Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

5 minutes ago, sherm said:

My thoughts on Kyle. Obviously he's a great HC. Yes he's great offensive mind. Andy Reid and Kyle might be the 2 best when they're in their offensive bag. Difference excluding QB of course... is Reid will scrap it and do whatever is necessary to win. I don't question Kyle wanting to win... of course he does. I think he wants to win a certain way with his system on display. Reid saw the initial gm plan wasn't good enough. Kyle seems to stay the course no matter what or just can't make the on the fly adjustments quick enough. 

I don't have the confidence he'll make the necessary changes needed to over come those moments. I'm a 49ers fans first so of course I'll be all in next yr lol. Like I said before he won't have 100% buy in from the locker room next yr. Idk what the number will be but that has to have taken a hit.

It’s pretty similar to Reid. Scarily actually.

Step 1 of this happening will be Jed not extending (randomly) again. 

Shanny said something to the conference that was telling. He said he only ever regrets a game when he moves onto a plan they didn’t prepare for or practice for (paraphrasing). although this is understandable and maybe subject to interpretation, I think there’s a lot of coaches who don’t approach like that. 

it kills me because I’ve shanny, he made us relevant again but the heart break between him and Harbaugh is just insane 

23 minutes ago, sherm said:

My thoughts on Kyle. Obviously he's a great HC. Yes he's great offensive mind. Andy Reid and Kyle might be the 2 best when they're in their offensive bag. Difference excluding QB of course... is Reid will scrap it and do whatever is necessary to win. I don't question Kyle wanting to win... of course he does. I think he wants to win a certain way with his system on display. Reid saw the initial gm plan wasn't good enough. Kyle seems to stay the course no matter what or just can't make the on the fly adjustments quick enough. 

I don't have the confidence he'll make the necessary changes needed to over come those moments. I'm a 49ers fans first so of course I'll be all in next yr lol. Like I said before he won't have 100% buy in from the locker room next yr. Idk what the number will be but that has to have taken a hit.

Eh, I wasn't all that impressed with Reid yesterday and he still drives chiefs fans up the wall sometimes. Same for McVay for the Rams. I mean, the Rams may have lost that game against Detroit in part because like Shanny, Mcvay willing gave up a possession at the end of the half rather than understanding you can't just give those away. He also kicked field goals again and again lol. Its the mindset of that entire damn coaching tree lol. 

I don't mean this as a knock against brock because he was absolutely fine last night even if he wasn't special, but when you have Matt Stafford with that kind of team talent and Patrick Mahomes, your latitude for **** ups is significantly wider which makes guys like Andy look better. 

When Andy didn't have arguably the greatest QB ever, he was busy giving up some of the worst playoff comebacks ever to Indy and Tennessee (early Chiefs tenure) and going like 1-4 in NFC championship games and 0-1 in the super bowl (with McNabb). 

When McVay had Goff (comparable to purdy imo), he got dismantled in the super bowl, scored 13 points against atlanta in a wild car game after being #2 in points per game during the season, missed the playoffs and then scored 18 in losing to the packers in the divisional. 

The decision that may ultimately haunt Shanny in his 49er tenure is not getting that stafford trade done, and I hate to say that because I think Brock is a legitimately good QB, but i also don't think he's Stafford or Mahomes. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Eh, I wasn't all that impressed with Reid yesterday and he still drives chiefs fans up the wall sometimes. Same for McVay for the Rams. I mean, the Rams may have lost that game against Detroit in part because like Shanny, Mcvay willing gave up a possession at the end of the half rather than understanding you can't just give those away. He also kicked field goals again and again lol. Its the mindset of that entire damn coaching tree lol. 

I don't mean this as a knock against brock because he was absolutely fine last night even if he wasn't special, but when you have Matt Stafford with that kind of team talent and Patrick Mahomes, your latitude for **** ups is significantly wider which makes guys like Andy look better. 

When Andy didn't have arguably the greatest QB ever, he was busy giving up some of the worst playoff comebacks ever to Indy and Tennessee (early Chiefs tenure) and going like 1-4 in NFC championship games and 0-1 in the super bowl (with McNabb). 

When McVay had Goff (comparable to purdy imo), he got dismantled in the super bowl, scored 13 points against atlanta in a wild car game after being #2 in points per game during the season, missed the playoffs and then scored 18 in losing to the packers in the divisional. 

