Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

Played Magic Maze at a board game night I host on Saturday. It's a fun game, a little bit tricky, but good. You play heroes from a fantasy type setting who are in a mall trying to steal the weapons/potions that you need. Each player has a single action that you can take, such as only one person can explore or one person can take the use escalator option or even more basic such as move north/south/east/west all at the same time all while being timed and without speaking. Definitely tricky and we just played the first level and it gets harder each time you play.

23 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Starting Risk Legacy tonight. It should be fun, we have a fun group of guys playing it.

Was a lot of fun played two games, which if you know Risk that's insane for a night. However Risk Legacy isn't about taking over the world, it's about taking over your enemies bases and gaining victory points. I won the first game and had a big target on my back the second game. It helped the first game that I was able to solidify my area and let other people attack each other early, then I was able to sweep in and take bases on team three. Next game I was definitely getting smashed in because I had some advantages from winning.

One interesting thing that I saw in that game is that while you have five factions which all have special abilities, you don't end up playing the same ones from game to game. So it isn't like you build up a story with them. I don't mind that at all, but compared to a game like Seafall, that's different. But Pandemic Legacy has the same thing where you don't have the play the same characters. In here, you're almost guaranteed of getting different races each time.

Played a couple games over the weekend.

First was Colt Express. The setup for the game seems a bit too much and maybe unnecessary but it looks nice I guess. A simple board would have made play easier. I like the game play of playing all your cards and trying to remember what the other players are doing and the order it'll happen, then in the end 'resolving' it all to tell the story of the turn. It's was a pretty simple game to pick up. 

Also played Captain Sonar. We played two games of this. It's like a team game of battleship and you get to move your ship throughout the game. Each player on the teams have assigned roles. I really enjoyed the where you're responsible for tracking the enemy. You used laminated sheets with dry erase markers, and divider boards to play the game. We played two games of it, once with the turn by turn variant and once in real time. I think a medium between the two would be ideal. Something like turn by turn but a strict 30 seconds to take the turn or something. 

Also played Betrayal at Baulders Gate. I like the D&D theme but not a fan of the Betrayal games. There's a lot of vagueness in the rules, maybe intentionally? I never feel like the group is able to collect enough/avoid having bad things happening to them before the betrayal occurs to have a chance to survive it.

10 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Also played Betrayal at Baulders Gate. I like the D&D theme but not a fan of the Betrayal games. There's a lot of vagueness in the rules, maybe intentionally? I never feel like the group is able to collect enough/avoid having bad things happening to them before the betrayal occurs to have a chance to survive it.

I feel that Baldur's Gate is more balanced, but the rules at times are intentionally vague (or you need to all know the base rules really well) because the haunts are supposed to feel different. I've played Baldur's Gate twice and the betrayer has one once and lost once. And there are 20% of the haunts that don't have a betrayer for Baldur's Gate.

10 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Also played Captain Sonar

Ton of fun. I really like that one. I liked it much better free for all as compared to turn by turn. I think that people often rush through free for all and it makes it way harder, but I slow play it so I get stuff up and running as the captain and then when we know it's a flurry of activity.

I haven't played Colt Express before, but wasn't a game that really intrigued me that much.

58 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Ton of fun. I really like that one. I liked it much better free for all as compared to turn by turn. I think that people often rush through free for all and it makes it way harder, but I slow play it so I get stuff up and running as the captain and then when we know it's a flurry of activity.

I really liked the repairs for surfacing in the real time/free for all version of the game but playing it felt really awkward. The radio operator seemed like the most interesting role to me, I played it and engineer, felt they were each challenging in their own way though. Would be really interesting as a digital/PC game imo.

Used to play a lot of MTG and Colt Express being all about the stack made it really cool to me. Curious if you could combine that mechanic with the drafting in Seven Wonders to make a game. Not creative enough for that though. 

I punched out 18 sheets of cardboard for Gloomhaven. There are so many small pieces, now I need to figure out how to store them. That'll be a fun time. I thought about Broken Token or some other insert like that, but they aren't cheap enough, though, as long as this game will go on, it might be worth it.

7 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Any of you guys use the custom wooden inserts for board games? I've not gone down that rabbit hole but have a friend that has the custom ones for every board game he owns.

Are you talking about an organizer that goes inside the box for all the pieces?

On 1/18/2018 at 11:50 AM, The Gnat said:

I punched out 18 sheets of cardboard for Gloomhaven. There are so many small pieces, now I need to figure out how to store them. That'll be a fun time. I thought about Broken Token or some other insert like that, but they aren't cheap enough, though, as long as this game will go on, it might be worth it.

And as much as you paid for the game in the first place...

On 1/20/2018 at 6:52 AM, theJ said:

And as much as you paid for the game in the first place...

Indeed. I was shared a link by a friend on twitter where the person had used envelopes to sort everything, so I'm going that route as well. cheaper than a custom insert, but better than just tossing everything into the box.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:07 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Any of you guys use the custom wooden inserts for board games? I've not gone down that rabbit hole but have a friend that has the custom ones for every board game he owns.

That's what I was thinking for Gloomhaven, but I tend to use either the craft containers for stuff like jewelry making or cross stitch and go with that, though I might do a foam insert for Imperial Assault, now that I've decided not to do so for Gloomhaven.