2025 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (Edited 5/21/24)

Ozzy

50 minutes ago, Armbar said:

Pearce is a truly elite speed rusher who has yet to develop counters and fill out his frame. He’ll end up every bit of 265-270 if he’s already 250 & that skinny. Plus the kid does the little things. He did get tossed around by Latham and has some bad reps on tape, but idc. He’s got incredible talent, is crazy young right now, and has the hunger to get to the top. He plays hard, even when he gets washed out. He has great hand usage to keep himself clean and under control & doesn’t just fly up the field like a psycho in the name of getting sacks. He’d have been the 1st defensive player selected this past year had he been eligible.

I think you’re underrating him. I think Mason Graham might carry a higher grade for me, but when you factor in positional importance, Pearce will be at the top of charts. 

Pearce maybe could develop like that but I highly doubt he will ever play at the weight of 270 pounds and keep that speed he has.  As a down DE with his hand in the ground I think he could struggle, as a true 3/4 OLB he could be far more effective.  Sure he pushed around OL at times which was impressive for his size but those were bad OL from pretty small schools more often than not.  

Patrick Payton I have over Pearce no question right now, Payton had 10 passes deflected and is far more generally active during the games.  But both at this point are really only 3/4 OLB types that hope to put on 10-20 pounds, I do not see either one putting on 30 or 40 pounds at all.

In terms of being better than Dallas Turner, I do not see that and I also do not believe Pearce can run a 4.46 40 and have a 40"+ vertical.  And Turner was elite from the get go and Pearce was only really good last year and who knows what he will be now that everyone knows and will fully prepare for him.  And sure a guy like Jared Verse fell in the draft but honestly I do not see Pearce as a better player than Verse either who was an absolute beast and can legit play a 4/3 down DE and more than hold his own of can be in a 3/4 as well.  Verse could be an absolute monster on the Rams, Pearce would not have the impact because he is not nearly as strong at the point of attack, sure that could change but he would have to greatly change as a player for that to happen.  

If one wants to talk about super promising DE, it would be Kenyatta Jackson and TJ Parker, Jackson could declare next year with a breakout season but will be hard to get playing time with the guys returning to Ohio State in Sawyer and Tuimoloau.  Pearce is one of the most promising edge rushers but that is mostly because it is a some what weak class at the top.  As for defensive player grades, no sure how Will Johnson is not the best defender in the 2025 class, that dude is legit and would have been the best CB in 2024 if he could have declared, the cannot be said for Pearce if he was able to declare in 2024 in my view.  If not Will Johnson it would be Deone Walker who is an absolute monster.

On 5/11/2024 at 7:37 PM, Ozzy said:

32. Ravens: Colston Loveland Michigan JR TE

Ravens have Mark Andrews, Isaiah Likely, and Charlie Kolar. TE is one of our deepest position groups. All are on contract through the following season as well. TE as a pick would make absolutely no sense.

Future 1st round type needs would likely come at LT as Ronnie Stanley is now on the last year of his deal.

OG could be a need because it’s possible Vorhees nor Saala don’t play at a high enough level at LG, even if they do, Ben Cleveland is in the final year of his deal and could be poised to have his Ben Powers or Ryan Jensen type come up and ultimately payday.

Defensively if Marcus Williams doesn’t pan out with a quality season and even if he just plays “good”, then I could see us cutting him and going younger. Thus going with an elite safety to pair with Hamilton and our corners could make a ton of sense as well. Especially with safeties typically presenting great value at the end of round 1… if we’re picking in that area.

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Ravens have Mark Andrews, Isaiah Likely, and Charlie Kolar. TE is one of our deepest position groups. All are on contract through the following season as well. TE as a pick would make absolutely no sense.

Future 1st round type needs would likely come at LT as Ronnie Stanley is now on the last year of his deal.

OG could be a need because it’s possible Vorhees nor Saala don’t play at a high enough level at LG, even if they do, Ben Cleveland is in the final year of his deal and could be poised to have his Ben Powers or Ryan Jensen type come up and ultimately payday.

