have, and with some tweaks this offseason theyll be back.

And at least this does help weed out the bad content.. I'm listening to the PFF recap right now and they are very level headed and reasonable, something I'm sure is not happening on ESPN or most of the more mainstream football shows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adamq said:

I know exactly how you feel, but you know how much talent the Lions have, and with some tweaks this offseason theyll be back.

And at least this does help weed out the bad content.. I'm listening to the PFF recap right now and they are very level headed and reasonable, something I'm sure is not happening on ESPN or most of the more mainstream football shows.

Outside of WR Josh Reynolds and LG Jonah Jackson, the entire starting offense for the Lions is signed through 2024. Even if Ben Johnson leaves, that continuity bodes well. 

Defensively, we need a rusher opposite Hutch and some damn outside CBs. It’s been my complaint all season long and it’s true now as well. I expect one or two significant free agent signings and for Brad Holmes to do his draft magic. 

I haven’t even turned on the tv to see the medias opinion of the game is, was just reading online from fans and the hot takes were even worse than some of the takes in this thread. Going to be a long offseason. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, adamq said:

Nice thing for Detroit is they're in a better cap situation right now than a lot of the other just fell short teams. They have some money they've pushed out, but nothing to the level of like Philly. Much cap healthier than Buffalo or Dallas. Nowhere near as many free agents as Baltimore. If they want to, they can bring back basically everybody next year, still have money to add new pieces, and try to run it back.

Once it hits 2025 is when it starts getting a little more difficult. Success is expensive, and that's when the big pieces start needing new deals. So next year will be big for them IMO.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

That is my take away. I won't go as far as saying Campbell doesn't know what he is doing but I just don't get the "feel good" justification coming from alot of people in the media, etc. Greg Olsen was going on and on agreeing with Campbell's decision while also saying things like (paraphrasing from memory), the decision can be right irregardless of whether it worked or not. That makes no sense whatsoever. Another one is "Well, that's what got them here....if Campbell hadn't made those decisions they wouldn't have won so many games and been in a position to get to the SB....but it was largely those decisions that failed the team in this situation.

1 minute ago, nicfre2011 said:

That is my take away. I won't go as far as saying Campbell doesn't know what he is doing but I just don't get the "feel good" justification coming from alot of people in the media, etc. Greg Olsen was going on and on agreeing with Campbell's decision while also saying things like (paraphrasing from memory), the decision can be right irregardless of whether it worked or not. That makes no sense whatsoever. Another one is "Well, that's what got them here....if Campbell hadn't made those decisions they wouldn't have won so many games and been in a position to get to the SB....but it was largely those decisions that failed the team in this situation.

The decision didn’t fail, Josh Reynolds hands failed. The decision was the right one, his player dropped the ball that hit him in the hands. The decision was right irregardless that it failed. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Nice thing for Detroit is they're in a better cap situation right now than a lot of the other just fell short teams. They have some money they've pushed out, but nothing to the level of like Philly. Much cap healthier than Buffalo or Dallas. Nowhere near as many free agents as Baltimore. If they want to, they can bring back basically everybody next year, still have money to add new pieces, and try to run it back.

Once it hits 2025 is when it starts getting a little more difficult. Success is expensive, and that's when the big pieces start needing new deals. So next year will be big for them IMO.

Alot of people need to be paid after next year. Amon-Ra, Goff and Taylor Decker need to be paid then Sewell i think needs to be paid the following year. And i didnt even check Ragnow or Glasgows contract either.

Itll be an interesting couple of years for Detroit.

2 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Alot of people need to be paid after next year. Amon-Ra, Goff and Taylor Decker need to be paid then Sewell i think needs to be paid the following year. And i didnt even check Ragnow or Glasgows contract either.

Itll be an interesting couple of years for Detroit.

They are in great shape cap wise. 

28 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

They are in great shape cap wise. 

Yall might be able to pay Goff, ARSB and Sewell and you should but its the after is when it gets interesting. Before you know it youre the team like Dallas, Philly, Buffalo in cap hell because of the success.

Edited by Sad People

It's going to be interesting with Goff getting paid and Johnson moving on.  The Lions have arguably the best offensive line in the NFL, so they will definitely be good.  Offense will likely regress, but there is a lot of room for improvement on defense.  They will be in the mix again if the defense improves regardless of DC's in game management.

Edited by CasperX22