Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

4 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Was able to get my hands on Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. Got it punched out and hope to get some play in later this week.

Nice! I will be grabbing that at some point in time. The Target I went grocery shopping at was out it looked like, but it'll be hitting FLGS soon

2 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

I think August for the FLGS.

That's what I've heard for it.

In other Gloomhaven/Frosthaven news, Isaac Childres the designer of the games has announced scenario books for both of those games, so no extra monsters, classes, anything like that, just books of scenarios that you can play, which is cool, I don't know that it's another campaign, but additional scenarios would be fun for those who have gotten through everything, which for Gloomhaven is a fair number, and Frosthaven hasn't even come out yet.

6 hours ago, The Gnat said:

That's what I've heard for it.

In other Gloomhaven/Frosthaven news, Isaac Childres the designer of the games has announced scenario books for both of those games, so no extra monsters, classes, anything like that, just books of scenarios that you can play, which is cool, I don't know that it's another campaign, but additional scenarios would be fun for those who have gotten through everything, which for Gloomhaven is a fair number, and Frosthaven hasn't even come out yet.

I don't have nor have I played the OG Gloomhaven but from the videos I have seen from the JotL the scenario books would be a big seller. Just to save setup time from the original game.

14 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I don't have nor have I played the OG Gloomhaven but from the videos I have seen from the JotL the scenario books would be a big seller. Just to save setup time from the original game.

Set-up is a bit long, though just by getting the Gloomhaven Helper app that solves a lot of the longest part. It also depends on if you play solo or not. We have three of us, and we can get a scenario set-up in a few minutes, but JotL seems like a nice jumping off point into Gloomhaven.

• Like 1

Ordered a new game:

Cross Clues- Cooperative party game where you work together giving clues to connect two words together on a grid, so hard is a 5x5 grid, so for example, if the word for A is Monkey and the word for 3 is scream, you could give a one word clue of howler, hopefully people put two and two together, and they guess A3 for your coordinate, if they get it right, it goes face up in that spot, if they get it wrong, it goes face down by the board, so theoretically it gets easier, but you give clues in no order, so anyone can. Seems like one I can modify for online and will be a lot of fun. I like cooperative and quick party style games.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:08 PM, SirA1 said:

Was able to get my hands on Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. Got it punched out and hope to get some play in later this week.

Still hoping to get this to the table, maybe tomorrow. I got caught up in Arkham Horror: LCG and played a ton the last two days. 

Completed out the Opening campaign from the Core set and then built a new Deck using Jenny Barnes and played it again. 

Ordered the rest of the Dunwich Mythos packs so I can play those next week. 

• Like 1

Went to a new FLGS today looking for Mythos Packs and ended up finding Blood Rage for MSRP. Heard tons of amazing stuff about it and did back the 3rd in this series in Ankh so will give this one a try too while I wait on that.

Plus gives my wife more miniatures to paint. She finished a couple of standees that hold the mini Investigator cards for Arkham, once they dry I will try and find a way to post pics.

• Like 1

Did an early morning check on Target.com and found the slow release of Jaws on the Lion that they've been doing on there. So that's on the way, should be here middle of next week. Now, do I play it solo, hold off on playing it until I can play in person again, play with my wife? I'm thinking we'll try the tutorial to see if she likes it or not.

Blood Rage is awesome! That's one that I tracked down after a long time, so hard to find. Got it second hand from someone who had gotten it on Kickstarter, most of the KSE stuff was already sold, so I only got the base game and the gods pack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Blood Rage is awesome! That's one that I tracked down after a long time, so hard to find. Got it second hand from someone who had gotten it on Kickstarter, most of the KSE stuff was already sold, so I only got the base game and the gods pack.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised. The store is actually a Comic shop that was a Satellite store for a different Store I had been to in a town about 30 min away. So I was not expecting the huge amount of board games. They have other stuff like Gaia Project, Power Grid and many others I had interest in but when I asked about the price of Blood Rage and it was well under what it sells for online I was sold.

I'm going to try and play though the first few scenarios of JotL today or tomorrow. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Some friends are playing Gloomhaven and I feel like I'm missing out. Need to find a group and friends closer to home.

There is a scripted version of the game, so easier scenario set-up and tear down on TTS. Also if you can find it Jaws of the Lion is a good small box version from everything I've heard of the game. Cleans up some of the massiveness of the main game, which I love about the main game, but unless you have a giant table might not work.