Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

11 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So does anyone think we will move on from wilks? lol. 

It depends on the working tension behind closed doors. My guess he ends up staying but the defense overall had a bunch of bumps and bruises all season long. I'm not sure if the current structure of our wide 9 should continue moving forward. 

• Like 3

Just now, Forge said:

I mean, not for a really long time. This loss is pretty heavily on the players and I say that as someone who is fairly critical of Shanny's performance. He's got them in the final 4 damn near every year, the guys absolutely love him...I don't think that this is even remotely a negative factor in terms of how the players feel about him. 

Yeah, the players aren't losing faith in him, at least this core. The veterans love him because he's a straight shooter and the team does a lot of winning. Purdy takes to his criticism and responds well to it unlike Jimmy so he's not likely to turn on him anytime soon either. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So does anyone think we will move on from wilks? lol. 

I think Rob Lowder said that he thought they will, but I'd be pretty surprised if they do. 

If they did, it wouldn't be on the basis of last night. I think it would more based on the season as a whole and maybe the opinion that the fit isn't quite right, but again, I'd be surprised 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

FWIW, seems like Ian Williams maybe put that blown play on 3rd and 4 in overtime on Burford rather than McKivitz. 

Yes, I saw that as well right away and thought there was a good chance it was on Burford. But either way, both had a shot to put hands on him and did not. Burford also got destroyed on the deep shot to Deebo when he was wide open. Feliciano is not great but he's so much better than Burford and that was the difference in the game. Terrible. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 4

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yes, I saw that as well right away and thought there was a good chance it was on Burford. But either way, both had a shot to put hands on him and did not. Burford also got destroyed on the deep shot to Deebo when he was wide open. Feliciano is not great but he's so much better than Burford and that was the difference in the game. Terrible. 

Burford has had that issue quite a bit throughout his career. 

Just now, Forge said:

Burford has had that issue quite a bit throughout his career. 

Putting him at guard was always a curious decision but he is just not it. The team needs to address that need early in the draft. I don't care if they take a guard with their first pick. I'm guessing we can get the best or second best guard in the draft at #31. The tackles are going to go off the board like crazy in the first round so I'm not sure there will be one worth taking at that slot? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Putting him at guard was always a curious decision but he is just not it. The team needs to address that need early in the draft. I don't care if they take a guard with their first pick. I'm guessing we can get the best or second best guard in the draft at #31. The tackles are going to go off the board like crazy in the first round so I'm not sure there will be one worth taking at that slot? 

I have a hard time believing they invest a first into a guard. Tbh wouldn't shock me if they draft a center in the first. 

2019, we cruise the 1st half of the season, come out the 2nd half with a lot of close wins, dominate the postseason

2021, we fall in a hole early, rally back and barely make the playoffs, win some close games in the postseason

2022, we rally back from a slow start to go 13-4, dominate 1 game, win 1 more close game

2023, we dominate the regular season, win some gritty playoff games

We make the NFCCG/SB every which way and it doesn't seem to matter in the end, we always lose, and we always find new ways to lose 

We'll likely be contenders with this core for 1-2 more years before retooling which i'm confident we'll do (our 2023 team was very different from 2019) 

But at the end of the day we'll probably fall short again. There's always something. And it doesn't seem to matter how good we were that season, or even that game. We always have some dumb mistake stopping us or some key play going against us. 3rd & 15, the Tartt drop, the Purdy injury, the Luter muff. There's always something. Its exhausting 

We could be 19-0 entering the SB next season facing a 9-8 AFC WC team and we'd still probably find a way to lose 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It depends on who sticks at tackle. Like, I'd be surprised if Jordan Morgan isn't there, but there is a reality where he kicks inside in the NFL. The other option may be Guyton...good athlete, but I think he's a very flawed technically. 

I think this team would love Kiran Amegadjie, but he's a developmental guy. I'd say round 3, we probably have to take him in round 2, but I don't know that he's a year one starter. A lot of people have Suamatai in the first round, but he's another that may take a year to get going. 

I'm not a huge fan of going RG in the first, but I could see the merit of it if they think that is going to be a big help, even if they have to roll McKivitz at tackle another year. Like, Barton at 31 followed by Amegadjie in the second round. I don't think we are going to have a realistic shot at JPJ, unfortunately. There may be merit in this not having one side of the line being untested rookies. 

I could also see a world where they go Guyton in the first and Haynes in the second. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nope, and there is no need to. He called a very good game last night. The offense lost the game more than the defense did. If it wasn't for the muffed punt, then Wilks defense likely holds the Chiefs out of the end zone and we win the game.

Year two should be better with Wilks. 

I agree we probably won't but Wilks just doesn't do it for me at this moment.

I backed him earlier in the season when fans were giving him grief but I just think he isn't very complex scheme wise and with his personnel.

The bliz packages are dull a very predictable.

He does throw some disguise on the back-end but it's not as layered or multiple as I think we need to be.

And I think in critical moments, he becomes way too predictable and passive.

Maybe because he doesn't trust a certain percentage of his personnel.

But whatever the reason, he reverts back to his tendencies alot on big downs and it gets exploited.

We were a lousy 3rd down defense pretty much all season and though the front four didn't really live up to their hype, I think what he calls at certain junctures in the game played a major part in that statistic as well.

Just my 2 cents...

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yeah. 2019, I was heartbroken. I'm just numb after last night.

In order of how bad I feel.. Kap, Jimmy and Brock(that's how I remember the SB losses lol). I'll never get over Gore and Willis not getting rings 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

There's always something. And it doesn't seem to matter how good we were that season, or even that game. We always have some dumb mistake stopping us or some key play going against us. 3rd & 15, the Tartt drop, the Purdy injury, the Luter muff. There's always something. Its exhausting 

We could be 19-0 entering the SB next season facing a 9-8 AFC WC team and we'd still probably find a way to lose 

This, in a nutshell.

We can never get out of our own way.

And to me, that is absolutely THE WORST way to lose.

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

I have a hard time believing they invest a first into a guard. Tbh wouldn't shock me if they draft a center in the first. 

If they don't take a guard in the first round, then one needs to be taken in the second round. We have four picks in the first three rounds and they all pretty much need to be OL/DL. This is a retool in the trenches type of draft. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Now we have to go through the slog of an entire offseason, training camp, preseason, regular season, postseason just to have a chance to win a ring 

And this is from the perspective of a fan 

Now imagine it for the players/coaches. Have to go through it all over again. And our stars dominated the regular & postseason but got shut down in the SB. In fairness, it was by the same DC who shut down the 18-0 Pats historic offense. But still. 

Have to go through another full calendar year to get back to this point. And odds are we likely won't be back. Have to keep everyone healthy and focused for 6 months, August - February. Packers & Lions are ascending. Eagles/Cowboys/Rams still competing. Vikings get Cousins back. Seahawks got a HC who shut our offense down on Christmas.

Even if we do make it back. We likely face Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, or Burrow. Great, Mahomes adds to his legacy or Allen/Jackson/Burrow get a fairytale ending for their 1st SB win, cuz the 49ers are great at giving other teams fairytale endings