Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

9 hours ago, pwny said:

Gonna ask again, since it's been two years since I last asked.

Favorite two-player games? Would prefer cooperative games, but willing to do some competitive ones.

We've played Arkham Horror LCG and really like it.

Is Pandemic Legacy good as a two-player? Think that might be my next pick up

Pandemic Legacy definitely works 2 players.

Fox in the Forest is a two player trick taking game.
Hanimakoji is a simple, but brain burning 2 player game.
Bloom is a pretty easy push your luck pretty looking flower growing game.

• Like 1

Just over a week until I head out to GenCon. We're driving on Wednesday, and then it starts up on Thursday.

Random board game thing, I bought a cheap laminator, because with roll and write games, I have found that the new ones I've gotten, I'm going through paper fast on some of them, in particular Criss Cross, so now I'll be able to create a version of the game that should last a long long time.

Ended up picking up Pandemic. Figured that the replayability of it and ability to scale to 4 player when we have people over made a bit more sense than the (probably better) single campaign of Season 1, seeing as we really don’t have many physical games in our collection. 

Was a good choice. Definitely like the co-op aspect to it, and the variance of characters makes for a very different game every time. Played 5 games so far, and won 2. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 11:16 PM, pwny said:

Gonna ask again, since it's been two years since I last asked.

Favorite two-player games? Would prefer cooperative games, but willing to do some competitive ones.

We've played Arkham Horror LCG and really like it.

Is Pandemic Legacy good as a two-player? Think that might be my next pick up

https://www.thamesandkosmos.com/index.php/results/?custom_f_50[0]=3539

https://www.asmodee.co.uk/news-item/try-unlock-official-release/
https://www.amazon.com/Unlock-Secret-Adventures-Tombstone-Express/dp/B078T27M4Q/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_21_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=25H0BGR2AA6G9DZRPCEE

These games are like Escape Rooms, I haven't tried the Unlock! ones yet but I've heard good things about them. Because of the nature of Escape Rooms, they're one time plays but they're cheap enough that it's not a big deal. My understanding is that the Unlock games can be reassembled and shared or sold if it's a big problem for you, but the Exit game components are basically destroyed as you play it. 

I've done them in groups of 4 but I think they'd be fun with just two people. 

Edited by skywindO2

21 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

My understanding is that the Unlock games can be reassembled and shared or sold if it's a big problem for you, but the Exit game components are basically destroyed as you play it. 

That is correct. And I would say that 2 would work well, they go up to 6, I think, but I'd say that 2-4 is probably ideal so everyone can see what is going on.

Going through and finding on the Board Game Geek GenCon preview and finding 10 games that I want to see/demo that are there for demo only, plus then 10 games that I want to see and possibly buy, but so far only demos:

1. Floor Plan - Roll and write house building game
2. Iron Forest - A flicking game, uses the board to flick robots around, but you are doing it on two levels
3. Sleeping Gods - A storybook campaign adventure game with amazing artwork
4. Mystery House - The board is the box, that has slots in it that you put cards in, and you can see everything that is going on, don't know for sure how it works, but seems interesting
5. IT: Evil Below - I really like the book, and I'm curious to see if a game can get the same feel at all
6. Nemesis - Think an Aliens board game but without the Aliens IP, it's out and seems cool, but just for demo at GenCon
7. Arkeis - An adventure and exploration game, but I really like the Egyptian theme on it, instead of some sort of generic fantasy or Lovecraftian theme.
8. Deranged - A semi-cooperative game where people can turn into monsters (deranged), but can turn back, seems very interesting.
9. Calico - Cute cats on quilts tile laying puzzle game
10. Zona: The Secret of Chernobyl - Might be based on a video game? But seems like an interesting game with a timer counting down to keep the game moving and put pressure on players to press their luck

I also laminated some roll and write games yesterday so that I can play without running out of paper, it's kind of fun laminating stuff.

On 7/24/2019 at 3:59 PM, skywindO2 said:

https://www.thamesandkosmos.com/index.php/results/?custom_f_50[0]=3539

https://www.asmodee.co.uk/news-item/try-unlock-official-release/
https://www.amazon.com/Unlock-Secret-Adventures-Tombstone-Express/dp/B078T27M4Q/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_21_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=25H0BGR2AA6G9DZRPCEE

These games are like Escape Rooms, I haven't tried the Unlock! ones yet but I've heard good things about them. Because of the nature of Escape Rooms, they're one time plays but they're cheap enough that it's not a big deal. My understanding is that the Unlock games can be reassembled and shared or sold if it's a big problem for you, but the Exit game components are basically destroyed as you play it. 

I've done them in groups of 4 but I think they'd be fun with just two people. 

The ones that you have played, do they elicit the same kind of feeling that an actual escape room does (just tamped down, given the lack of full immersion)? I’ve been meaning to do some escape rooms, but every time we’re in a town that has them, either we’re busy with other stuff or they’re full because we didn’t book ahead of time. 