The decision that may ultimately haunt Shanny in his 49er tenure is not getting that stafford trade done, and I hate to say that because I think Brock is a legitimately good QB, but i also don't think he's Stafford or Mahomes. 

I don’t think Stafford’s in a separate tier, personally. I think he’s in the second group of guys that when they get hot can play with the true great guys. I think Purdy can, too. Just can’t count on it nearly as much. That Rams team got super lucky that we eliminated Rodgers and the Bengals eliminated Mahomes that year. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

I couldn't agree more with this. Andy Reid has fumbled it away more than he has secured it. Mahomes makes up for his ineptitude. 

5 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I don’t think Stafford’s in a separate tier, personally. I think he’s in the second group of guys that when they get hot can play with the true great guys. I think Purdy can, too. Just can’t count on it nearly as much. That Rams team got super lucky that we eliminated Rodgers and the Bengals eliminated Mahomes that year. 

I think stafford has a ceiling, independent of what's going on around him, that Purdy doesn't have right now. Maybe purdy is Brees and that's something that comes, but I'm probably going to wait a few years before giving him that type of credit. Brees is an all time great, after all.

I think Stafford is up there in that regard. If we are talking best version of stafford versus the best version of other QBs in the league, I'd have him pretty high. Probably even over a guy like Herbert. 

2 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I couldn't agree more with this. Andy Reid has fumbled it away more than he has secured it. Mahomes makes up for his ineptitude. 

So Reid and Kyle are both bad coaches to you? But Bill belichick would fix everything?

Just now, adamq said:

So Reid and Kyle are both bad coaches to you? But Bill belichick would fix everything?

I dont think Reid and Kyle are as good as people claim they are. People were discussing Reid as a top 5 HC all time yesterday. He isn't even a top 10. I never said they were bad. Belichick has a track record that goes far beyond either of them. I believe Belichick is better at the planning and details side of the game than Kyle is and I believe him to be a better evaluator of talent. Would he fix everything? I didn't say that either, but I do believe on a team like this that is as turn key as they come he would finish the job.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

OMG, some 49ers players didn't know the OT rules!!

Meanwhile Mecole Hardman catching the game winning TD pass..."I didn't know the rules"

Donovan McNabb, former Andy Reid QB, "I didn't know you could tie" 

I understand people are in their feels, but be upset about stuff that matters. If Shanny didn't know the rules and made decisions based on erroneous understanding of the rules, that is what matters. 

Anyone who thinks this is a good look for Kyle is naive.

Edited by Swift21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Do you think that Belichick would have fumbled away all the opportunities Kyle has had?

Bill belichick and his cronies would have ran the offense into the ground. Even with one of the best defenses in football we saw what his teams look like when Tom Brady isn't suiting up

5 minutes ago, adamq said:

Bill belichick and his cronies would have ran the offense into the ground. Even with one of the best defenses in football we saw what his teams look like when Tom Brady isn't suiting up

We've seen what it looks like with Mac at the helm. He was fine when Cassel had to play. Answer the question though. Do you think that Belichick would have gone 0-2 in these two Super Bowls? Considering we cannot look look at one facet and say the Niners players were terrible in either game. We can however, look at the HC decision making and question if that was up to the standard of a Super Bowl winning HC. So I ask again, would he have lost those two Super Bowls?

12 minutes ago, Swift21 said:

Anyone who thinks this is a good look for Kyle is naive.

And yet the guy who scored the touchdown admitted he didn't know the rules. 

Tell me how the players knowing or not knowing the rules impacted them on the field. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

We've seen what it looks like with Mac at the helm. He was fine when Cassel had to play. Answer the question though. Do you think that Belichick would have gone 0-2 in these two Super Bowls? Considering we cannot look look at one facet and say the Niners players were terrible in either game. We can however, look at the HC decision making and question if that was up to the standard of a Super Bowl winning HC. So I ask again, would he have lost those two Super Bowls?

He would not have gotten this team to those super bowls. Mac is easily worse than Purdy, but just as good as Jimmy g. And before you go there, it's BBs fault those teams didn't have weapons for Mac. Kyle brought in CMC. Developed deebo, aiyuk, and kittle.