Defensively if Marcus Williams doesn’t pan out with a quality season and even if he just plays “good”, then I could see us cutting him and going younger. Thus going with an elite safety to pair with Hamilton and our corners could make a ton of sense as well. Especially with safeties typically presenting great value at the end of round 1… if we’re picking in that area.

If OL is an issue for them I would be surprised.  Only reason that would be an issue is if Stanley gets hurt again but they did draft Rosengarten who is promising and Faalele I feel should lock down that other RT spot.  If those two are not solid then yes of course OT is the 1st round pick.  And they got a solid pickup with Julian Pearl as a UDFA, he is a promising developmental OT.   Also have Josh Jones as a backup OG/OT if something happens, Cleveland yes does need to improve but would be pretty sad if he cannot be a solid starter by now but maybe they want to move on from him.  Vorhees I like and if he does not workout they have Aumayae-Laulu.  So they have options but sure OL could be a bigger need depending on how the season plays out.  I had them go TE 1st round considering possibly Andrews injury and maybe those continue.  And TE for them is a big need in that offense and having multiple high level guys is not rare for them, and Loveland at that spot in the draft could be a deal.

Not to mention got possible stud in Beau Brade as a UDFA as well at safety which helps at safety, I would not be surprised at all to see him make the roster and get some playing time next year.  Joe Evans is a promising edge rusher as a UDFA despite his size, kid plays with a high motor.

If they would go safety unless some other guys really move up and develop, that range is not great for any outside of Malachi Moore who really I feel will be a slot in the NFL and not a safety but helps his versatility playing that this season for Bama.  Nick Emmanwori could be a star but he is a bigger safety and would play around the line of scrimmage like Hamilton so they might want one with more range like Billy Bowman who could be a solid pro.  Also is Xavier Watts who is a great ball hawk and will be interesting what kind of season he has.  

7 hours ago, TVScout said:

I try to not really look at other mocks like this and instead make my own lists unedited as it were or copied/influenced.

That is an odd grouping, Beck going #1 overall as if Bryce Young is terrible next year which I doubt.  Also Donovan Smith going 1st round and Milroe no where to be found is insane to me.  Smith is decent but just because he is big and athletic does not mean he will be some 1st round pick or even drafted honestly, but sure he can improve and has upside no question.  He has a ways to go, had a decent year but still has to improve a ton.  That is like saying TJ Finley will be a 1st rounder, he had solid success at LSU and Auburn early in his career, and was solid last year and now transferred again to Western Kentucky from Texas State.  He could have a better year than Smith and again did it as a young player at times in the SEC.

Will be interesting but Donovan Smith not sure I see that, he is with this group of guys below and honestly right now I have them all not being drafted at QB.  Heck I have DJ Uiagalelei as a very late 7th round pick potentially.  Sure any of them could move way up but it is not that easy to get drafted as a QB in the NFL.  

Will Howard Ohio State RS
Tyler Van Dyke Wisconsin RS
Hudson Card Purdue RS
Jaxson Dart Ole Miss RS
TJ Finley Western Kentucky RS
Donovan Smith Houston RS
Kyle McCord Syracuse
Will Rogers Washington RS
Tyler Shough Louisville RS
Max Johnson UNC RS
Hank Bachmeier Wake Forest RS
Seth Henigan Memphis
Jalon Daniels Kansas RS
Gerry Bohanon BYU RS
Payton Thorne Auburn RS

Plus no Abdul Carter is insane, especially with how bad most true 4/3 OLBs are usually and how hard they are to find.  I do not buy him being a pass rusher only, he can rush the passer but ideally would be more of a Fred Warner type in a 49ers style 4/3.  Also Stackhouse going over Tyliek Williams is totally nuts to me much less going that high, not sure he has shown that type of ability as what will be going on a 5th year player,  also no Booker and OG or Payton at DE/OLB two guys who could easily be the best in their positions in the 2025 draft.  

