Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

So, a fun thing I just found on BGG (board game geek), is that in your stats (under the account), you can find the delta (difference) between your ratings and the average rating. My biggest differences:

1. Concept, which I rated a 1 and the average is 6.7
2. Deception: Undercover Allies, I rated a 10, average is .6.3
3. Codenames, I rated as a 4, average is 7.6
4. Spot It!, I rated as a 3, average is 6.5
5. Cat Cafe, I rated as a 9, average is 5.5 (though I suspect that it will become closer as more ratings happen)

Just now, The Gnat said:

Yup, and that's before shipping too. I think I'll just do the single wave of shipping for Etherfields so that it's at least $15 less than it would be otherwise

Stupid brain and "ooo, that's cool ... and that ... and that ... and that ..."

Just now, Woz said:

Stupid brain and "ooo, that's cool ... and that ... and that ... and that ..."

I keep on thinking, I should maybe do that add on, or that addon looks good, I think the only one I'm debating right now is the metal keys for Etherfields, that seems like the only upgrade that is just too pretty.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I keep on thinking, I should maybe do that add on, or that addon looks good, I think the only one I'm debating right now is the metal keys for Etherfields, that seems like the only upgrade that is just too pretty.

I finally just went the Frye "take my money!" route and tossed them the All-In pledge.

• Like 1

I got a few games to the table last night:

Dice Throne Season 2 - Artificer/Cursed Pirate
I really like this game. The head to head fighting is a ton of fun. Each character feels different, and the game plays fast. The Cursed Pirate was definitely very different to play, and I was able to hold off on flipping to dead pirate side long enough so that I didn't drain my own life.

Hanimakoji
I love this game as a two player puzzle. There is just enough information that you don't know that makes it challenging, and it has an interesting thing there your opponent is selecting cards that you play down from time to time, so you can force them to make your tough decision.

Hats
This game is very interesting and has an interesting mechanic to it, where you have a hand of cards, but you're playing them down onto a track that tells you how colors are going to score at the end, and then taking off the previous card that was there and putting it in front of you for your scoring. It's a simple game, but it adds a nice little twist on a normal card game.

• 2 weeks later...

Played four games over the weekend:

Got Gloomhaven back to the table. I really do love that game, always a ton of fun, and we've gotten our strategy down really well so that we can win most scenarios, but a ton of fun still, and the story is good. Played a scenario that basically says, play it if you dare, seems to have an interesting reward.

Played Hats again, still really digging that game. Played it three player for the first time, previously have only played it with two players. The game was a little different with three and I suspect more different with four. It goes from being a very thinky game to being a bit more random, but you still have power to set-up a play in your hand, you just have to figure it out so that you can help yourself with your last turn of the game.

Also played more Welcome To..., such a good roll and write game. And played Lost Expedition, which is another really fun game that I need to play more often. A coop game without an alpha player problem for part of the game.

We were able to beat Gloomhaven with our friends before leaving Manila. Love that game so much. Hated the final boss battle though. Had to internet for one secret part of the game. Won’t give it away. That was cool. 

I so badly want to buy a 3D printer and make my own 3D layouts of some of these board games. 

• Like 1

So I sold some more magic cards and a few board games to get even more store credit, happened to come in at the same time someone was selling their Lords of Hellas kickstarter. And it wasn't just a Lord of Hellas kickstarter, it had the expansion, and terrain pack, and was sundrop painted, so a light paint coat for shading, I just got the base game and expansion, not the terrain, since that is expensive. So I got the expansion and base game for basically what it would have cost on kickstarter which is a really good deal for me, and maybe slightly cheaper than I would have if I had sundrop painted them as part of the kickstarter. I'm am super stoked for getting to the table, it looks amazing.

And then one of the employees is planning on selling his Blood Rage, so I'm likely going to be getting that and then I'll finally be out of store credit.

Went to a local game store last night as they have started doing learn to play game "x" every Wednesday, yesterday it was Dice Forge. I'd played once before, and it was fun to play a couple of games, even if it was only two player. I can see that as a game that I wouldn't mind getting now, which I wasn't sure of after a single play about a year ago.Some of it is definitely the people in the group I played with are now just generally annoying to me as I've gotten to know them more, and took a very fast game and made it slow down because of their analysis paralysis. 

4 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Went to a local game store last night as they have started doing learn to play game "x" every Wednesday, yesterday it was Dice Forge.

The local Games Workshop did that for awhile ... then stopped.

I became sad panda.