Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

On 23/09/2019 at 7:31 AM, The Gnat said:

Trick them into strategy. There are some games, King of Tokyo or Dice Throne that have a bit of strategy, but they feel very similar to something like Yahtzee. Plus, both of them look cool in the table, and while Dice Throne might be a bit too much of a step up, King of Tokyo is very simple and is a great family game, and I don't think Dice Throne is much heavier.

Or start with games that feel more familiar like Five Crowns/Qwirkle that are extremely simple in how they play, but are actually teaching you strategy.

Basically, find the games that you can say: "This is like XXXX" that they already play.

EDITED: And now that I'm think about it, definitely get Just One. That game has a Scattergories/Apples to Apples feel to it and you can introduce a cooperative game. That's always a good way to get people hooked, if they are up for working together, you can lead into more complex games slowly based off of the fact that you are working together and they don't need to remember everything for themselves.

Unless you happen to know of a game that's like LIFE...but less mindless, i think it's just going to be hard to "sneak" strategy in there.  At least...any more than Ticket to Ride.  Which is fine.  Just...kinda whatever.

On 01/10/2019 at 7:36 AM, The Gnat said:

It's nothing like Outburst in my opinion. It's a single guess for Just One, and it's really about the back and forth and the mind game of people trying not to put down the same one word clue for the guesser. I wouldn't call it a word game either, but if your sister considers Scattergories to be a word game, then it's probable that she'd consider this a word game as well. Scattergories is really the game that it is closest to.

Absolutely, she'd consider Scattergories a "word game" and a "strategic game" and likely throw a mild tantrum twice over basically.  Don't see any chance of getting through any of the three games without a rage quit tbh.  Though i can say, i actually enjoy Scattergories, and might enjoy Outburst if it's similar...it just ventures too far into "trivia land" for half my family.  Very confined box i'm painted into.

I think the only reason Apples works is because it's not really about words or even strategy, so much as it can turn into a game of absurd non sequitur playing.  There's no losing or "wrong answers".

The game keeps up a good tempo too, which is important.  She'll play games like Dutch Blitz...which is basically rapid fire free for all Rummy with an Uno deck, and i'll play along.  But i don't really enjoy games on that end of the spectrum.  I tend to tune out and half *** because grabbing cards and playing them isn't compelling to me.  Frantic pace games aren't interesting to me.

Pretty much headed for another holiday season of non-strategy, non-word, non-trivia games.  But that's fine.  I'll have festive consumables.  Just kinda the way it goes when you have a family who get along well, but are completely different.  And you have a sister who is prone to just quitting and storming off if she doesn't like something.  When she happens to be the favorite child, and probably rightly so because she's probably a way better person who is better at so many things.  Just not...strategy, or word, or trivia games.  Or patience.

I'm half tempted to try Scattergories...and see if it explodes.  But i just can't see it working beyond about three rounds.  Between the right/wrong nature of it, the trivia element, and the word game element.  My mom and i would probably pull ahead so far in 3 rounds that my dad and sister would stage a Thanksgiving Coup.  Despite the other two holding more prestigious degrees where they probably should win or something.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm half tempted to try Scattergories...and see if it explodes.  But i just can't see it working beyond about three rounds.  Between the right/wrong nature of it, the trivia element, and the word game element.  My mom and i would probably pull ahead so far in 3 rounds that my dad and sister would stage a Thanksgiving Coup.  Despite the other two holding more prestigious degrees where they probably should win or something.

That's the thing with Scattergories, I don't think I've ever played a game of more than three rounds. And with Just One, it's only 13 rounds at most, and I think that you could play it for less than that if you want. Neither of those games are much like triva, but it seems like your sister basically doesn't want to try anything new, so the answer for what new games might work would be none. I know of smart people who don't like a lot of games and only like games that are 100% chance, because they think of themselves as smart and if they don't get it immediately they feel dumb.

On 08/10/2019 at 8:20 AM, The Gnat said:

That's the thing with Scattergories, I don't think I've ever played a game of more than three rounds. And with Just One, it's only 13 rounds at most, and I think that you could play it for less than that if you want. Neither of those games are much like triva, but it seems like your sister basically doesn't want to try anything new, so the answer for what new games might work would be none. I know of smart people who don't like a lot of games and only like games that are 100% chance, because they think of themselves as smart and if they don't get it immediately they feel dumb.

Yeah...i think that's the case maybe.

Edited by Tugboat

Streamed some more board game stuff last night. It wasn't a game play, but I unboxed a copy of Zombicide Green Horde that I won from a local game store for their 1 year anniversary. Tonight I think I'm going to head to Twitch and stream the kickstarters that I have saved. It's kind of fun to talk about those games and what I might back. I'm excited as Village Attacks is getting a second kickstarter today and I think I'll be backing that one, since I have a scenario pack for it from GenCon.

I'm doing my top 100 board games on Nerdologists.com, I have 100-91 up, but for the fast version:

91 - Shadowrun: Crossfire

92 - Charterstone

93 - Dragonfire

94 - The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

95 - Telestrations

96 - Qwirkle

97  - Takenoko

98 - Marrying Mr. Darcy

99 - Skull

100 - Lazer Ryderz

Next 10 are up:

90: Carcassonne
89: Dead of Winter: The Long Night
88: Splendor
87: Stuffed Fables
86: Legends of Andor
85: Lord of the Rings
84: Pandemic Legacy: Season 2
83: Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
82: Arkham Horror
81: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Put up my next 10 in my top 100:

80. 7 Wonders
79. Risk Legacy
78. Dice Throne Season Two Cursed Pirate vs Artificer
77. Mysterium
76. Gloom
75. Codenames: Pictures
74. Shadows of Brimstone: City of the ANcients
73. Quoridor
72. First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet
71. Near and Far

Plus I played a number of games this weekend:
2 games of Splendor
2 games of Quoridor
1 game of Flapjacks vs Sasquatches
2 games of Deception Murder in Hong Kong
1 game of The Grimm Masquerade

The Grimm Masquerade is a deduction game where everyone takes on the roll of a Grimm fairytale character at a masquerade. You are trying to figure out whom everyone is prior to them getting three of an item that they need. But you can bust them if you give them two of something they don't want or point a figure at them and accuse them. The game is a lot of fun and simple. The artwork is nice on the game as well. Was fun to get th at GenCon buy to the table.

Next 10 games up on Nerdologists.com:

70: Root
69: Scattergories
68: Wits & Wagers
67: Dice Throne Season Two Vampire Lord v Seraph
66: Gravewell: Escape from the 9th Dimension
65: Small World Underground
64: Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City
63: Illimat
62: Parade
61: Tsuro

Next ten are up, and that'll be the end of the bottom 50:

60: Magic: The Gathering
59: Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle
58: Captain Sonar
57: Roll Player
56: Galaxy Trucker
55: Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
54: Cat Cafe
53: Dice Forge
52: Cry Havoc
51: Ice Cool 2

You'll have to wait and see, and I have more description on Nerdologists.com for what each game is like. I have my next 10 up there now.

40: Choose  Your Own Adventure: House of Danger
39: Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale
38: Ticket to Ride
37: King of Tokyo
36: Onirim
35: Betrayal at Baldur's Gate
34: Zona: The Secret of Chernobyl
33: Century: Golem Edition
32: The Lost Expedition
31: Sushi Go Party!