Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

On 5/25/2019 at 11:16 AM, bucsfan333 said:

It's hard to find folks with the imagination to do that instead of just hacking and slashing and launching spells. But the game is 10000000x more fun if/when stuff like that happens, in my opinion.

Indeed. It's those moments that you remember for the longest of times and brag about with the crew for years to come.

Props also to the DM.

And yes I realize it's scripted but you know that someone who has played wrote that scene.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

If they look around, they'll find it. It's drained of blood. But he'd have it back.

You need one of the villains around there to bronze it if they don't find it.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

It'll definitely come back up somewhere if they don't. Maybe as a mummified and reanimated Thing.

Having a major baddie bronze it and making it a spellcasting focus for said baddie would be priceless. Especially if the hand was shaped in the form of a pointing finger.

• Like 1

I played a new game  yesterday. Worked well since it was kind of a crappy and raining day. My wife and I got Lord of the Rings: Journey in Middle Earth to the table. This is the new app integrated game from Fantasy Flight set in the Lord of the Rings universe. You can play as some characters like Gimli, Legolas, Aragorn, and Bilbo or a couple of other made up characters. What is interesting about this game, while you play a campaign, the app is able to keep it unique and make the set-up feel different. We were able to track down the bandits and that's as far as we got. But the game does a good job of saving what you've done, so we'll be able to jump back into it quickly now.

I wrote a comparison article on Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth, Star Wars Imperial Assault, and Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition from Fantasy Flight to compare their app based games. I ended up deciding that I like Mansions of Madness the best, it is less clunky than Imperial Assault, and Journeys in Middle Earth has too many main characters, so how are you going to explain when I kill Gimli because I'm playing him recklessly (or like Gimli)? At least Imperial Assault puts you adjacent to the main characters, but you aren't them.

• Like 1

Played some Ice Cool last night to get ready for the North American Championship. I should probably practice more, I wasn't good, and drinking at 9 AM is apparently frowned upon for some reason so that won't be helping my game.

Also played a new scenario in Mansions of Madness. The first scenario is okay, probably some of that's because I've played it three times, but I really liked how this new scenario was different and presented some very interesting options where fighting wasn't the only option and often not even that great an option. It was also interesting because you were out on the street and spending time running around to different locations (or at least I was), finding clues, versus just being in a mansion.

We got to the edge of almost too much shenanigans tonight. Which isn't really a thing. 😂 But things almost got out of hand.

We made it to the next hall in almost four hours. And they'd already figured out where to go. All that was in the next hall was statues, two of which are/were mimics. One has a key in it to the set of doors at the end of the hall. But we have a rogue. 

Got some more Pandemic Legacy Season 1 in last night. Game went really well and won it handily. Helps that I know kind of what is coming, though I remember the timing of none of it. Had a slight hiccup in recording it where I lost a little bit of the game, but I'm pretty sure that I was able to recap what happened quite well and that it was only a few minutes of lost time.

Tomorrow, though, is International Table Top Day. Some FLGS will have deals, so I'm going to run out to one tomorrow morning and see if I can find anything interesting or a good deal. Last year I was in LA for ITTD and my wife won a copy of Sagrada.

So, went to The Source, local Minneapolis game/comic/nerd shop. They had 25% off your purchase for that day. I was pleased with what I got.

I game Two of the Four boxes for Dice Throne Season 2. It's a great dice rolling battle game. Should be one on one, but can be played with more. Didn't get a chance to try them yet.

I also got Welcome To. It's a card flipping and write game (basically a roll and write). I did a solo play of the game yesterday to learn the rules. It's an interesting puzzle for a game and I did okay-ish on my first play, still need to figure out what some better strategies might be.

I now have done 5 games of Pandemic Legacy Season 1. I do remember what is going to happen some, but there are also parts that I don't remember well. It's kind of fun exploring it again.

Also, went back to the spot I had sold my magic cards to use some more store credit, picked up Specter Ops. It's a 1 vs 1 or more where you are using hidden movement to try and get several keys before the other players can corner  you and kill you.

Board game night this past weekend. Got in a lot of games.

Zombie Dice - simple push your luck dice rolling game, but it's easy enough to play.

Welcome To (played twice) - A calm roll (flip) and write game. Fast to play and pretty easy to teach, caused me to order a few other roll/flip and write games.

Five Tribes - A good point salad sort of game that is beautiful on the table. There's a lot to think about in the game with the mancala like moving of meeples.

Hanimakoji - We had a few minutes for a two player game, so we snuck in this favorite. It's such a good game and such a thinky game.

Smallworld - Get it to the table once or twice a year, but it's always fun and it's so easy to play. I lost pretty badly, but I had an epic last turn, so that is great.

Playing some more T.I.M.E. Stories tonight, I'm excited for the second story. The first was fun and good to get up and running, but I'm really looking forward to this next one.

Also, played some more Pandemic Legacy Season 1 last night. Was a good game, that video is up on youtube. I've been having fun streaming them.

And I started writing a series of articles on Dungeons and Dragons alignments. It's an interesting topic to think about and how you can use them well in your game.