• Ozzy changed the title to 2025 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (Edited 5/13/24)

Abdul Carter, I just moved him up ahead of Perkins.  I love his versatility and despite moving to DE this year I love his ability in coverage and overall range.  Is a great at blitzing from the inside backer spot and his awareness in coverage to gets his hands on the football is impressive.  Not to mention his ability to chase and react to the football in space.  The dude can play and if he becomes a dominating pass rusher which I think he could be he will be even more valuable in the NFL.  Would love to see him as a true OLB in the NFL that blitzes from time to time because it is so hard to find that type of guy in the league.  But if he is a legit 250 that might not be the case anymore.  

In 2023 there was almost no real solid OLB in that draft not including ILBs, but pure OLB types Henry To'oTo'o was basically the only productive OLB not including OLBs/edge rusher types.   Ivan Pace Jr and Cam Jones were the other two productive backers in that class but both of them were UDFAs and Pace is clearly more a ILB than outside like Cam Jones who only played a bit but at least played and did well.

Edgerrin Cooper, Trevin Wallace, Payton Wilson and Cedric Gray are guys in this years class but they might all end up playing ILB or be a 3/4 type ILB or OLB where Wilson might end up.  Cooper and Wallace could be great OLBs in a 4/3 if asked same with Gray possibly but still not a ton to pick from honestly.  Either way it is pretty damn difficult to find a solid 4/3 OLB with range and versatility, these are some of the best in the league currently and almost all are on the smaller side and can really run.

Matt Milano, Dre Greenlaw, Logan Wilson, Owusu-Koramoah, Drue Tranquill, Pete Werner, Christian Harris,  Quincy Williams.

Where Abdul Carter ends up who knows but he could be an absolute monster pass rusher with the quickness and burst he has already shown as a backer.  On the edge opposite Dennis-Sutton they could be an absolute terror and if James Pearce gets all this hype for being potentially a high pick because of his athletic ability.   Honestly Carter should also be also because he is already a better more impressive rangy athlete in my book who can play ILB, true OLB or be a down edge rusher which he will show this year.  He is far better in coverage also, one of the few backers around who is solid in coverage and could argue that is harder to find than an edge rusher at times.  

The weight with Carter is interesting, listed now at 250, was 235 I believe last year or the year before and in high school apparently was 210ish.  If he can keep that great speed and burst at 235 when he put on 20+ pounds kid could be awesome.  Did look a bit thicker in his base during the spring game and was super quick off the edge with more than a few pass rush moves also.  Clearly he will be paid more being a pass rusher than a true OLB type in a 4/3 but again one is getting far harder to find than the other.  

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Edgerrin Cooper, Trevin Wallace, Payton Wilson and Cedric Gray are guys in this years class but they might all end up playing ILB or be a 3/4 type ILB or OLB where Wilson might end up.  Cooper and Wallace could be great OLBs in a 4/3 if asked same with Gray possibly but still not a ton to pick from honestly.  Either way it is pretty damn difficult to find a solid 4/3 OLB with range and versatility, these are some of the best in the league currently and almost all are on the smaller side and can really run.

Payton Wilson is a ILB for the Steelers.

This year's ILBs was a smorgasbord of different styles.  Need a run stopper?  Cedric Gray.  Need a coverage LB? Cooper.  Classic MLB? Wilson.4   Blitzing LB?  Wallace.  I thought there was not a lot of speed at ILB in this draft.

Very few 4-3 WLB IMHO, Wilson and Cooper might fit that bill but not many others.

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Payton Wilson is a ILB for the Steelers.

This year's ILBs was a smorgasbord of different styles.  Need a run stopper?  Cedric Gray.  Need a coverage LB? Cooper.  Classic MLB? Wilson.4   Blitzing LB?  Wallace.  I thought there was not a lot of speed at ILB in this draft.

Very few 4-3 WLB IMHO, Wilson and Cooper might fit that bill but not many others.

Wilson played a ton of edge on NC State but I agree with the Steelers he should fit at ILB very well and could take the place of Holcomb starting possibly by the end of the season.  But he was an edge player on NC State a lot but did get hurt a lot also.

