Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

For me there is just as strong a chance that Jenkins is allowed to walk and we take the comp pick for him...wouldn't shock me to have a totally different interior OL in 2025.

I’m with you here. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest to see us use two of our top 3 picks (first 2 rounds) on IOL in 2025. There and edge rusher are certainly where I’m focusing my attention from the outset when I start to look at next year’s draft class. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

For me there is just as strong a chance that Jenkins is allowed to walk and we take the comp pick for him...wouldn't shock me to have a totally different interior OL in 2025.

Gotta ask.  Why do people automatically believe we'd get a worthwhile comp pick for Jenkins or any comp pick at all?  It's not based solely on what he signs for elsewhere.  It's a formula of our FA gains vs FA losses.  We're not assured a comp pick at all.

Jenkins was ranked as a potential 1st round pick who fell to round two because of his back issues.  When he's been healthy he's played up to his draft status pretty easily.  Even if we managed to get a 2026 comp pick it's not gonna be anywhere near the level to acquire another OL of his talent level.

All that aside I do agree there's a 50/50 chance Poles won't offer him a contract he'll accept and he'll choose to check out FA.  I believe Poles prepared for this by drafting Amegadjie and signing Bates and he will have 3 picks in the first two rounds of the 2025 draft where he might also draft another OL.

So it's anything but assured Jenkins will be back in 2025.  It will depend almost totally on how well he performs in 2024 and his availability for all 17 games.

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Gotta ask.  Why do people automatically believe we'd get a worthwhile comp pick for Jenkins or any comp pick at all?  It's not based solely on what he signs for elsewhere.  It's a formula of our FA gains vs FA losses.  We're not assured a comp pick at all.

Jenkins was ranked as a potential 1st round pick who fell to round two because of his back issues.  When he's been healthy he's played up to his draft status pretty easily.  Even if we managed to get a 2026 comp pick it's not gonna be anywhere near the level to acquire another OL of his talent level.

All that aside I do agree there's a 50/50 chance Poles won't offer him a contract he'll accept and he'll choose to check out FA.  I believe Poles prepared for this by drafting Amegadjie and signing Bates and he will have 3 picks in the first two rounds of the 2025 draft where he might also draft another OL.

So it's anything but assured Jenkins will be back in 2025.  It will depend almost totally on how well he performs in 2024 and his availability for all 17 games.

I think everyone understands the formula…my point is if someone is paying $20 million a year for him that is a pretty big head start on getting a pick through the formula…

I am a fan of Jenkins the player no doubt…I just have my concerns about him when it comes to health and what we would get from him after he is paid…for me building a winning franchise does not involve spending that type of money on guards…as much as they have been unpaid in the past and are clearly a very important part of the team $20 million+ is insane.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think everyone understands the formula…my point is if someone is paying $20 million a year for him that is a pretty big head start on getting a pick through the formula…

I am a fan of Jenkins the player no doubt…I just have my concerns about him when it comes to health and what we would get from him after he is paid…for me building a winning franchise does not involve spending that type of money on guards…as much as they have been unpaid in the past and are clearly a very important part of the team $20 million+ is insane.

OL is low supply because DL talent is so much better.  Low supply = more money.  

Without a good OL and that is relative to your competition on DL it is very difficult to run an offense.  

A lot of that also has to do with single back schemes that dominate the league and teams not spending time working on run game and nuances of it.   Run game used to be much more of an art.  Only a few coaches in league really treat it that way anymore.  

Edited by dll2000

Good news is I am seeing more coaches at lower levels put top athletes on Oline and kids willing to play there.  

OL supply will increase in future.  The pipelines take time.

22 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I can't figure out how to link the video, but ESPN has a "Why Jayden Daniels is better positioned to succeed over CW" video and it's 2 minutes of the dumbest reasons ever.

"His supporting cast is TOO good"

"Matt Eberflus has had a lot of QBs" (just JF)

"The Bears roster is built to win now, they will only go downhill from here. WSH is built for the future, and this will be the worst roster JD ever has"

the list goes on and on.

The TV version of a "Shock Jock, or Take-smith if you will, really has hit a saturation point and its just created nearly unwatchable television.

I cant help but think that there is a massive market for the level-headed guy to just sit on these shows and constantly say "What the F are you idiots saying right now?" but the egos of those other guys cant take it.

