Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

55 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Lewis was probably a respect nod that he has lasted in league so many years as a position player.   A rare feat.  Also he is probably a more vocal leader.  

I personally would have kept one of young guys and sent him packing. 

I have to think he was kept because of his unique skill set (an elite blocker for the position). This team isn’t in any way starved for receiving options to need to keep a TE who probably won’t get any run. Lewis will have a meaningful role. How many snaps would Bates have gotten that didn’t require that either Kmet or Everett (both better players) be taken off the field? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I have to think he was kept because of his unique skill set (an elite blocker for the position). This team isn’t in any way starved for receiving options to need to keep a TE who probably won’t get any run. Lewis will have a meaningful role. How many snaps would Bates have gotten that didn’t require that either Kmet or Everett (both better players) be taken off the field? 

Bates was good at special teams and a developmental player.

I am not terribly upset about keeping Lewis, but I wouldn't have done it.

Homer is a mystery.  I am not a fan of keeping guys just for special teams aside from P,K, LS.   I would keep guys that I believe may become starters one day or at least are serviceable or decent back ups.

On 9/2/2024 at 9:18 AM, dll2000 said:

Remember before monsoon game versus 49ers I got into a big argument with 49ers fans about Trey Lance not being named captain by his teammates, which is how 49ers did it that year, in his 2nd year having a negative meaning.  

The fans said it didn’t.   I think I was proved right.  It is a big deal when your starting QB for all offseason isn’t named or elected a captain.  

In end neither of our QBs worked out, but still we had more hope and positive signs at that point.

But why do we have EIGHT captains? 

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Captains are generally meaningless to me.

I just think if you don't make your known starting QB a captain that raises eyebrows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Bates was good at special teams and a developmental player.

I am not terribly upset about keeping Lewis, but I wouldn't have done it.

Homer is a mystery.  I am not a fan of keeping guys just for special teams aside from P,K, LS.   I would keep guys that I believe may become starters one day or at least are serviceable or decent back ups.

Homer over Bates is a better question than Lewis over Bates IMO. I don’t see what Homer gives you except for ST, and I haven’t heard that he’s great at ST - only that he plays them. Bates has long term upside that Homer doesn’t. Velus can play RB and has speed that’s an asset even as a decoy. He’ll get some offensive snaps even if it’s in a bit role. If you’re on the team just for your coverage teams work then IMO you had better be awesome at it. I don’t think Homer is awesome at it. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Homer over Bates is a better question than Lewis over Bates IMO. I don’t see what Homer gives you except for ST, and I haven’t heard that he’s great at ST - only that he plays them. Bates has long term upside that Homer doesn’t. Velus can play RB and has speed that’s an asset even as a decoy. He’ll get some offensive snaps even if it’s in a bit role. If you’re on the team just for your coverage teams work then IMO you had better be awesome at it. I don’t think Homer is awesome at it. 

If Velus steps into offensive huddle everybody marks him.  That has value.  

If Homer does nobody cares.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

If the team decides that’s what they want/need and they voted on them I couldn’t care less if there’s 8 or 3. It always made sense to me that each position group have a leader within the group though, and this puts us with a captain in most of them. 

2 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Hahaha,  I thought the exact same thing.  I will never buy a jersey (the Cutler Dolphin's jersey was a 'gift') but I would wear that thing everwhere.

The price of jerseys is pretty nuts. I've bought some pretty convincing fakes off DHgate for about $20 a jersey.