Dallas Cowboys hire Mike Zimmer as DC

MaddHatter

What does he do with Parsons? Zimmer’s defense was very unimaginative  towards the end. Thought the game passed him by but the defense was very young towards the end of his MN tenure. Is he still dating that 30 something year old Vikings fan? 

Weird that no one else is reporting this yet... but this is a good hire for the Cowboys, if true.  I'll be interested to see how he uses Micah and how that differs from how Quinn used him.  Crazy that the Dallas D can be even better next year with Diggs coming back healthy.

19 minutes ago, Soko said:

Upgrade, I’d expect. Really good hire here.

Don't really agree, his defenses in 2020 and 2021 during his last 2 years in Minnesota were awful. Might be washed frankly.

20 minutes ago, Danger said:

Don't really agree, his defenses in 2020 and 2021 during his last 2 years in Minnesota were awful. Might be washed frankly.

Those defenses fell off a cliff talent wise. But the bigger part of it is that it’s pretty much the usual that failed coordinator-turned-HCs are just not destined to be HCs. When you allow them to do what they do, they show out.

Dan Quinn’s Falcons defenses weren’t great, but the Seattle and Dallas ones were. Jim Schwartz fielded better defenses as a DC than as a HC. McDaniels offenses when he was given the keys were awful, but not so much when he was the OC. JDR is kinda meh, but even his defenses were better when he was coordinating. Can say the same for Raheem Morris, Joe Staley, Matt Eburflus, Vance Joseph, Fangio, Nagy, Wilks. Rex Ryan’s defenses fell off. Saleh’s defense was really good this year but hasn’t been as good before. Occam’s razor and past history tends to lean towards certain guys losing their bread and butter when they have to try and juggle being a HC. 

16 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So you're thinking top 3 defense every year he's DC there?

Maybe, maybe not. Things like that are pretty volatile. If your kigic was sound, then by definition the Cowboys couldn’t possibly upgrade over Mike McCarthy in terms of offensive playcalling, even if it were Shanahan or Reid or McVay, because the Cowboys were #1 in points. The best coach/coordinator in the league doesn’t necessarily field the #1 team/offense/defense every single year. So yeah, as a DC, I’d take Zimmer over Quinn, although it’s a coin toss. Wouldn’t take either as a HC.

13 minutes ago, Soko said:

Maybe, maybe not. Things like that are pretty volatile. If your kigic was sound, then by definition the Cowboys couldn’t possibly upgrade over Mike McCarthy in terms of offensive playcalling, even if it were Shanahan or Reid or McVay, because the Cowboys were #1 in points. The best coach/coordinator in the league doesn’t necessarily field the #1 team/offense/defense every single year. So yeah, as a DC, I’d take Zimmer over Quinn, although it’s a coin toss. Wouldn’t take either as a HC.

I don't agree with your comparison to McCarthy.  It's wildly misleading to judge performance based off points without accounting for other factors.

Here's where the Cowboys offense / defense ranked by DVOA since 2020:

• 2023: 9th / 5th
  • 2022: 14th / 4th
  • 2021: 4th / 4th
  • 2020: 24th / 27th (2020 was McCarthy's first year; Quinn didn't join as DC until 2021)

So yes, I do think the Cowboys could easily upgrade Mike McCarthy and I think they'd have probably reached multiple NFC Championship Games (at least) if they had Shanahan, Reid or McVay calling the offense.

If they want to upgrade from Quinn, they're looking at a consistent top 3 defense... which is certainly possible, but not sure if Zimmer is the guy who gets them there.

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I don't agree with your comparison to McCarthy.  It's wildly misleading to judge performance based off points without accounting for other factors.

Here's where the Cowboys offense / defense ranked by DVOA since 2020:

• 2023: 9th / 5th
  • 2022: 14th / 4th
  • 2021: 4th / 4th
  • 2020: 24th / 27th (2020 was McCarthy's first year; Quinn didn't join as DC until 2021)

So yes, I do think the Cowboys could easily upgrade Mike McCarthy and I think they'd have probably reached multiple NFC Championship Games (at least) if they had Shanahan, Reid or McVay calling the offense.

If they want to upgrade from Quinn, they're looking at a consistent top 3 defense... which is certainly possible, but not sure if Zimmer is the guy who gets them there.

So if the Cowboys give up less points, produce more turnovers, are better on third down, are better in the red zone, and the defense doesn’t get embarrassed in round one by giving up 40+ points, but they’re 6th in DVOA, you’d say they didn’t upgrade?