Cooper not sure I would call him a coverage LB, he has a ton of range and speed that is for sure but was so good downhill attacking this past year, we will see if the Packers actually switch to a 4/3 defense but I bet they still say mostly as a 3/4 and put Cooper as one of the two ILBs.  ILBs in Trotter, Colson and Watson I did not include but all of those guys could maybe play OLB spots if asked potentially but would be better as a 3/4 ILB like Colson and Watson.  Trotter I feel was super underrated in the process and should have been picked higher than he was.  He could play a ton next year and might beat out and play over Dean, Nolan Smith and Baun but we will see.  

Barrett Carter and Nick Jackson are true OLB types in a 4/3 could have been the top two in this 2024 class if they declared.  

Gray is hard to read, he is probably best as a 3/4 ILB and not sure how he would do as a true 4/3 OLB.  Wallace I love his athletic ability but he is best as a ILB I feel in either system.  

Agreed in 2024 the WLB in a 4/3 there is almost no one, and guys like Curtis Jacobs were not even drafted.  So it is a hard spot to fill that is for sure.  Again Carter from Clemson would be #1 in this 2024 class and Jackson probably two but both did not declare.  Then again tons of teams only play two LBs and base nickel so maybe it is not as big of a need but still top three defensive teams in the regular season last year Browns, Chiefs and Jets all have very solid LBs and Chiefs arguably have the best three across the board in a true 4/3 D for LBs and the 49ers who are not bad are possibly 2nd if they find a third to go with Warner and Greenlaw.  

Chiefs with Tranquill, Chenal, Bolton and Gay all super versatile and can run.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

We will see if the Packers actually switch to a 4/3 defense but I bet they still say mostly as a 3/4 and put Cooper as one of the two ILBs.   

We're a true 4-3, same defense Demeco and Saleh run. No more 2-gapping for our DL, it's going to be a much more attacking, 1-gap defense, don't know if you'll see the wide-9s like Saleh likes to use from his Seattle days but there will be many similarities. Cooper will play in the base with Walker and McDuffie. We don't really have a true SAM and are going to be interchangeable there and at both S spots. One-gap scheme will help Wyatt and Brooks immensely as well. 

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

If OL is an issue for them I would be surprised.  Only reason that would be an issue is if Stanley gets hurt again but they did draft Rosengarten who is promising and Faalele I feel should lock down that other RT spot.  If those two are not solid then yes of course OT is the 1st round pick.  And they got a solid pickup with Julian Pearl as a UDFA, he is a promising developmental OT.   Also have Josh Jones as a backup OG/OT if something happens, Cleveland yes does need to improve but would be pretty sad if he cannot be a solid starter by now but maybe they want to move on from him.  Vorhees I like and if he does not workout they have Aumayae-Laulu.

IOL- I included Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu (nicknamed Saala within the org) in my breakdown for OG. He will most likely compete with Vorhees and Cleveland for the IOL spots. Yet even if Vorhees locks down the LG spot and Cleveland locks down the RG spot as expected (there wasn’t a performance difference between he and Kevin Zeitler when he started the games to end the season as Zeitler recovered from injury), Cleveland is an UDFA after this season.

We’re not going to resign Cleveland if he commands a big deal. Which is the point. Saala at RG could win the job in 2025, but a BPA OL would absolutely be in play there to compete for and add depth to the IOL, which could be looking very light heading into the 2025 draft.

OT- Yes we have Rosengarten and that’s great, he could potentially be a LT/RT of the future. However this is a 2025 mock draft. Ronnie Stanley is actively playing on the final year of his deal and has had injury concerns. The team is very unlikely to bring him back, even if he plays at an All Pro level, especially considering the depth with Mekari, who likely wins the RT spot and Rosengarten, who should start the season as the RT backup.

Josh Jones should backup Stanley at LT. Faalele might not even make the team out of camp. He didn’t impress on the field in his split starts with Morgan Moses last season. He was both an inferior run blocker as well as inferior pass protector. His feet have not been able to adapt to the NFL level and it’s clear that Rosengarten is indeed the RT of the future.

However Stanley, Jones, and Mekari are ALL UDFAs after this season. I could see them resigning Mekari as invaluable RT and IOL depth, however he might want a stronger opportunity to start elsewhere and either either way OT will almost definitely present a need in the 2025 draft unless they address it via 2025 free agency… which they might.

