Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

After playing a couple vanilla rounds (one of which we won on literally the last action of the last turn) we finally played the first month of Pandemic Legacy.  We won the first month pretty easily but it was a ton of fun with the added legacy cards and then the upgrades after the game.  Any other games you'd recommend like this for two people?

4 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

After playing a couple vanilla rounds (one of which we won on literally the last action of the last turn) we finally played the first month of Pandemic Legacy.  We won the first month pretty easily but it was a ton of fun with the added legacy cards and then the upgrades after the game.  Any other games you'd recommend like this for two people?

Legacy style game or something with more of a story drive to it?

Legacy is pretty hit or miss. I'd recommend Charterstone as a pretty pretty looking and simple legacy style work placement game. The story isn't as great, but it's a  fun worker placement game, something I don't love.

Clank! Acquisitions Inc. is a legacy game that just is just coming out right now but people are really liking. It is a deck builder and like Charterstone, which I didn't mention, you can play it after your done with it, which you can't with Pandemic Legacy

Season 2 of Pandemic Legacy is also an easy option.

More story driven, Mansions of Madness is great, if you want more of a horror theme. It's less horror and more Lovecraftian, so insanity than gore and jump scare sort of thing. There's a bunch going on in it, but Fantasy Flight does a good job of getting you up and running quickly. And there is an app component, so it's keeping track of the story aspect for you and timing of everything.

Dead Men Tell No Tales is a cooperative game that has a bit of a Pandemic feel to it as you're trying to get treasures off a ship that is on fire and has a skeleton crew that is messing with you, and ghosts you have to fight. Very similar feel to Pandemic though, so if you want something a bit different , this won't be it.

Near and Far is a fun one as well, was fun to play, a good story in it, and an interesting storybook type of map that allows you to jump into a story and build up a team. A good combination of story and mechanics. The artwork is really nice as well. 

• Like 1

For those running D&D, I picked up the Eberron source book yesterday. From what I've read thus far, it's really good. And if you can get the FLGS (friendly local game store) alt art for the book, I'd highly recommend it. the normal cover is pretty bleh, but the alt art one is amazing. I also picked up Arboretum at the same time, which is a little thinky card game about putting trees in the right order.

And we played three scenarios of Gloomhaven, though, technically one of them was twice, and we lost twice in that one. Just a little bit of bad luck for it. The app for Gloomhaven, though, is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Who is ready for a full Gloomhaven sequel?

FROSTHAVEN (to be confirmed it's called that on Saturday)

Or it'll be confirmed before that, because there is a big banner announcing it at PaxU, it'll just be talked about in more detail on Saturday. It's hitting kickstarter in March of 2020.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

Will this one be more or less than $200?

I'm mean, last one was $100 on kickstarter, so I'm thinking similar price point with then $20 shipping or so. I'm guessing it'll be similar price range to that. I appreciate that they don't try and make it all minis, keeps the cost down and board would be so busy if there were minis.

• Like 1

Just now, The Gnat said:

I'm mean, last one was $100 on kickstarter, so I'm thinking similar price point with then $20 shipping or so. I'm guessing it'll be similar price range to that. I appreciate that they don't try and make it all minis, keeps the cost down and board would be so busy if there were minis.

Ah i thought the original started at $200.  Thanks for the correction.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/295770/frosthaven

"In addition to having the well-known combat mechanisms of Gloomhaven, Frosthaven will feature much more to do outside of combat, such as numerous mysteries to solve, a seasonal event system to live through, and player control over how this ramshackle village expands, with each new building offering new ways to progress."

That part seems really really cool to me. I like the idea of mysteries and seasonal events. I'm less interested in expanding the village, but I wonder if that'll give it more of an RPG feel.

Any suggestions for a strategy game that would accommodate a 6 year old?  Trying to find something else my son will like, but that the adults will like as well.

We already have Splendor (he loves it), and Unearthed (he likes this one too).  

He can read some shorter words, but it's better if there isn't a ton of reading.  Math is fine, but if multiplication or division is required it's probably beyond him at this time.

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

Any suggestions for a strategy game that would accommodate a 6 year old?  Trying to find something else my son will like, but that the adults will like as well.

We already have Splendor (he loves it), and Unearthed (he likes this one too).  

He can read some shorter words, but it's better if there isn't a ton of reading.  Math is fine, but if multiplication or division is required it's probably beyond him at this time.

Mastermind.

It takes a little bit, but they fogure it out quickly