Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

• 3 weeks later...

I've been really diving back into thinking about Dungeons and Dragons. Looks like there is a chance that I'll be getting to go as a player soon, but also will be back to running my own game soon. I have a ton of different options for campaigns right now and it's been a lot of fun to explore them. I'm trying to work on flesh out the campaigns more than I normally do, because that will then help me drive my improv style of Dungeon Mastering.

On 2/20/2019 at 12:14 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I need more 2 player games for the wife and I. Almost bough Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum but couldn't part with the 1500 pesos they wanted. Biggest issue is I'm better at strategy games so after a few times playing a game, the odds of winning favor me which obviously is no fun for either of us. 

Any recommendations? Right now we own: Hive, Kahuna, Jaipur, and Patchwork (probably our favorite). 

My wife and I play a ton of Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle. It’s a 2-4 player co-op. Fantastic Beasts Perilous Pursuit is fun, but needs expansions. One Deck Dungeon is also a great 2 player co-op game. Pandemic Legacy 1&2 are great with two people, also co-op. And we’re currently playing Charterstone. It’s not co-op, but we’re pretty much treating it that way.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:40 AM, The Gnat said:

I've been really diving back into thinking about Dungeons and Dragons. Looks like there is a chance that I'll be getting to go as a player soon, but also will be back to running my own game soon. I have a ton of different options for campaigns right now and it's been a lot of fun to explore them. I'm trying to work on flesh out the campaigns more than I normally do, because that will then help me drive my improv style of Dungeon Mastering.

I’m in the middle of developing my Pathfinder homebrew. I’m basically doing the first Final Fantasy as D&D. Characters are rolled up (we used a Harrow Deck character generation method which is pretty fun), the players will start largely solo, then come together as the story moves along. It’s a pretty daunting task, but I’m excited to get going.

16 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

I’m in the middle of developing my Pathfinder homebrew. I’m basically doing the first Final Fantasy as D&D. Characters are rolled up (we used a Harrow Deck character generation method which is pretty fun), the players will start largely solo, then come together as the story moves along. It’s a pretty daunting task, but I’m excited to get going.

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/

On 3/30/2019 at 9:53 PM, fretgod99 said:

Nice, that sounds like a fun time. I'm not familiar with Harrow Deck for character creation. I will say, get players together as fast as possible, you're going to find that players are getting bored when they are sitting there waiting for you to finish up someone else's part, and it could take a while for you to get them together, you're going to find that players are less into the game.

15 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Nice, that sounds like a fun time. I'm not familiar with Harrow Deck for character creation. I will say, get players together as fast as possible, you're going to find that players are getting bored when they are sitting there waiting for you to finish up someone else's part, and it could take a while for you to get them together, you're going to find that players are less into the game.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CaRq2iGxVH9qD157K47YqWrz5hce_NfdXYWNBEjgM7E/mobilebasic

12 hours ago, Woz said:

Interesting. Feels like something that would be useful to have as an online generator (for a GM, you can say "make Nature X" and then go from there).

Yeah, it’s pretty maleable. My whole crew had fun with it. The cards and descriptions are obviously vague, but there’s enough there to build character background on in a number of different ways if you want. For the stats, you end up at 25-point buy with the standard method, a little more powerful than typical, but you don’t pick your stats and they’re almost always more spread out, so it balances out. Pre-racial modifiers, everyone will almost assuredly have a 16, or a couple 15s. But then you’ll also have a 14 or two. So very fun, playable characters who are a bit more diverse than you typically see with point buy because you can’t min-max.

Also, since you don’t pick stats, there’s a bit of randomness to your character. So either you play something other than what you were thinking going in or you have the proberbial wizard with 15 strength, etc.

And in the end, as a gm you can always let someone swap some stats if they have their heart set on something in particular.

It takes something that is ordinarily very mundane (stat generation) and actually makes it kind of engaging and exciting. It’s fun!

Had a misprinted/cut board game piece for Dice Throne Season 1. E-mailed the company to get a replacement for it 5-6 weeks ago, they said it takes 2-4 weeks, was getting ready to e-mail them about it again yesterday afternoon. Turns out that 2:30 yesterday they sent out the replacement piece. I'm excited to get the fixed piece to play that character in the game.

Selling most of my magic cards today. I'm keeping 4 commander decks (two solid, my first one, and one that was built for a crappy commander tourney we did). Besides that though, I'm selling something around 10k commons/uncommons and 1k rares and mythic rares and a few cards worth things that I pulled. We'll see how much I get for them, but generally 50% if what stores should be offering or around that. So that will be about $1k, which would be cool to get back.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:32 AM, The Gnat said:

Selling most of my magic cards today. I'm keeping 4 commander decks (two solid, my first one, and one that was built for a crappy commander tourney we did). Besides that though, I'm selling something around 10k commons/uncommons and 1k rares and mythic rares and a few cards worth things that I pulled. We'll see how much I get for them, but generally 50% if what stores should be offering or around that. So that will be about $1k, which would be cool to get back.

Dropped the cards off yesterday, I'm hoping I'll get an offer today and go in tomorrow and get my money. I'm thinking probably $800-1000 still from talking with the guy. I'm also thinking I'll do some store credit.