Packers hire Boston College HC Jeff Hafley as DC

Acgott

3 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I’m not saying a 3-4 can’t work. I’m saying the advantage of running a 3-4 over a 4-3 is over. Dead. Gone. 

what if it's back now that teams are switching back to 4-3s instead because that advantage was lost years ago already?

Could be swinging the other way again, soon. Today's fad defense is tomorrow's trash one.

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what if it's back now that teams are switching back to 4-3s instead because that advantage was lost years ago already?

Could be swinging the other way again, soon. Today's fad defense is tomorrow's trash one.

I’ve always felt like it will always be easier to find players to fit a 4-3. Always. The only advantages to a 3-4 were confusion and tweeners. With rule changes benefiting quarterbacks and offenses, confusion in coverage is less valuable, and it’s still always going to be easier to find players who can rush the passer and set an edge than it will be to find players who can rush a passer, set an edge and also drop back into coverage.

The advantage will not swing back to 3-4 for at least a decade.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I’ve always felt like it will always be easier to find players to fit a 4-3. Always. The only advantages to a 3-4 were confusion and tweeners. With rule changes benefiting quarterbacks and offenses, confusion in coverage is less valuable, and it’s still always going to be easier to find players who can rush the passer and set an edge than it will be to find players who can rush a passer, set an edge and also drop back into coverage.

The advantage will not swing back to 3-4 for at least a decade.

what do you think is the most undervalued position on defense in general? and then looking at our defense and our new DC, what spot is the most important to upgrade by the most amount of all positions we're able to upgrade this off-season?

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what do you think is the most undervalued position on defense in general? and then looking at our defense and our new DC, what spot is the most important to upgrade by the most amount of all positions we're able to upgrade this off-season?

I’ve literally always felt safety is the most underrated position in all of football, and the most undervalued. That might be because it’s my favorite position in football and the reason I became a fan of football. Not the most important, but the most underrated. Safety is the answer to that question. When teams fear throwing deep or mid, it makes things a might bit easier to defend the rest. It also happens to fit the best current value since safety is the lowest market on the defensive side of the ball. 

• Like 2

We need teams to take calculated risks like these.    Hafley's success in the college ranks should make him 100x more attractive than the retread choices we know aren't good anymore (cough *Ron Rivera* cough).   

Good for GB, nothing but respect for how that FO conducts its business.

• Like 6