2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

38 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

What size does he want? Commanders had a fullback the last three seasons that I don't think will be back. Alex Armah. He's listed as 6'1 255

245-255 seems like the right range for a fullback. It's hard for NFL teams to find prospects at fullback and blocking tight end because colleges normally run full time 3-WR (or 4-WR) offenses. Even in the NFL these days, fullbacks are on the endangered species list and on their way to extinction.

Nowadays if you are running a play that calls for a FB, you just put your blocking TE in the backfield. But Greg Roman can't do that because he likes 22 personnel on first (and often second) downs.

Edited by Mr.UFO

21 hours ago, Mr.UFO said:

Here's one you probably haven't thought of: What are the Chargers going to do for a fullback? Greg Roman likes using one. There are zero true FBs in the draft -- they are all converted from other positions, and are all on the smallish side. The Falcons won't re-sign Keith Smith, but Roman might think he's a little too light. Maybe LA will wait to see who doesn't make the Saints -- Zander Horvath (who was released by the Chargers last season) or Adam Prentice.

I think Ben Sinnott is the best option for a fullback analogue in this draft, personally. Has the size and athletic characteristics that you want, blocked well as a wing/second tight end in college. Is actually really useful in the passing game. He doesn't have the experience finding the exact right place while being in the middle of the I, but no one in this class has that experience, really. 

Best remaining FAs of the top 101 per NFL.com:

• Stephon Gilmore
  • Justin Simmons
  • Calais Campbell
  • Connor Williams
  • Steven Nelson
  • Adoree' Jackson
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Odell Beckham
  • J.K. Dobbins
  • Tyler Boyd
  • Micah Hyde
  • Teair Tart
  • Andrus Peat
  • Ahkello Witherspoon
  • Emmanuel Ogbah
  • Donovan Smith
  • Dalton Risner
  • Michael Thomas
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

• Stephon Gilmore
  • Justin Simmons
  • Calais Campbell
  • Connor Williams
  • Steven Nelson
  • Adoree' Jackson
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Odell Beckham
  • J.K. Dobbins
  • Tyler Boyd
  • Micah Hyde
  • Teair Tart
  • Andrus Peat
  • Ahkello Witherspoon
  • Emmanuel Ogbah
  • Donovan Smith
  • Dalton Risner
  • Michael Thomas

I'm curious to see what the market is for Nelson.  Obviously nobody want to pay him a ton since he is still available.  I'm shocked Gilmore and Simmons still available too. 

9 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I'm curious to see what the market is for Nelson.  Obviously nobody want to pay him a ton since he is still available.  I'm shocked Gilmore and Simmons still available too. 

I think a lot of these guys are waiting till after the draft at this point.

I think Gilmore is a fan favorite for Detroit. His brother is on the Lions.

On 4/4/2024 at 4:22 PM, Mr.UFO said:

Here's one you probably haven't thought of: What are the Chargers going to do for a fullback? Greg Roman likes using one. There are zero true FBs in the draft -- they are all converted from other positions, and are all on the smallish side. The Falcons won't re-sign Keith Smith, but Roman might think he's a little too light. Maybe LA will wait to see who doesn't make the Saints -- Zander Horvath (who was released by the Chargers last season) or Adam Prentice.

They unsurprisingly signed Ben Mason last week. He was a fullback for Michigan a few years back and spent time with the Ravens. 

On 4/5/2024 at 11:40 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

• Stephon Gilmore
  • Justin Simmons
  • Calais Campbell
  • Connor Williams
  • Steven Nelson
  • Adoree' Jackson
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Odell Beckham
  • J.K. Dobbins
  • Tyler Boyd
  • Micah Hyde
  • Teair Tart
  • Andrus Peat
  • Ahkello Witherspoon
  • Emmanuel Ogbah
  • Donovan Smith
  • Dalton Risner
  • Michael Thomas

I'm kind of surprised Connor Williams hasn't landed somewhere.  I'm guessing the injury stuff must be pretty significant at this point?

As far as Calais Campbell goes...i'd throw a few bucks at him to come back and be honorary Mayor of Sacksonville for a season again.  But he's probably just mostly done at this point.  Could see him just waiting and signing with a team that looks like a contender later into the season to take one last kick at the can.

During an appearance on SportsCenter on Sunday, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported that Goff is expected to receive a contract extension worth $45-50 million annually. Fowler noted that while there is mutual interest between the two sides, the deal still needs to be ironed out.

