Week 14 GDT: Titans @ 49ers

Forge

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Jimmy has taken some really hard hits in just 2 and a half games. It's nice that he's making some incredible play just before he gets hit.  But he's still getting hit. Not sure he can survive an entire season of those kinds of hits.

Agreed, but I think we could still improve that with the 2nd round pick and free agency quite a bit. And then continue in future years with mid-to-late first round picks. That'll be fine. Get the big playmaker now. 

Jimmy has taken some really hard hits in just 2 and a half games. It's nice that he's making some incredible play just before he gets hit.  But he's still getting hit. Not sure he can survive an entire season of those kinds of hits.

I should add I'd be happy with a pass rusher.  In fact if it weren't for my worries about JImmy surviving I think  I'd be happy with a pass rusher and a CB.  Our CBs corps as a group is awful, as are our pass rushers. Maybe we just count on Garnett being an upgrade and sign a guy like Pugh. That could still be a nice oline upgrade

Just now, big9erfan said:

I should add I'd be happy with a pass rusher.  In fact if it weren't for my worries about JImmy surviving I think  I'd be happy with a pass rusher and a CB.  Our CBs corps as a group is awful, as are our pass rushers. Maybe we just count on Garnett being an upgrade and sign a guy like Pugh. That could still be a nice oline upgrade

That's why I just said playmaker. Even if we got a ballhawk at CB in the first, I'd be happy. Because while an all-pro Guard would be great (since no tackle would be expected to start at tackle, even if we pick a tackle we'd assume they'd play guard year one), just an improvement to give Garoppolo more time is needed. All-pro would be fantastic, and I wouldn't complain. But I think only above average would be needed. So with that in mind, I'm beginning to look at other options. 

Olinbe blocking like trash. Chicken or the egg? Or maybe it's just both that are rotten?

I've never seen consistent exceptional play there from Hyde in his time here. I've always thought he was good, but would be best in a 2-back system. Right now, I don't see a ton of difference between Hyde and Breida from a pure runner standpoint. And at that point, I'd rather try someone new. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

That's why I just said playmaker. Even if we got a ballhawk at CB in the first, I'd be happy. Because while an all-pro Guard would be great (since no tackle would be expected to start at tackle, even if we pick a tackle we'd assume they'd play guard year one), just an improvement to give Garoppolo more time is needed. All-pro would be fantastic, and I wouldn't complain. But I think only above average would be needed. So with that in mind, I'm beginning to look at other options. 

I wish this were one of those years where there were 2 or 3 really great looking pass rushing prospects to choose from with our first pick.  Right now I'm not seeing a single one that looks like a "can't miss" (even though of course many of those guys do miss). Maybe CHubb is that guy.  Maybe he loses 10-15 pounds and gets even quicker and becomes a stud edge rusher. Maybe Key or Landry put it all together and become consistently good. I think I"d even settle for a situational pass rusher that can get regular pressure when he's in there even if he only ends up with 7-8 sacks.  That's way better than Tank or Eli or Pita.

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I wish this were one of those years where there were 2 or 3 really great looking pass rushing prospects to choose from with our first pick.  Right now I'm not seeing a single one that looks like a "can't miss" (even though of course many of those guys do miss). Maybe CHubb is that guy.  Maybe he loses 10-15 pounds and gets even quicker and becomes a stud edge rusher. Maybe Key or Landry put it all together and become consistently good. I think I"d even settle for a situational pass rusher that can get regular pressure when he's in there even if he only ends up with 7-8 sacks.  That's way better than Tank or Eli or Pita.

I've actually liked what I've seen from Marsh since he got here. Maybe over the course of the year, he could manage to flirt with the 7-8 sacks. But I'd love to get a really scary guy. If it's not the year, it's not the year, though. 

Archived