Raiders to hire Luke Getsy as OC

44 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Of course you are! If the play design has a guy running wide open and the QB runs around like a headless chicken in a clean pocket and then gets himself sacked it’s pretty obvious what went wrong. It’s not going to show everything, such as why the QB missed, what was his first read or progression but it’s certainly much better than just looking at the box score 😁

I’m certainly not a ‘fan boy’ of Luke Getsy but when you look at the evidence, some of the vitriol is certainly questionable to say the least. He may well be a bust, not in any way saying he’s a sure thing, but I can see some positives there and at least some rational as to why he was signed. 

There’s a myriad of reasons why an OC might be let go, him being poor is one, scapegoat could be another, maybe they feel they need a new start and an upgrade, maybe the OC and the HC didn’t see eye to eye. Who knows. 

Do you think that the Bears HC and front office, who have probably watched the tape 1,000+ times are less informed about Getsy's play designs than a YouTuber that made a 10 minute video about it? 

If Getsy is such a visionary and excels at play design, why didn't they want him to work with another stud franchise QB?

I'm sure him getting fired had nothing to do with their offensive struggles over the last two years or Fields development. He was probably the scapegoat or maybe they just felt they needed an upgrade, but if what you said is true and his play design is excellent, wouldn't it work well with a generational prospect?

The Raiders didn't even want to hire him, they wanted Kingsbury, but he bailed when he saw a lack of commitment from ownership because he saw the writing was on the wall with Pierce. The team had to scrape the bottom of the barrel at GM/OC because no competent candidates were willing to tie their horse to the AP wagon, when ownership doesn't even believe in him enough to make a long term investment into him.

Mark Davis took the easy route of a cheap HC that would appease the fans and players. If it doesn't workout he will be able to pivot quickly without any long term financial commitment. 

Edited by NYRaider

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

For Telesco I would say because he can draft(which in my opinion is what matters most for a GM, especially on our team). Sure he sucks at contracts but we have a guy for that so its irrelevant. The only real negative to me is that he cant make a good HC hire to save his life. So his success in alot of ways is dependent on AP working out. 

No reason for Getsy though

If he drafted so well why did only one player that he drafted outside of the first 2 rounds (over a decade of drafts) get a second contract with the Chargers? Why wasn't the team ever a contender despite having a franchise QB to build around during his entire tenure?

2 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

This full grown man is not here to discuss football in good faith. He is here to agitate and troll. I don’t know why ya’ll pay him any mind 

Some have to resort to personal attacks because they don't have any legitimate reason to be excited about our hires other than being a homer. The reality is that if AP, Telesco, and Getsy were good at their jobs they would be employed by Long Beach Poly, Chargers, Bears, they didn't get fired because of excellent results, they got fired because they were all terrible.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Some have to resort to personal attacks because they don't have any legitimate reason to be excited about our hires other than being a homer. The reality is that if AP, Telesco, and Getsy were good at their jobs they would be employed by Long Beach Poly, Chargers, Bears, they didn't get fired because of excellent results, they got fired because they were all terrible.

Even though discuss a HS coach record is irrelevant you like to bring it up. Even though Looks like you didn’t do much research about it. Pierce and LB Poly had to forfeit multiple games due to a violation from a player

Just now, bucksavage1 said:

Even though discuss a HS coach record is irrelevant you like to bring it up. Even though Looks like you didn’t do much research about it. Pierce and LB Poly had to forfeit multiple games due to a violation from a player

Pierce was forced to step down by a college and HS program, he will be fired by the Raiders inside of two years. I'd bet my life on it, dude is a poor man's Dan Campbell that just paired with arguably the worst play caller in football.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Do you think that the Bears HC and front office, who have probably watched the tape 1,000+ times are less informed about Getsy's play designs than a YouTuber that made a 10 minute video about it? 

If Getsy is such a visionary and excels at play design, why didn't they want him to work with another stud franchise QB?

I'm sure him getting fired had nothing to do with their offensive struggles over the last two years or Fields development. He was probably the scapegoat or maybe they just felt they needed an upgrade, but if what you said is true and his play design is excellent, wouldn't it work well with a generational prospect?

The Raiders didn't even want to hire him, they wanted Kingsbury, but he bailed when he saw a lack of commitment from ownership because he saw the writing was on the wall with Pierce. The team had to scrape the bottom of the barrel at GM/OC because no competent candidates were willing to tie their horse to the AP wagon, when ownership doesn't even believe in him enough to make a long term investment into him.

Mark Davis took the easy route of a cheap HC that would appease the fans and players. If it doesn't workout he will be able to pivot quickly without any long term financial commitment. 

They may well be right, he may well not be very good but the premise of the argument is very flawed, plenty of coaches have been fired for a variety of reasons and then subsequently succeeded at their next stop.

Harbaugh who a lot of us loved was fired from the 49ers remember and the likes of Bellichick and Reed of course were fired too. OCs and DCs get fired with regularity, maybe he deserved it, maybe a change of scenery can do him good. 

You can’t claim the Bears are a badly run organisation one minute then claim their decision regarding firing coaches are infallible the next. Maybe they made the mistake, maybe the Raiders just have……..we’re about to find out and I’m going to enjoy the ride 😃

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

They may well be right, he may well not be very good but the premise of the argument is very flawed, plenty of coaches have been fired for a variety of reasons and then subsequently succeeded at their next stop.

Harbaugh who a lot of us loved was fired from the 49ers remember and the likes of Bellichick and Reed of course were fired too. OCs and DCs get fired with regularity, maybe he deserved it, maybe a change of scenery can do him good. 

You can’t claim the Bears are a badly run organisation one minute then claim their decision regarding firing coaches are infallible the next. Maybe they made the mistake, maybe the Raiders just have……..we’re about to find out and I’m going to enjoy the ride 😃

Yeah typically when coaches get fired by bad teams they’re usually goated at their next stop. Look at Nathaniel Hackett, Getsy mentor, dude lit it up for the Jets.

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah typically when coaches get fired by bad teams they’re usually goated at their next stop. Look at Nathaniel Hackett, Getsy mentor, dude lit it up for the Jets.

That’s not at all what I said, but crack on 😁

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Telesco won nothing in the division in a decade plus with two franchise QB.

The Bears run game success was heavily influenced by Fields putting up historic rushing numbers. 

Ok, cool, you named negatives. You didn't ask anyone to. You specifically asked for positives. 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

That’s not at all what I said, but crack on 😁

This the same guy who argued with me and called Jacobs the 20th best running back in the league, while naming several bums ahead of him. Only to watch Jacobs become NFL rushing leader. Wish he would have said he'd leave if that happened.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If he drafted so well why did only one player that he drafted outside of the first 2 rounds (over a decade of drafts) get a second contract with the Chargers? Why wasn't the team ever a contender despite having a franchise QB to build around during his entire tenure?

Because he's not a good contract guy(which isn't a problem for us) and because when you lose you're constantly rebuilding, which means people don't get second contracts. Those are coaching hire and contract problems. 

besides someone getting a second contract somewhere else is not a good argument for why the person who drafted them is bad at drafting

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Because he's not a good contract guy(which isn't a problem for us) and because when you lose you're constantly rebuilding, which means people don't get second contracts. Those are coaching hire and contract problems. 

besides someone getting a second contract somewhere else is not a good argument for why the person who drafted them is bad at drafting

So you think the chargers were just letting hella studs go?