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I had them go TE 1st round considering possibly Andrews injury and maybe those continue.  And TE for them is a big need in that offense and having multiple high level guys is not rare for them, and Loveland at that spot in the draft could be a deal.

TE- Doesn’t matter, if Andrews gets injured, we have TWO TEs behind him that are incredibly capable, not to mention we also have Patrick Ricard who moonlights as a blocking TE as well. Now Ricard is going to be a UDFA after this season and would be in line for a payday with the right organization (Chargers maybe), but even then all three of Andrews, Likely, and Kolar are on the books through the year. Andrew’s injury was a freak incident of someone falling on him and there’s significant depth behind him. So going TE in round 1 would be an absolute waste of draft resources that this organization would never do. Even if they traded Andrews, they might be willing to commit resources late in day 2 or early day 3, but day 1? Not happening. Likely has already shown he’s got impact ability and so has Kolar.

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not to mention got possible stud in Beau Brade as a UDFA as well at safety which helps at safety, I would not be surprised at all to see him make the roster and get some playing time next year. 

Safety- Understood and I’m high on Brade and Kane as well, however we use a ton of 3 safety sets. We might use less with the talent at corner, however even if one of Brade or Kane hit, if an elite safety is there and they decide to cut Marcus Williams, which has a good probability of happening, that would open up a spot for the #3 safety. One year away is a long time for some collegiate talents to prove they can be great safety talents. I’m not saying we would go safety, but that’s typically a spot to get good value positionally in the draft at that point.

With Bateman, Zay Flowers, and Tez Walker as the top 3 WRs that could be a spot for WR if Bateman underperforms again and a great player falls. Henry hitting 31 next season and losing Justice Hill and if Keaton Mitchell isn’t the same after the ACL or the team feels he’s got too many medical red flags, they might go RB with an elite option like Nick Singleton at the end of round 1 as well.

But the TE room is too stacked as it is.

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We're a true 4-3, same defense Demeco and Saleh run. No more 2-gapping for our DL, it's going to be a much more attacking, 1-gap defense, don't know if you'll see the wide-9s like Saleh likes to use from his Seattle days but there will be many similarities. Cooper will play in the base with Walker and McDuffie. We don't really have a true SAM and are going to be interchangeable there and at both S spots. One-gap scheme will help Wyatt and Brooks immensely as well. 

Really?  I assume maybe they did that so their base was more of a nickel or could switch over to that easier to put Nixon on the field where he should be almost all of the time.  Then that kicks out one of the third LB groups which is McDuffie or Wilson which is good because neither one are really that great.  Puts Walker and Cooper as the two LB with again Nickel being Nixon who is a stud.  

But in terms of true front sevens, the 3/4 I would have a harder time going up against than that 4/3.  The 4/3 could be rising starts in Wooden and Brooks on the bench a lot.  Maybe they could fill in at DE behind Gary at times which would give them more playing time but Van Ness will be doing a lot of that.  Rotation at OG but the switch for right now does take talent off the field in that regard and replaces it with McDuffie or Wilson so that is a downgrade.  Put they also have Bullard at safety which is great and honestly he could be a slot corner if need be and is super versatile in that regard, and McKinney is great around the line of scrimmage and could be a third LB if need be and put a third safety in to be deep so they provided great backend versatility.

DE Devonte Wyatt/ Jonathan Ford
NT Kenny Clark/ TJ Slaton
DE Karl Brooks/ Colby Wooden
OLB Rashan Gary/ Kingsley Enagbare/ Brenton Cox Jr
ILB Quay Walker/ Ty'Ron Hooper
ILB Edgerrin Cooper/  Isiah McDuffie/ Eric Wilson
OLB Preston Smith/ Lukas Van Ness

DE Preston Smith/ Lukas Van Ness
DT Devonte Wyatt/  Karl Brooks/ Colby Wooden 
DT Kenny Clark/ TJ Slaton/ Jonathan Ford
DE Rashan Gary/ Kingsley Enagbare/ Brenton Cox Jr
OLB Quay Walker/ Christian Young
ILB Edgerrin Cooper/ Ty'Ron Hooper
OLB   Isiah McDuffie/ Eric Wilson