On 7/22/2019 at 7:45 PM, pwny said:

Ended up picking up Pandemic. Figured that the replayability of it and ability to scale to 4 player when we have people over made a bit more sense than the (probably better) single campaign of Season 1, seeing as we really don’t have many physical games in our collection. 

Was a good choice. Definitely like the co-op aspect to it, and the variance of characters makes for a very different game every time. Played 5 games so far, and won 2. 

Get Legacy, too. It’s a different game. Both seasons are fun and work well with 2 players.

Still stand by Hogwarts Battle. We still play it. The expansion can be rough until you figure it out (and I have setup tips for anyone who wants them).

One Deck Dungeon we also still play some. We just started that expansion.

Harry Potter Perilous Pursuit is fun with two. But it doesn’t have a ton of replayability at this point (hopefully with expansions).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

Get Legacy, too. It’s a different game. Both seasons are fun and work well with 2 players.

I’ve seen several people say Season 1 is the best gaming experience they’ve ever had, so I’m definitely going to get it.

Just figured having a quality replay-able game made a lot of sense, especially for when we have some people over. Having this or something like Ticket to Ride seemed like a great idea.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:53 PM, pwny said:

The ones that you have played, do they elicit the same kind of feeling that an actual escape room does (just tamped down, given the lack of full immersion)? I’ve been meaning to do some escape rooms, but every time we’re in a town that has them, either we’re busy with other stuff or they’re full because we didn’t book ahead of time. 

I think so. There's a strange, satisfying rush from figuring out a puzzle and progressing through the games that I can't get from anywhere else, except for the Nancy Drew video games.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:53 PM, pwny said:

I’ve seen several people say Season 1 is the best gaming experience they’ve ever had, so I’m definitely going to get it.

Just figured having a quality replay-able game made a lot of sense, especially for when we have some people over. Having this or something like Ticket to Ride seemed like a great idea.

Yeah that was a good plan.

Season 1 is definitely up there for both me and my wife. We both already enjoyed Pandemic and this just ramps it up. Season 2 was a really good take on it too. I think how it was done was a clever retooling if what made Season 1 special. The only reasons 1 beats 2 for me is 1 was such a complete novelty and it’s hard to recreate that feeling and 2 felt a little bit rushed towards the end. Felt like they could have spread the last two to three months into four.

Gotta give props to ZMan Games. We purchased Pandemic from Target and it had a missing Epidemic card. Contacted support and they sent one out to us no questions asked. Didn’t need a proof of purchase or anything like that. I know the card probably cost them 1/100th if a cent to make and maybe 50¢ to ship, but still having zero hassle for the process is a good look.

And I'm back from GenCon!

Man, that was so much fun, I'm probably going to have to write several posts on it, but quickly, what I picked up (that I remember)
2 Expansions for Welcome To...
Cat Cafe (Roll and Write)
Detective: City of Angels - Big box Detective game, free for all sort of game where detectives are racing each other to solve the case
Cowboy Bebop Boardgame Boogie - The game looked fun, and I love the IP
Albions Legacy - Free game that came with the one above, but it's a big box game which is interesting
Sagrada Passions -Expansion for Sagrada that looks neat
Loup Garou - Choose your own adventure book, with a character sheet, seems cool, they've made a lot of them, but the person at the counter said that was his favorite
Tokyo Highway/Expansion - Cool looking dexterity game, got it for my wife for anniversary since it's all made out of wood, 5 years gift set
Hats - Thinking card game that kind of changes up how you look at card games, simple, but a good brain burner
The Grimm Masquerade - Looks like a fun social deduction/party game
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong - Game I've wanted for a while, was available from the publisher there.

Also, with one of the games that I played as a ticketed event, got a custom expansion for Village Attacks

And I demoed/play tested a few games:
Deranged - Think Betrayal at House on the Hill light. It doesn't have the story, but the mechanisms are smooth and a lot of fun.
Silver - Good little card game, has a werewolf theme because that's everything the company does, which seems a bit dumb, but overall a fun game
Stuffed Animal Game - Don't remember the name of it, but it's an interesting little game where you are going through different scenarios, it seems, and searching for a boy who has been grabbed by the boogieman, not out yet, but has a lot of potential
Role Player Adventures - So much fun, I would say that this game was mid alpha, but it worked really well and had a nice light role playing feel to it.
Homebrewer - Bummed not to have picked this one up, but should be out soon. The game is slick in that it is a very fast engine builder.
Bottom of the 9th - Cool little two player baseball game
God of War - The scenario we played was a little bit easy, we thought, but the aesthetic looked good and the card play was interesting
Last Hour - Think Arkham Horror, but just at the very end. It's an interesting fast game with a cool mechanic in it, but not sure how well I loved it
Wrestling Game (don't remember the name) - was a fun game to demo, but at the price point, it wasn't worth it
Dream Game (don't remember the name) - Pushy sales person, and bored demo person made a combination for a bad time
Letter Jam - This was a really fun word game, was sold out by the time we had a good demo

There were more too...

• Like 1