Around The League

Jerry

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The only player that has proven to be an effective NFL player is Meyers. 

Miller, James Parham. Bowers will be legit. Tucker is ascending. Mayer looks solid. 

Basically pick up a WR somewhere to replace Adams assuming you move him.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Miller, James Parham. Bowers will be legit. Tucker is ascending. Mayer looks solid. 

Basically pick up a WR somewhere to replace Adams assuming you move him.

James and Parham are average players at best. Bowers is totally unproven. Tucker is ascending based on what? He had 19 receptions last year, Mayer had 27, neither has proven anything when the games actually count.

Replacing the best WR in football isn't easy, I mean we were one of the worst offenses in the league last year with all of the guys you mentioned + Adams and Jacobs, lol.

Name an alternative that's not "it was easy" to trade up for a QB, which isn't accurate. Who's your starting QB?

Kirk Cousins, Michael Penix, JJ McCarthy, or Bo Nix.

Nothing worth having is easy to acquire, we came into last off-season with a massive hole at QB, and still have the worst QB room in the league. While the Falcons were able to swing on two guys that they liked. 

We've seen time and time again, if you want to win in the NFL, you have to acquire a good QB. The Raiders haven't had one in decades and that's why we've been the laughing stock of the league for 20+ years. But at least we got a TE2 tho

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Kirk Cousins, Michael Penix, JJ McCarthy, or Bo Nix.

Nothing worth having is easy to acquire, we came into last off-season with a massive hole at QB, and still have the worst QB room in the league. While the Falcons were able to swing on two guys that they liked. 

We've seen time and time again, if you want to win in the NFL, you have to acquire a good QB. The Raiders haven't had one in decades and that's why we've been the laughing stock of the league for 20+ years. But at least we got a TE2 tho

You would have panned the GM for giving Kirk Cousins 100 mil guaranteed. Penix went 8, Falcons were not trading out. Vikings, we've covered were all in on McCarthy with a high draft position and extra one if they needed to outbid a team. 

Nix did you even like him? I feel you would have complained about taking him at 13 let alone trading up for him. 

Everything is so easy in hindsight isn't it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

True it’s better to stay put and effectively give up on a season instead. I’m just surprised AP and Telesco didn’t go get someone though, they’ll likely both be fired within the next 16 months unless they shock the world this year.

Yea. AP for sure HAS to show improvement by beginning of next year. Preferably this year tbh. But that's going to be hard given his starting point. And their QB situation. They're going to have to rely on having a squad that can pull out wins.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You would have panned the GM for giving Kirk Cousins 100 mil guaranteed. Penix went 8, Falcons were not trading out. Vikings, we've covered were all in on McCarthy with a high draft position and extra one if they needed to outbid a team. 

Nix did you even like him? I feel you would have complained about taking him at 13 let alone trading up for him. 

https://x.com/_mlfootball/status/1826010777934823759

Trading up was a possibility, they decided to sit on their hands. Sean Payton talks about it here. 

I would've been happy with any of the QBs.

Edited by NYRaider

59 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Yea. AP for sure HAS to show improvement by beginning of next year. Preferably this year tbh. But that's going to be hard given his starting point. And their QB situation. They're going to have to rely on having a squad that can pull out wins.

Agreed. I mean the team went 5-4 after he took over, if they regress it's going to look bad. Especially considering AP was the one that wanted Getsy and played a role in us passing on acquiring a QB.

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I was just going to say wasn't he dragging all the QB's? Now he says we should have got one of those guys. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

https://x.com/_mlfootball/status/1826010777934823759

Trading up was a possibility, they decided to sit on their hands. Sean Payton talks about it here. 

They didn't want to move up for Nix, who most panned the Broncos for over drafting at 12. You're point?

And you're full of it if you think you wouldn't have buried Telesco for trading up for Bo Nix.

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Sure you would have..... 

On 8/11/2024 at 3:10 PM, NYRaider said:

Maye might not even be in the league in 3 years

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

They didn't want to move up for Nix, who most panned the Broncos for over drafting at 12. You're point?

And you're full of it if you think you wouldn't have buried Telesco for trading up for Bo Nix.

at the end of the day we needed a QB. Telesco decided he’d rather punt this season

4 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I was just going to say wasn't he dragging all the QB's? Now he says we should have got one of those guys. 

I was a fan of all of the QB lol

I wasn’t as big on Maye / JJ

but liked Caleb Daniels and Penix 

Would you have preferred he traded multiple picks including a 1 next year to move up? Who for? 

I'm usually against trading a ton to move up. I'm not going to act like I'm not. 

That said, with hindsight and given our QB position and the FA signings, I would do it in a heartbeat in a redraft situation. 

Maye, McCarthy, Penix, or even Nix. I would've done what was necessary for any of them. There's no one-size-fits-all because in real time the cost would change as guys left the board. 

Maye was probably out of reach though. 

But I would have been blowing up the Giants, Titans, Bears, and Jets to go from 13 to 6, 7, 9, or 11. 

Considering who the potential trade partners took and the targets for who we needed to try and jump (Atlanta, Minnesota, Denver), I would've done it and I think all them would've been willing to play ball. 

I don't really care what anyone says though, I'm steadfast in my belief that AP wanted Daniels and once it was apparent he was out of reach, we folded, at the very least in spirit and mentality. Whether Telesco was in the same boat or they simply couldn't reach a consensus on Penix, McCarthy, or Nix is certainly debatable.

But I absolutely don't buy the "we tried and it didn't happen" excuse. Too many viable trade partners who could've likely still got their guy at 13. Outside of QB, there wasn't a "run" or even a risk of one on OTs or WRs that 13 would have taken the Giants, Titans, Bears, or Jets out of. Too much chatter about AP fawning over Daniels. Too much chatter about Telesco "always standing his ground" in round 1. Where there's smoke....

What's done is done and all we can do now is wait and hope the next time doesn't go bust again. But in hindsight, yeah, I would've given a pretty penny for any of them. 

I have a feeling we're going to have to trade up regardless. I would've rather done it this year than next. With contract talks, a 2026 1st probably hurts us more than giving up a 2025 1st to move up this year. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1