Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

I can't imagine he has the network to build his own defensive staff at his age. I assume by hiring him we would be keeping all our defensive staff so there's no reason to worry about hiring Parker quickly.

He's worked under 4 different DCs, he's networked plenty.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hugh_Mann said:

I hope he would not be strongly recommended/forced to keep all the current defensive position coaches
too many of them have been a part of the failed status quo for far too long

My one major reservation hiring this young would be: can he build a staff or will he just keep most of our coaches?

17 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I just want a different scheme, man. Parker is an up and comer but I want something fresh and some kind of departure from the Fangio scheme.

How do you know he's a Fangio guy? He had 1 year with him. He had more with Pettine. Now he's with Joseph who came up with Wade Phillips and Marvin Lewis and has swapped between 4-3 and 3-4. 

This is exactly what we want, a coach with multiple influences but an allegiance to none.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Honestly I think there's no rush to hire Christian Parker. His only other interview was with the Patriots and that position was filled a short while ago.

I can't imagine he has the network to build his own defensive staff at his age. I assume by hiring him we would be keeping all our defensive staff so there's no reason to worry about hiring Parker quickly to bring in order to bring in the best position coaches. He already knows most of the coaches from his time as a quality control coach and now all of a sudden he's their boss!

We can just take our time and see what happens after the conference championship games and see what talented coaches shake loose after the games been played.

I'm sorry but this is absolutely terrible logic. 

If you like the guy you hire him. Nothing is for certain that if / when other coaches become available to interview things work out your way. 

Filling out a Defensive Staff isn't going to be an issue for a guy who's worked under four coordinators in his time. It doesn't take 10 years to network in any business. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

How do you know he's a Fangio guy? He had 1 year with him. He had more with Pettine. Now he's with Joseph who came up with Wade Phillips and Marvin Lewis and has swapped between 4-3 and 3-4. 

This is exactly what we want, a coach with multiple influences but an allegiance to none.

Sure. I'm fine with Parker. He was with Evero too so that's at least 2 years in the Fangio system. He was in Denver when Fangio was the HC and Donatell was their DC. He was with Fangio more than Joseph. You'd hope he's a chameleon but I feel like he'd lean more into Fangio's scheme than Joseph's.

46 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah I didn't wanna give him the traffic lol

I don’t believe Mertig would know that but I’m beginning to get the vibe Parker is the leading candidate.

i wouldn’t be disappointed if Parker is the guy but id be disappointed if this was our DC search. Then agian MLF knows Parker and could have known he was his top guy for some time

Edited by Arthur Penske

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That's the curious part of this all with him. What did he put in front of MLF that he'd like to run with the Packers and his overall approach to things. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

So the Chi, NE, LAC, Philly DC openings are filled. That leaves Mia, LAR, ATL (non-playcaller opening), Sea (no HC yet so week/weeks away, Wash (same), Tenn, NYG.

Believe LV and Car want to retain Graham and Eviro, not sure the contract rules surrounding firing your HC, does that allow all assistants freedom to leave? Or if the new HC wants to keep you are you beholden to your contract?

Anyway, GB, Mia, LAR clearly are the spots you want if you're a top of the market candidate. HC's that would take back to back catastrophic years to lose their jobs, which most likely won't happen. As well as offenses that will take pressure off your defense. 

Imagine Dallas job will open up here soon too, my guess is Ben Johnson to Wash and Quinn to Sea.

If I caught the info correctly, I believe Quinn's interviewed 3 times already with WA. Given that no hire's happened, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a negative indicator.

Parker's definitely got a lot to pick from so you'd hope that maybe, just maybe, he blends what he's learned and we get some kind of scheme that he cooks up and it becomes the "Parker system." He seems smart enough to pull it off.

19 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don’t believe Mertig would know that but I’m beginning to get the vibe Parker is the leading candidate.

i wouldn’t be disappointed if Parker is the guy but id be disappointed if this was our DC search. Then agian MLF knows Parker and could have known he was his top guy for some time

Interviewing Durde to meet the two-person Rooney requirement, Staley to prove you've looked at established retreads, and Babich because he's another up-and-comer to check out and make sure he's not a better candidate than Parker. It all kind of checks out.