Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

1 minute ago, craig said:

Interesting.  So it goes.  I can see why coaches really hate to have that kind of stuff get out.  

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Sounds like Orr was the guy. 

I don't really count that as being turned down or whatever. Looking at it objectively from Orrs position I'd stay in Baltimore too. Already know the players/org and the guy who was doing it before you just got a HC gig at a young age too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/s

Click on Savage.

2019: 65.7

2020: 72.1

2021: 57.3

2022: 47.5

2023: 75.5 (15'th ranked safety)

To be clear, I'm not disputing anything you are saying at all.

Just curious if you are seeing something else, as that has happened before with PFF, and that is very odd.

I am reasonably sure that PFF grades are spit out by a random number generator each time you visit the site.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don't really count that as being turned down or whatever. Looking at it objectively from Orrs position I'd stay in Baltimore too. Already know the players/org and the guy who was doing it before you just got a HC gig at a young age too.

No doubt. I just think it shows on that staff Orr was far and away #1, Wilson #2, Weaver #3 and Hewitt #4.

Going into the DC search our forum would've probably ranked them the opposite. 

Wow if true. This might be why Baltimore was forced to offer him the coordinator gig to avoid losing him.

LaFleur was really willing to change up the defence. I think he's done with the Pettine/Fangio style of defence.

Where was Christian Parker in all this? I really would like to know.

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Unless GB is somehow undermining these guys with the offer, having these candidates take the DC interview, but then not accept the position is getting a little annoying. 

I know I sound like a broken record with this, but they do have a reputation for cheaping out on assistants. Burned us with the special teams coaches before Bisaccia. But then we made him the highest paid in the league. Did we learn from that, or did we fall back into the realm of the cheap again considering Orr would be a green first timer? Then again, we surely ended up ponying up more for Hafley, considering he was set to make 3 mil for another year at BC. 

Edited by Isherwood

13 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am reasonably sure that PFF grades are spit out by a random number generator each time you visit the site.

PPF is absolutely and utter trash. 

Why it is referenced so much is beyond me. How many times have professional players come out and say how utterly poor PPF grades are compared to the in-house grades that actually matter. 

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Unless GB is somehow undermining these guys with the offer, having these candidates take the DC interview, but then not accept the position is getting a little annoying. 

Why would he leave the #1 ranked defense to come to GB if Baltimore was close on $? Even if GB offered some more $ I'd stay in Baltimore if I were him based on long term prospects. They have tradition of great defenses that he knows and also played there. His DC just got a HC gig while GB just fired their 2nd DC that is currently out of work.

• Like 2

I think we got a much more experienced candidate in Hafley.  I'm good with it.  I didn't rate Orr as highly because he'd only been at it for a few years.  I like that he was a former NFL player, and he seemed to have a fiery attitude and was a from a great program.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zing said:

PPF is absolutely and utter trash. 

Why it is referenced so much is beyond me. How many times have professional players come out and say how utterly poor PPF grades are compared to the in-house grades that actually matter. 

All 32 NFL teams, every D1 FBS college team, and a majority of FCS schools are customers of PFF. Sounds like they do something right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We HAD a clown car full of safeties.  We currently have Anthony Johnson Jr, Zayne Anderson, and Benny Sapp III.  If we cut them all, I believe that Johnson counts 25k against the cap.  

If it were my call, I would have the scouts hitting the DB workouts and film real hard, and have Hafley give his input too.  Hopefully go at this like we did WR, and just throw 3 picks at it and go with an all under 24 room.  If they are going to be bad, might as well be cheap and fast while doing it.  

Yes, going to need a revamping of the DB room.  They play a key role in Hafleys defenses.   The days of touch football are over for this secondary.  Some will make the transition, some won't.  You can bet it will be a focal point this offseason.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Yes, going to need a revamping of the DB room.  They play a key role in Hafleys defenses.   The days of touch football are over for this secondary.  Some will make the transition, some won't.  You can bet it will be a focal point this offseason.

Not just Rooks either.

• Like 1