Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion came in yesterday.

Cross Clues was a success for board game night. Lots of fun, we played it modified because normally everyone gives clues, but you can have easy pairings and hard. Just to recap how it plays, you have a 3x3 up to 5x5 grid with the points A-C and 1-3 for each direction, each of those points has a word and you have to give a one word clue to get people to guess the point on the grid you have. Played it three times, first one was really easy, words came together well and I think we got 12 out of the possible 16, next one was really hard, ended up with 9 or 10 out of the 16, final one was a bit easier but not as easy as the first. We got better at giving clues as well.

Had our first game night at our Sister/Brother in law's new house they moved into about 3 weeks ago. It has good space and we are hoping to do this every few weeks or so. In addition to the owners, my wife's other sister and her fiance also wanted to try some games out so we had 6 total, with 4 being new to board gaming so I brought some easier options as the only games my brother in law has are Scythe and Spirit Island.

I brought King of Tokyo, Marrying Mr. Darcy, Horrified and Res Arcana. Things relatively easy to teach and that had about an hour play time.

We ended up getting two games of King of Tokyo in with the fiance winning by knocking everyone out in the first game and my wife's sister winning the second game by getting 20 stars. Fun was had by all. 

We also got in one game of Marrying Mr. Darcy. It is a card game where you play the female characters from Pride and Prejudice trying to fight each other to marry the most eligible suitor. Each character gets a different point value for marrying the different suitors and you also build a tableau with point cards and whoever has the highest points wins. There are two phases. First is courtship where you draw and do what the card says from an event deck to get your points on the board. Once the deck is out it goes to the marrying stage and there is a turn order the players try and get their suitors to propose by rolling a die. Failure results in being an Old Maid.

It's a cute little card game that takes 30-60 min depending on players. But is does accommodate 6 people which is why I brought it. The ladies had a better idea of what was actually going on but it was fun for all. 

Looking forward to the next game night in 2 weeks.

• Like 1

King of Tokyo is always a fun time.

We have Marrying Mr Darcy as well, most of the people in our group  know the book or movie well enough to appreciate it. I think it's a fine little game. I feel like, because there isn't a ton of variety in the game, that it lasts a bit too long for what it is, but it can be a good silly time.

Played two more games of Dice Throne on TTS, it works well there, but I'm very ready to play some games in person again. I should schedule something with a friend or maybe two to play. It's hard to know, because I probably have a friend who won't play in person until there's a vaccine, whereas some others might be just fine, but I don't want to presume. I should just as a couple of friends their comfort level of gaming in person.

• Like 1

Played Small World with my brother (and wife and kid) last night over Google Meet. I used an old web cam I had laying around to give my brother a top down view of the game board. He used money from another game board to keep his score (since it has to be private). 

It worked relatively well. We might be doing some other game nights like this soon to connect with some people we've been avoiding during the pandemic. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that is one game that we played early in the Pandemic, depending on the size of group, we've had good luck with Just One, Cross Clues, Criss Cross, and Scattergories (and there's a website that can create and randomize list and do the timer and everything for you).

• Like 1

More gaming last night, had one friend over and we played three games of Silver Amulet and two of Cartographers. Both are fun and fast and ones that I definitely am finding I enjoy quite a lot. Plus they work well at two players, though Cartographers would work well at any player count really. I went 5-0, destroyed in Silver Amulet, but I'm pretty good at that one, the person I was playing against has trouble remembering what numbers are were. Cartrographers, first game I won by a bit, but the second game was 93-90, so extremely close.

Anyone play many roll/flip and write games? So Yahtzee like, other games are Second Chance, Quixx, Welcome Too... and more. What are some of your favorites. I've been enjoying them lately because my wife and I can play them pretty fast in an evening.

8 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Anyone play many roll/flip and write games? So Yahtzee like, other games are Second Chance, Quixx, Welcome Too... and more. What are some of your favorites. I've been enjoying them lately because my wife and I can play them pretty fast in an evening.

We stick to these often as a couples game lately due to the lack of gaming friends around us right now. The luck-based nature of them is better since my wife is less strategy prone than I am. Quixx is a big one. Farkle too. My in-laws recently got Deer in the Headlights and it has been a big hit.

I haven't played Quixx, which is kind of odd since that kind of started the craze. If you want some that are less luck based @titansNvolsR#1 I really recommend Welcome Too... it's a flip and write game, so similar premise, but flipping through a deck of cards means that you are guaranteed to see a more even balance of numbers, and it does more things to allow you to have some strategy. Cartographers is another one that kind of fits that mold. I'd also recommend both of those and games like Railroad Ink, Criss Cross, or Second Chance where everyone is using the same rolls or cards because while it can be lucky as to what comes up, everyone is in the same boat.

I picked up Marvel Battlemasters yesterday at Target, it's one of those blind pack buys that is mainly a toy, but they have a game with it which is basically fight against "Thanos" or various random threats and then if you break open a "Thanos Stone" you can open up another character to add to your collection. Super simple, roll a die, add in a number, see if you match or beat the target, but I like the toy factor of it and it's a super simple cooperative game that anyone can pick-up.

Welp. We got a late start because of stuff, and then it took a while to set up because we haven’t played in a while. And then I thought a card was missing for a good 20 minutes but it turns out the scenario is just constructed differently and didn’t have the card. So the night was a bust. But we’re ready to play maybe tomorrow night.