The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Keim has reported multiple times Johnson was at the top of their list. 

Not disputing his original placement on the list. I'm talking about the notion we waited on Ben, had blinders on for him or tunneled on him. 

Again, I liken this to the draft, you got a big board that gets shuffled around or changed throughout the process. I'd be willing to bet that IF Ben didn't interview well on his first try, he didn't stay at the top of the list as others are suggesting. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Not disputing his original placement on the list. I'm talking about the notion we waited on Ben, had blinders on for him or tunneled on him. 

Again, I liken this to the draft, you got a big board that gets shuffled around or changed throughout the process. I'd be willing to bet that IF Ben didn't interview well on his first try, he didn't stay at the top of the list as others are suggesting. 

But it does appear that way. According to Keim second on their list was MacDonald but it seems when we tried to pivot to him it was too late and Seattle had him locked up. 

17 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

But he was 110% in the running.  Four of their five finalists had to wait for in-person interviews this past week anyway

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But it does appear that way. According to Keim second on their list was MacDonald but it seems when we tried to pivot to him it was too late and Seattle had him locked up. 

This very well could be, I don't think we could have beat our Seattle's offer anyway. They gave him 6 years. Adam Peters signed a 5 year deal. No chance in hell a rookie HC gets a longer deal than the GM hiring him. 

I really don't like the term pivot, but it is what it is. 

MacDonald would have been a slam dunk hire in my mind. If I had the funds, I would have handed him a blank check. Dude is going to be good.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Again, show me a single shred of evidence that we waited on Ben. Everyone we interviewed was done at the same time. There was no, let's wait to see what Ben says then move on. 

Evidence as in directly from any of the people involved? I can't. You can't either for the counterargument. There's only what's put out there and inferred upon. Interpret it how you wish. I'm sticking with it was Ben until it wasn't, and we went to Macdonald and he went to Seattle and we then went to Quinn. That's where the dots connect to me. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Evidence as in directly from any of the people involved? I can't. You can't either for the counterargument. There's only what's put out there and inferred upon. Interpret it how you wish. I'm sticking with it was Ben until it wasn't, and we went to Macdonald and he went to Seattle and we then went to Quinn. That's where the dots connect to me. 

Very well could have been. I think it was less black and white than you are presenting it, but clearly we had serious interest in Ben Johnson and Mike MacDonald. At the same time, with far less media coverage, I think we had serious interest in Quinn as well. 

I think at the end of the day, it is a let down to end up with a retread. I know most of us wanted something fresh. If we end up with Chip Kelly as OC, there will probably be a riot, but neither Dan Quinn nor Joe Witt are going to get a rookie QB the coaching he needs, so we need to do something smart there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

That's fine. But it wasn't like this.

1. Ben Johnson

2->8. Everyone else

This how everyone, including you are portraying this, with comments like "blinders on" or suggesting they tunneled on Ben. It's just not practical. 

It absolutely could have been:

1. Ben Johnson

2. Mike MacDonald

3. Dan Quinn

4. Aaron Glenn

5. Bobby Slowik

6. Raheem Morris

7. Anthony Weaver

8. Eric Bieniemy

Something like that I could believe. 

So I think we can all agree at this point that we got our 3rd choice.   This is not a positive.  None of this even says our choices were good choices, but the fact is we didn't get our first 2. 

We completely misread the personality or something of our main target.  It seems we focused on that person so much that we didn't put the proper attention into the other options.  And our recruiting effort failed on our second option or we weren't willing to pay the proper salary.  

My confidence level is not lifted by this.  I hope by luck, our 3rd choice ends up being the best choice, but this will be by luck, not by intention.  

8 minutes ago, offbyone said:

My confidence level is not lifted by this.  I hope by luck, our 3rd choice ends up being the best choice, but this will be by luck, not by intention.  

I wouldn't have had Quinn as my 3rd choice. I said before only retread I would be ok with was Vrabel and I stick to that. I'm not happy we ended with Quinn, but I do think the decision makers stuck true to what they said they were going to do and got someone with leadership qualities. 

We can bad mouth Dan Quinn all day, but I'm not ready to bad mouth Adam Peters or Josh Harris over the hire. I think we could have done much worse. If we go Chip Kelly or stick with EB at OC, it might be a real different story. 

18 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I wouldn't have had Quinn as my 3rd choice. I said before only retread I would be ok with was Vrabel and I stick to that. I'm not happy we ended with Quinn, but I do think the decision makers stuck true to what they said they were going to do and got someone with leadership qualities. 

We can bad mouth Dan Quinn all day, but I'm not ready to bad mouth Adam Peters or Josh Harris over the hire. I think we could have done much worse. If we go Chip Kelly or stick with EB at OC, it might be a real different story. 

My point is that I am not patting them on the back on this process.   They misread Johnson completely and then swung and missed on Macdonald and settled for their safety coach.  I know some kids who ended up going to their safety college and it worked out well in the end, but they weren't pleased that they were forced to make that choice.

I am 100% with you in regards to Chip Kelly.  That would be a disaster.  If they knock the OC job out of the park it will really help me warm up to this.  I want someone smart and young.  I don't want a safety college if you follow.  I am open to them taking a shot on a new OC coach who has experience coaching QBs.  They are out there.  I floated Day.  I have heard others suggest Griese.  I am sure there are others.  

I’m down with combining you twos points. They wanted a leader. They got a leader. They hoped Johnson would be that leader. They loved the idea of Macdonald being that leader. Neither flew. Their safety leader was next. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I’m down with combining you twos points. They wanted a leader. They got a leader. They hoped Johnson would be that leader. They loved the idea of Macdonald being that leader. Neither flew. Their safety leader was next. 

They are telling us they want a leader, but Johnson and Macdonald don't fit that.  They fit the archetype of brilliant young football minds.  Same with Slowik.  No one has called them ultimate leaders. 

I don't doubt they wanted leaders, but I got the sense their top two targets were young brilliant football minds and that was what they really wanted.  After that, leader was their safety type.