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

During an appearance on SportsCenter on Sunday, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported that Goff is expected to receive a contract extension worth $45-50 million annually. Fowler noted that while there is mutual interest between the two sides, the deal still needs to be ironed out.

I knew when Mahomes signed his deal, he would eventually get passed up by a couple other QBs, but we're already Prescott and Goff extensions away from his deal being 10th, and that's just absurd. Feels like the Bills have signed damn near the only sensible QB deal since then. Josh Allen isn't quite as good as Mahomes, and he got like $2M per year less one year later. Made perfect sense. And yet, how they managed that is honestly astounding in retrospect given what every other QB has signed for since. You've got Kirk Cousins and Kyler Murray starting negotiations at, more than Mahomes money or we walk.

20 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I knew when Mahomes signed his deal, he would eventually get passed up by a couple other QBs, but we're already Prescott and Goff extensions away from his deal being 10th, and that's just absurd. Feels like the Bills have signed damn near the only sensible QB deal since then. Josh Allen isn't quite as good as Mahomes, and he got like $2M per year less one year later. Made perfect sense. And yet, how they managed that is honestly astounding in retrospect given what every other QB has signed for since. You've got Kirk Cousins and Kyler Murray starting negotiations at, more than Mahomes money or we walk.

Purdy and tua are going to get these deals next season too 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Yep. Knew the Mahomes deal would be a steal, and loved the Allen deal too. Just wish it was longer lol

2 hours ago, Forge said:

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I think this is a perfectly reasonable AAV for Goff since it's below Burrow and Lamar. Should allow some wiggle room to keep the team competitive.

Mahomes and Allen remind me of the old school deals. They both got paid, handsomely, but they’re didn’t take their teams to the cleaners or get as much as they probably could have forced. Don’t see that much, tbh. 

Goff coming in at $45M is probably fair, though. Basically the same cap% as Daniel Jones at the time, AAV wise. Less than Burrow, Hurts, Herbert, and Lamar, obviously. Less than Dak at the time. 

That said, I have to imagine other positions’ percentages have gone up on average. Especially at WR. So penny pinching where you can is always preferable. If Detroit gets favorable terms, I’m not hating on it. You could do something with Goff.

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

I think this is a perfectly reasonable AAV for Goff since it's below Burrow and Lamar. Should allow some wiggle room to keep the team competitive.

I agree it is reasonable relative to those two deals. But I don't think those two deals are reasonable. I feel like Murray and Watson getting deals over Mahomes broke the QB market. Like, those guys should've gotten $40M or a little above, to be below Allen, and then Burrow/Jackson/Herbert could've now broken the Mahomes barrier as time has gone on and gotten a little above $45M. Instead, Burrow skyrocketed to $55M, which is ridiculous, and Goff an Cousins are in the $45M tier.

I just think the contracts there have gone up way too fast. The cap has gone up, obviously, but QB AAV has gone up way faster compared to other positions, and it feels like it's been driven by guys who shouldn't be driving the market up. Burrow and Lamar should've been the guys to push things over $45M, not Murray and Watson, and it's broken all the way down as a result now.

1 hour ago, Soko said:

Mahomes and Allen remind me of the old school deals. They both got paid, handsomely, but they’re didn’t take their teams to the cleaners or get as much as they probably could have forced. Don’t see that much, tbh. 

Goff coming in at $45M is probably fair, though. Basically the same cap% as Daniel Jones at the time, AAV wise. Less than Burrow, Hurts, Herbert, and Lamar, obviously. Less than Dak at the time. 

That said, I have to imagine other positions’ percentages have gone up on average. Especially at WR. So penny pinching where you can is always preferable. If Detroit gets favorable terms, I’m not hating on it. You could do something with Goff.

FWIW:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1b9xa3i/growth_in_the_average_top_5_salaries_at_each/

Wanted to find Jason's original tweet, but was struggling. But over a decade, cap has gone up 92%, so that would be the mid-range for positional salary growth. RT I think is a bit of an anomaly, as I think the old prioritization of LTs specifically has just gone away, and OT is kind of lumped together now, especially as a lot of elite pass rushers rush from the right side nowadays. But otherwise, QBs have definitely got a disproportionate amount of the raises. Which I get....but also disagree with.