I felt like Orlovsky was going to be that guy, but quickly folded to the pressure and flipped to the same stuff. And I think JJ Reddick was trying to do it on most Basketball stuff, but now hes out.

Its just embarrassing to listen to most of the time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

i agree with you for the most part - it's why my initial thought convo had "sign him earlier if he's going to be cheaper." my only bugaboo with comp picks (and this isn't specific to you, but to fans in general) is the "just let him walk and we'll get a high pick. we never know what that pick is going to be. BUF thought they were getting a 3rd for Edmunds and they were shocked to only get a 4th. what if we sign a different FA and it eliminates the comp pick but we are then relying on a rookie OG?

I personally want to go DL with our 1RP and 1st 2RP next year, which is a great class to do it with. If we want to go OL with our 2nd 2RP that's fine with me, but i also think we could potentially get a starting G in the 3rd too.

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

The TV version of a "Shock Jock, or Take-smith if you will, really has hit a saturation point and its just created nearly unwatchable television.

I cant help but think that there is a massive market for the level-headed guy to just sit on these shows and constantly say "What the F are you idiots saying right now?" but the egos of those other guys cant take it.

I felt like Orlovsky was going to be that guy, but quickly folded to the pressure and flipped to the same stuff. And I think JJ Reddick was trying to do it on most Basketball stuff, but now hes out.

Its just embarrassing to listen to most of the time.

Orlovsky was really trending that way - talking just the Xs and Os and breaking down film on screen and what he was seeing, which is why he was such a breath of fresh air. but you're right, he started trending into the sound bites and hot takes that would make him more popular with bigger fan bases.

I really think the JF/CW convo this offseason was the biggest litmus test. It was clear that JF was a great athlete and had a good arm, but might not have the processing ability to fully be that guy. but we should keep him and pass on the QB who is relatively consensus one of the best 5 QBs to enter the draft in the last 20+ years? (lawrence, burrow, luck...?)

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Its this right here. It has nothing to do with Jenkins, it has to do with positional value. The guard spots are some of the easiest guys to find to fill in when you have the right system and especially when the OTs/C are in place. 

You should be able to draft atleast 1 college Lineman to add into your rotation almost every single year, and then they can replace whoever is on their way out. 

To me there are atleast 6 guys on the long roster right now that I think would be just fine filling in at Guard in this system. Im not sure we have a 3rd OT, thats how big the difference is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Orlovsky was really trending that way - talking just the Xs and Os and breaking down film on screen and what he was seeing, which is why he was such a breath of fresh air. but you're right, he started trending into the sound bites and hot takes that would make him more popular with bigger fan bases.

The "Takes" in sports talk have become the equivalent of the old school Phishing Scams to me. Sure you are going to hook someone every once in a while with the "Saudi Prince who needs your help quickly" but for the most part they are lame and you can see right though them if you have a shred of common sense

10 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Here's a piece on potential 2024 extensions for five players.  Jenkins is one of them.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2024/ ... on-brisker

2) Teven Jenkins; Project Contract: Three years, $48 million with $24 million fully guaranteed (Comp: Kevin Dotson)

This is what the author Aaron Lemming feels he might be offered.  APY of $16 mil with $24 mil/50% of contract value gtd.  To me that sounds about right.  If he can get a $20 mil APY offer somewhere Poles won't match it.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Here's a piece on potential 2024 extensions for five players.  Jenkins is one of them.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2024/ ... on-brisker

2) Teven Jenkins; Project Contract: Three years, $48 million with $24 million fully guaranteed (Comp: Kevin Dotson)

This is what the author Aaron Lemming feels he might be offered.  APY of $16 mil with $24 mil/50% of contract value gtd.  To me that sounds about right.  If he can get a $20 mil APY offer somewhere Poles won't match it.

i'm more than happy to give him that contract

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

The "Takes" in sports talk have become the equivalent of the old school Phishing Scams to me. Sure you are going to hook someone every once in a while with the "Saudi Prince who needs your help quickly" but for the most part they are lame and you can see right though them if you have a shred of common sense

Engagement farming on the current versions of social media is worse than the people who keep coming to my door trying to sell me solar panels no matter how many times I tell them to FRO. 

• Like 1