Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

9 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Heard tons of great things about this game. As a Bio teacher, I feel it's probably a game I should own.

Yeah, I don't know that it has anything to do about bio really, but it is a good game. If you like kind of mean games but beautiful looking games, Photosynthesis is great.

And the top 10 are out on Nerdologsists.com:

10: Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
9: Clank! In! Space!
8: Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
7: Xenoshyft: Onslaught
6: Arkham Horror: The Card Game
5: T.I.M.E. Stories
4: Betrayal at House on the Hill
3: Pandemic Legacy Season 1
2: Blood Rage
1: Gloomhaven

4 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

I want to start playing board games more and was looking into this for something for me and my girlfriend to play.  Would this work with just the two of us?

Absolutely. I have played it with four players, and I've played it by myself with two characters, and it's probably easier at two characters than with four. I think that this is a good option if you want to get into playing more games.

• Like 1

Just now, The Gnat said:

Absolutely. I have played it with four players, and I've played it by myself with two characters, and it's probably easier at two characters than with four. I think that this is a good option if you want to get into playing more games.

That sounds perfect, thank you! 

I had fun reading through your list too and looking games up on BGG.  We just got a cafe close to us that I'm trying to go to more often so I'll definitely use your list as suggestions.  We played Sagrada last time and had a blast.  

• Like 1

I picked up a game over the weekend, Deep Madness from the local board game store, like when I picked up Lords of Hellas used, this one hadn't even been punched, but someone had opened up the box. I'm excited to play it, it reminds me a bit of the 90's horror movie, Sphere, where they find an alien ship at the bottom of the ocean. Deep Madness is a fully cooperative scenario style game where the scenarios can be a campaign style, but don't need to be, as the characters reset at the start of each game. I like the idea of it's horror/survival, and then dice chucking combat.

Technically have beaten Gloomhaven now. Was an interesting final battle, but a blast. We still have the expansion and several side quests left that we can do, which is fun, but I think we'll be wrapping up the expansion probably by the end of the year or early next year.

We decided to keep the group together and try Apocrypha next. An interesting deck building-esque game that the Pathfinder Card Game was built on, even though Apocrypha came out later.

And I started watching Afterschool Dice Club, an anime about board games. And when I say board games, I don't mean the likes of Monopoly and Clue, heck, not even really Catan, at least thus far. I'm impressed by the games, and the story has been fairly standard, but not bad.

On 11/6/2019 at 9:46 AM, The Gnat said:

And I started watching Afterschool Dice Club, an anime about board games. And when I say board games, I don't mean the likes of Monopoly and Clue, heck, not even really Catan, at least thus far. I'm impressed by the games, and the story has been fairly standard, but not bad.

Where is this?

Got a few games played this weekend:

Skulk Hollow: Played this two player asymmetrical game on Sunday. Was the first time playing it for me, and it was good fun, first time for the other player as well, he was interested in it on a game store Discord so we met up at the game store and played it there. The game faces foxes off against a guardian, with the foxes trying to take down the guardian and the guardian having a specific win condition, or kill the foxen king. After one play, I like it well, but we played with the vanilla Guardian and the vanilla King, so I think the game will be interesting to play with other combinations.

Potion Explosion: Played a shortened version of the game, but it was a lot of fun. I like the toy factor to it, pulling out dice, watching more roll down and putting it together to try and get as many as possible to hit against each other matching colors so that you can pull even more dice, and hopefully have that happen again. I think a full game of it would be a lot of fun to play.

Letter Jam: I really enjoy this game, and we did pretty well with it. It's fun to have a cooperative word game, and I like the Hanabi aspect of not being able to see your letter cards. A good and challenging cooperative game too as you try and figure out your letters.

Tokyo Highway: A dexterity game where you are building the highway system of Tokyo, the game is pretty simple, but it looks amazing on the table.

On 11/6/2019 at 10:46 PM, The Gnat said:

Technically have beaten Gloomhaven now. Was an interesting final battle, but a blast. We still have the expansion and several side quests left that we can do, which is fun, but I think we'll be wrapping up the expansion probably by the end of the year or early next year.

We decided to keep the group together and try Apocrypha next. An interesting deck building-esque game that the Pathfinder Card Game was built on, even though Apocrypha came out later.

Did you guys fine the

secret character

? We were getting close but wife and I were moving to China so last day we cheated and used the internet. 

I have T.I.M.E. Stories but we don't have a group to play with. Might just make it a two player campaign with the lady. Is it still as fun with 2 players? 

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Did you guys fine the

Hide contents

secret character

? We were getting close but wife and I were moving to China so last day we cheated and used the internet. 

I have T.I.M.E. Stories but we don't have a group to play with. Might just make it a two player campaign with the lady. Is it still as fun with 2 players? 

No, we didn't, unless I'm forgetting something, we've unlocked all the boxes of stuff.

As for T.I.M.E. Stories, I think two players would be fine. But I like it better with more people. We played the first one with four and then the other two we've played with three. I think that four is better, but three isn't bad, and I think two would be fine. Looking at the BGG stats, people tend to like it best at 4, but 50% say it's fine at 2 players, and 50% of people don't like it at two players.

9 hours ago, The Gnat said:

No, we didn't, unless I'm forgetting something, we've unlocked all the boxes of stuff.

As for T.I.M.E. Stories, I think two players would be fine. But I like it better with more people. We played the first one with four and then the other two we've played with three. I think that four is better, but three isn't bad, and I think two would be fine. Looking at the BGG stats, people tend to like it best at 4, but 50% say it's fine at 2 players, and 50% of people don't like it at two players.

It's hidden in letters you find in the game along with code letters on the box, game cards, character cards, game board, and a couple other places.