Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I golf 1-3 times per week. I hit 6 30% of the time, 7 60% of the time, between 7 and 8 10% lol 

I had my personal best score last week w 11 over par 

Over 18 holes? Thats probably my beat over 9. That's way better than I'll probably ever do. My putting is atrocious.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Over 18 holes? Thats probably my beat over 9. That's way better than I'll probably ever do. My putting is atrocious.

Over 9. I start playing worse the longer I go 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Over 9. I start playing worse the longer I go 

Still would probably smoke me.

I'm consistently bad. I've gone 18 homes without one putting a single hole, and it wasn't a one time thing. Oddly enough my chipping is my best thing. I can laugh drives but I never know where it will go. Even if I take a bit off it's still all over.

Regardless I love golfing, maybe someday I'll actually take a few lessons and develop.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Still would probably smoke me.

I'm consistently bad. I've gone 18 homes without one putting a single hole, and it wasn't a one time thing. Oddly enough my chipping is my best thing. I can laugh drives but I never know where it will go. Even if I take a bit off it's still all over.

Regardless I love golfing, maybe someday I'll actually take a few lessons and develop.

It’s a fun social thing. When I started at my job in 2018 I was the only guy behind the bar that didn’t golf. When I came back in January I was the only one that did so I got a bunch of people there to start and a couple are invested. One dude is adamant about keeping score and is very competitive when he plays me but I beat him by around 10 strokes every time lol. 

I use The Force when I putt. Feel the vibe, take the shot. I sank a like 20 footer on the last hole on Memorial Day and the two guys w me were more excited than I was about it. Probably cause putting is a game of chance, like a behind the back toss at a moving dartboard. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Ty21 said:

It’s a fun social thing. When I started at my job in 2018 I was the only guy behind the bar that didn’t golf. When I came back in January I was the only one that did so I got a bunch of people there to start and a couple are invested. One dude is adamant about keeping score and is very competitive when he plays me but I beat him by around 10 strokes every time lol. 

I use The Force when I putt. Feel the vibe, take the shot. I sank a like 20 footer on the last hole on Memorial Day and the two guys w me were more excited than I was about it. Probably cause putting is a game of chance, like a behind the back toss at a moving dartboard. 

A few of the guys are just hopeful to beat me on a single hole which is funny to me cause I used to be happy when I started golfing just to avoid maxing out a hole. 

Edited by Ty21

He seems a genuinely nice guy so I hate being critical of him.  

But it just seems to me that he is chairman of a multi-billion dollar football company.  

(As far as I know) He grew up in it and presumably was afforded every opportunity to learn whatever he wanted about football from best available minds. 

He can’t coach, he can’t scout, and he can’t run any aspect of the business side.   He has to rely on other people for all of it.   

Now maybe he never wanted to do any of that and was thrust into it at a later age,  did he have an older brother that died, is that right?  If that is case I am being unfair.  

But what did he want to do?  What can he do?  It has to be more than hobbies like umping little league. 

From what I know of him publicly his life, with all its benefits and luxury, seems under-lived.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

But it just seems to me that he is chairman of a multi-billion dollar football company.  

(As far as I know) He grew up in it and presumably was afforded every opportunity to learn whatever he wanted about football from best available minds. 

He can’t coach, he can’t scout, and he can’t run any aspect of the business side.   He has to rely on other people for all of it.   

Now maybe he never wanted to do any of that and was thrust into it at a later age,  did he have an older brother that died, is that right?  If that is case I am being unfair.  

But what did he want to do?  What can he do?  It has to be more than hobbies like umping little league. 

From what I know of him publicly his life, with all its benefits and luxury, seems under-lived.  

my cousins still live in sycamore and he was always their youth soccer referee growing up

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That is actually pretty cool, but now that I know the billionaire is umping little league games my mind is making up some great scenarios. 

- Rude parent is heckling him so he buys that parent's business just to fire him

- Heckler annoys him so between innings he makes a call and buys the fields just to give a lifetime ban to the heckler

- Pulls up in a Rolls Royce Ghost but then refuses to ump the game because his pay of 3 hot dogs, a popcorn, and a soda can't be paid because the popcorn machine is down. 

- Poor team wearing green and yellow loses 70-0 as they never pitched a strike and never had a ball thrown while they were batting
- He secretly is sending scouting reports of the best local athletes to his scouts so they know who to look out for in the next 12 years. 

- He actually had a legal issue and it was negotiated that he would be an ump for little league as his punishment, then he had a change of heart and kept doing it willingly. He was actually the basis for the Mighty Ducks but they switched the details to keep him out of the spotlight.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That is actually pretty cool, but now that I know the billionaire is umping little league games my mind is making up some great scenarios. 

- Rude parent is heckling him so he buys that parent's business just to fire him

- Heckler annoys him so between innings he makes a call and buys the fields just to give a lifetime ban to the heckler

- Pulls up in a Rolls Royce Ghost but then refuses to ump the game because his pay of 3 hot dogs, a popcorn, and a soda can't be paid because the popcorn machine is down. 

- Poor team wearing green and yellow loses 70-0 as they never pitched a strike and never had a ball thrown while they were batting
- He secretly is sending scouting reports of the best local athletes to his scouts so they know who to look out for in the next 12 years. 

- He actually had a legal issue and it was negotiated that he would be an ump for little league as his punishment, then he had a change of heart and kept doing it willingly. He was actually the basis for the Mighty Ducks but they switched the details to keep him out of the spotlight.  

The funny thing is by all accounts he is humble, doesn't show off wealth and just does what he wants to do. 

Which is just be a regular guy in his community and go to Bears board meetings when he has to.

• Like 2

Actually I was wrong.  His brother retired in 2011 and George took over.  9 years before his brother died.  Maybe he was sick or in bad health though?  I don't know.

From Wiki it seems George went to law school and was an Assistant States attorney in Lee and Dekalb for a bit.

(Those jobs generally suck IMO).  I don't blame him for wanting out of that life.

If my family owned the Bears that is certainly where I would work.  Not the States Attorney office of whatever IL county.

And that is what he did.  I don't blame him.

My larger point is I am just baffled by his apparent lack of competency in regards to football play and/or operations when he was born into this family.

But its a big family.  Maybe he thought he would never have a significant role.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The funny thing is by all accounts he is humble, doesn't show off wealth and just does what he wants to do. 

Which is just be a regular guy in his community and go to Bears board meetings when he has to.

Yeah but my head cannon is way funnier, so I'm basing my reality on that. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

You put a lot of effort into this 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I had a friend who had a lot of monetary success early in adult life, but grew up poor.

He was out at a bar in burbs, this is many years ago when he was much younger.  I wasn't there, but heard the story after. From him, if I recall.  

He got kicked out of bar by a bouncer and threatened to buy the bar just to fire that guy.  He was serious at time.  Never happened of course.

I am sure he regretted saying it later.  He was in his cups at time.    

• Like 2