Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

On 4/6/2019 at 3:03 PM, bucsfan333 said:

I've greatly modified Tomb of Annihilation and made it our party's next stop to recover a crown and scepter. Should be good times.

Nice. I've kind of wanted to play in a Tomb of Annihilation game. I think it's interesting to potentially be challenged more as a player to figure out a way through and avoid all the death. Not a game type I'd want to play all the time, but for a few sessions could be very cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Played an epic game of Star Wars: Rebellion. Played as the rebels for the first time, almost won, was closer than I've seen the rebels get before, but maybe I'm just that great as the empire. I got lucky early on and completed 3 missions on a single turn and started to really get the support of the people. A couple of good moves at the end of the game, and a mistake by me on the last turn, ended up costing me the game, though, think there was a chance I still would have lost anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Started planning GenCon events. So many events to choose from, most with 4-8 different times they are being held over the weekend. Definitely fun to look through everything, but kind of overwhelming and kind of too easy to over book ones self even with some ideas early, because the actual sign-ups even start.

56 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I'm getting my solo board gaming channel off the ground. Was messing around with it yesterday, but I think there's a good chance I'll do my first video, playing the little game Onirim tonight.

If you can record the stream for later viewing on Youtube, please do. :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

If you can record the stream for later viewing on Youtube, please do. :) 

Yeah, they are all going to show up on the channel as well, not only live streaming. In fact the first video I recorded and uploaded, but the plan is live streaming most of it.

• Like 1

So got to play several board games this weekend.

Played Lord of the Rings Dice Game as well as Just One for the first time. Then played One Night Ultimate Vampire. LotR Dice Game was a fine push your luck sort of game. You are trying to get the ring to Mt Doom before the Nazgul reaches the end of their track. Just One is a very good party game where you are playing cooperatively trying to guess a word. The person who is it picks a number and the other players look at the corresponding word on the players card and write down a one word clue. The issue is that if you duplicate a clue, that clue isn't shown to the person. So it's possible, but unlikely, that there could be no clues. For example, we had the word "Karate", the two clues that the person could see were "Discipline" and "Style" and the two they couldn't see both said "Kid". They still got it right. And I'd played One Night Ultimate Vampire before, it's an okay social deduction game, but it's really more of a randomly guessing at the end game. Too little information to actually know anything in my opinion.

And I got my first solo board game play up on the YouTube channel. I played Onirim. I'm going to go back and watch it today, it's about a 25 minute video. It's a fun little game though that plays fast. Definitely a good introductory solo board game.There's an awesome app for it too so you can play it on your phone.

4 hours ago, The Gnat said:

And I got my first solo board game play up on the YouTube channel. I played Onirim. I'm going to go back and watch it today, it's about a 25 minute video. It's a fun little game though that plays fast. Definitely a good introductory solo board game.There's an awesome app for it too so you can play it on your phone.

That would be an interesting question/concept for your channel: is it worth buying the app or the tabletop game? For instance, with my kids, playing Ticket to Ride is fun, but the app is much better since it makes cleanup and scoring so much easier. It's also well done. From what I've read about the Terraforming Mars app, I passed on it because it was unreliable/buggy. Maybe they've fixed that, but knowing if the game can be played on phone/tablet and whether you should play would be useful information.

Oh, and PM me your channel info. :D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Woz said:

That would be an interesting question/concept for your channel: is it worth buying the app or the tabletop game? For instance, with my kids, playing Ticket to Ride is fun, but the app is much better since it makes cleanup and scoring so much easier. It's also well done. From what I've read about the Terraforming Mars app, I passed on it because it was unreliable/buggy. Maybe they've fixed that, but knowing if the game can be played on phone/tablet and whether you should play would be useful information.

Oh, and PM me your channel info. :D

With Onirim, I'd say that it is slightly better on the app. Mainly because you have to shuffle a lot in Onirim, so a game without me shuffling it myself, I can play a game in 5 minutes, playing the physical copy, it's about 10 minutes, it took me 20 minutes while explaining what I'm doing.

I played a couple more games of Onirim, this time doing a live stream. Took  me a bit to get that set-up correctly, but it worked well once I did. I really do like Onirim as a solo game. There's enough challenge, but there's nothing that makes the game bog down much. Some games, when playing solo, end up with your spending more time making the game do things than you actually do things. This can be a problem if the story sucks. in the game and it's just mechanics.

Got my GenCon event tickets yesterday:

Marvel Legendary (you have a chance to win an expansion or something like that, the other person wanted to do it who I'm going with)
Harry Potter Miniatures Game
Village Attacks
Ice Cool North American Championship
Savage World RPG game with Dresden Files skin on it
Role Player Adventures (new game, not sure if it's going to be released at GenCon or playtesting)

Also Marc Gunn Hobbit Drinking Songs. Some hour long evening music thing, again something the other person cared about more.

Also got a few generic tickets, in case there's something else we end up wanting to do, or a chunk of time.

Was a bit bummed to miss out on Detective: City of Angels, but that was completely sold out by the time we were up there in queues.

Started playing Pandemic Legacy Season 1 solo. Played through it once with a group of four people, now playing through it by myself and controlling two characters. I had a fun time making the video for it, though I think it's a bit rough at times still, I felt like I did a decent job explaining the game as I went and what I was doing, or at least I hope that I did. The first game doesn't offer too many tough decisions, otherwise it would have been more work to explain as I went along.

On 5/22/2019 at 7:30 AM, The Gnat said:

Started playing Pandemic Legacy Season 1 solo. Played through it once with a group of four people, now playing through it by myself and controlling two characters. I had a fun time making the video for it, though I think it's a bit rough at times still, I felt like I did a decent job explaining the game as I went and what I was doing, or at least I hope that I did. The first game doesn't offer too many tough decisions, otherwise it would have been more work to explain as I went along.

Got the second game in last night, kind of wish I was able to play a game every night, but unfortunately evenings start filling up tonight through Sunday basically. Maybe I'll have a chance on Saturday evening. Second game was actually easier than the first, I got lucky with it.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Got the second game in last night, kind of wish I was able to play a game every night, but unfortunately evenings start filling up tonight through Sunday basically. Maybe I'll have a chance on Saturday evening. Second game was actually easier than the first, I got lucky with it.

Yeah, game one was a rough layout (though, you did get a good jump getting four red's in your opening hand).