Penei Sewell--Could He Make The Switch to LT?

A lot of the pre-draft coverage has been on the deep OT class.  I assumed that Penei Sewell would stay at RT but I am not sure if that is a valid assumption.  With Taylor Decker being closer to the end of his career than the beginning, and Penei Sewell being 23 years old, could he make the transition to LT and play at the same level was playing at the end of the season?  Thoughts?

I think he was drafted with the plan of moving him to LT. Decker has never been "elite" and, if I remember correctly, wasn't playing particularly well at the time. He signed an extension in 2020 and looking at the numbers I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

I feel pretty confident that Sewell will transition well. He had the highest grade of any RT in the league. He was the #6 in PBWR. (Decker was #7)

Looking at him right now, if he stays at RT it will because of how good he is there rather than his shortcomings on the left. He had the end highest run block grade for a tackle since 2009.

He's incredible and I feel very confident that he would be elite on the left.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Have to imagine it adds on, so 9 years total.

He will be only 29 after 9 years lol.

From what I am reading, an extension typically replaces the 5th year option. If they have picked up the 5th year option already it may add onto it but given I don't think we have done that, I think this will just add onto his current 4 year deal.  

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

Excellent deal. 

Goff for hat trick today would be hilarious 

Per the radio, the Lions and Goff are not close, but heard that about ARSB too.  But I wouldn't be shocked if Goff doesn't get an extension.  We have two years of him with the contract and franchise tag and maybe we want to further analyze the cap situation.  But I would guess we get something done but we are now in that similar situation we were with Suh/Stafford/Calvin taking up half of the cap.  

50 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

From what I am reading, an extension typically replaces the 5th year option. If they have picked up the 5th year option already it may add onto it but given I don't think we have done that, I think this will just add onto his current 4 year deal.  

Now they are saying on the radio that we did pick up his 5th year option and then this is added onto that so we have him signed for the next 6 years and the guaranteed money will be spread out over the whole period.  

• Like 1