Will be interesting how it goes, but for sure guys like Brooks, Wooden and Slaton could be traded if the 4/3 fit is not for them.  Brooks and Wooden both could have been fine 3/4 DE types.  And lucky for them all of their OLBs are so big already that switch will not be a big deal.  Their LB group is weak especially if Walker or Cooper go down that could be the issue.  Depends on if Hooper is solid if so that could help a lot, McDuffie I like but honestly he was hidden more in a 3/4 ILB spot where in a 4/3 OLB spot he might be taken advantage of.  Walker is a stud but again I feel he is best in a 3/4 specifically as a rangy ILB, curious if they put Cooper outside and Walker inside instead.  Both are athletic enough no question though.  

Also will be interesting if they play with Gary as a DT which could be really great.  They are versatile at multiple spots and always of late have done a knockout job drafting.  

I appreciate the effort put into this mock, but I don't think the Steelers will go ILB in the 1st next year. We've already(hopefully) got our 3 down backer, with Queen. We also have Elandon Roberts, Payton Wilson, and hopefully a healthy Cole Holcomb. That's a lot of question marks, no doubt, but I think we have way more glaring needs for next year. DT/DE, WR, and CB are all much bigger needs than ILB. Maybe even EDGE, depending on what happens with TJ Watt. 

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I appreciate the effort put into this mock, but I don't think the Steelers will go ILB in the 1st next year. We've already(hopefully) got our 3 down backer, with Queen. We also have Elandon Roberts, Payton Wilson, and hopefully a healthy Cole Holcomb. That's a lot of question marks, no doubt, but I think we have way more glaring needs for next year. DT/DE, WR, and CB are all much bigger needs than ILB. Maybe even EDGE, depending on what happens with TJ Watt. 

You are probably right but depends on if Wilson can be the legit ILB or not.  Holcomb I am not a huge fan of and same with Roberts, that is why I had them go that way.  But sure if Wilson can out play both and become the starter then yes ILB is not a need for them in the 1st round.  

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You are probably right but depends on if Wilson can be the legit ILB or not.  Holcomb I am not a huge fan of and same with Roberts, that is why I had them go that way.  But sure if Wilson can out play both and become the starter then yes ILB is not a need for them in the 1st round.  

I'd say even if Wilson doesn't pan out, or gets hurt again, that ILB still isn't a top need. Queen is paid to be that guy. He'll be our 3 down backer. If we look for another ILB, it'll be a later round pick. Especially with our needs at premium spots like DL and CB. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Wilson is calling defenses in OTAs at this point.  Has more experience at MLB than Shazier did when he was drafted.  Realizing it took 1.5 years for the lightbulb to go on for Shazier I think Wilson is more advanced in his reads than Shazier.

The Steelers have signaled that they do not expect to get much out of Holcomb this season due to his injury.  Read into that what you will.  I think Wilson and Roberts will rotate to start the season but I expect  Wilson to be starting sooner rather than later and have the same role that Shazier had.

i do think DL and QB will be high picks in 2025.  Here is the logic for the QB

If Russ is fantastic, they probably can't afford him but could franchise him.
If Russ is great in success but not exactly lighting it up, you offer him a 2-year deal for good money, let Fields go, & draft his successor.
If Russ is mediocre, you walk away at the end of the year, sign Fields to be a #2 slash placeholder starter, draft a QB.
If Russ is terrible, you insert Fields in 2024 and see what you've got
............. if he's great, you've found your franchise QB
............. if he's terrible, you walk away after 2024
............. if he's mediocre or pretty good, you ditch Russ, sign Fields to be the #2/placeholder starter while you groom your shiny new QB pick.

At this point, I would draft a DL for them in any mocks.  They need a active 1 tech, a replacement for Cam Heyward ( 5 tech with great motor).  Consider that Benson makes a good 3 tech I think that is covered.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

• Ozzy changed the title to 2025 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (Edited 5/21/24)