Draft Talk

THE DUKE

I figure a thread specifically for draft talk would be good so we don't get lost in the offseason thread with FA, coaching, other stuff...

I know CB isn't our biggest need, but damn did Quinyon Mitchell look good during senior bowl week with the step up in competition he faced at WR.

That would be a good start to the draft for the Bengals. I think we'll tag Tee and expect Yoshi or Sizzle to step up as Boyd's replacements. At a minimum, they'll re-sign Trent Irwin. So I'm not sure WR is a need or not. But getting Mims and Sweat would help a lot. I doubt Sweat will be available at 49 but you never know.

Barring something crazy happening, like Odunze falling to 18, I highly doubt we take a WR before day 3.  3rd rd maybe, but even then, I think they see a lot of potential in Yoshi, especially if they tag Tee and keep him here another year for Yoshi to keep developing.  Charlie Jones biggest issue is that he needs to get stronger.

The only real reason I could see Sweat there at 49 is that he is a 2 down run stuffer NT.  Not exactly the highest priority for most NFL teams, although a big need for us, especially if we don't bring Reader back.  Even if we do, the injuries have been mounting for him and he's getting older, both of which are big red flags for guys that big.

Sweat being a two down player could realistically drop him further than anyone thinks. He's a good player and can collapse the pocket some, but I would still want to add more interior pass rush, even with him. I've got a soft spot for Mike Hall as a rotational DT.

6 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, we need a better backup 3T than Carter but we'll probably have to wait for day 3 to take a chance on someone. 

We need that Geno kind of luck again and get a stud on day 3.

• Like 2

This time of year they tend to cycle through players to look at more people rather than just regurgitate the same picks week after week.

And we definitely need another, if not two more 3 techs in addition to either bringing back or replacing Reader.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

This time of year they tend to cycle through players to look at more people rather than just regurgitate the same picks week after week.

And we definitely need another, if not two more 3 techs in addition to either bringing back or replacing Reader.

We need to bring in 3 DTs to go with BJ. In the first round, a three hundred pound pass rusher sounds good. We'll still need at least one more, two if Reader moves on. But I'm not getting a two down player in the first.

Here's where I'm at:

1.  Fuaga or Mims.  And if it;'s Mims, we had better already signed a guy like Elumenour in case he isn't ready week 1.

2.  T'Vondre Sweat if he's there, or a 3t if he isn't.  We need to seriously upgrade the trenches. 

3.  a 3t if we didn't take one in round 2, or McKinley Jackson if we missed out on Sweat in round 2.  

Day 3:  TE, RB WR in whatever order the talent dictates.   And I'd love Ainias Smith in there somewhere along with a taller guy if possible

59 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Kris Jenkins will probably be available in round 3. He's a good run defender. 

I don't know if I believe that. But if not him, I do think there will be interesting options in the third. I could easily be convinced to take two DTs and two offensive lineman in the first 4 rounds.