Eagles give DE Haason Reddick permission to seek trade

RaidersAreOne

21 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Who?

That Rookie who was 4th on the depth chart. Not every every 1st rd pick is an instant starter. 

He was playing behind 3 Veterans pass rushers who accumulated 38 sacks between them the previous season.

17 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Not terribly surprised he'd want that given how they were using him late in the season.

They don't really save much of anything cap wise from doing this, though, so it won't happen unless the return is vey good.

Cap stuff could certainly complicate things.  Though, if i'm reading correctly...if he ends up a later summer trade Post-June1, does that not actually free up quite a bit of potential cap space for the Eagles?  That'd make things easier.  Though it adds the awkward complexity of having to sit on an "agreement in principal" type hanging trade, for both ends.  And freeing up cap space that late into the offseason isn't worth nearly as much obviously.

But i could see that being a factor when he's heading for camp with the Eagles, unless they can get a "football trade" of some sort done, later in the offseason.  Or i guess possibly earlier, for a player with a similar sort of cap implication to offset the other way.

10 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Cap stuff could certainly complicate things.  Though, if i'm reading correctly...if he ends up a later summer trade Post-June1, does that not actually free up quite a bit of potential cap space for the Eagles?  That'd make things easier.  Though it adds the awkward complexity of having to sit on an "agreement in principal" type hanging trade, for both ends.  And freeing up cap space that late into the offseason isn't worth nearly as much obviously.

But i could see that being a factor when he's heading for camp with the Eagles, unless they can get a "football trade" of some sort done, later in the offseason.  Or i guess possibly earlier, for a player with a similar sort of cap implication to offset the other way.

It would save them more money this year, yes, though at the cost of that dead cap just hitting next year instead. It wouldn't actually save them any more money overall, just shifts part of the hit into next year. But harder thing is finding a team that would be willing to do that. By the end of the summer, teams typically aren't holding $15M in cap space, which is what a team would need to take him on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

It would save them more money this year, yes, though at the cost of that dead cap just hitting next year instead. It wouldn't actually save them any more money overall, just shifts part of the hit into next year. But harder thing is finding a team that would be willing to do that. By the end of the summer, teams typically aren't holding $15M in cap space, which is what a team would need to take him on.

Yeah.  Would certainly narrow the pool of potential suitors at the very least.

Dead money is such a hindrance to player movement.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Would certainly narrow the pool of potential suitors at the very least.

Dead money is such a hindrance to player movement.

It's probably the biggest actual punishment to doing what Philly does with void years and restructures and all that. It works excellently as long as the players you're doing it with keep playing and remain good and are guys you still want on the team. As soon as that stops happening, it's brutal. That's where New Orleans is right now. They're going to restructure/extend Carr this offseason when they probably don't even want him on the team because they have no choice. It's why Michael Thomas has still been there too.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It's probably the biggest actual punishment to doing what Philly does with void years and restructures and all that. It works excellently as long as the players you're doing it with keep playing and remain good and are guys you still want on the team. As soon as that stops happening, it's brutal. That's where New Orleans is right now. They're going to restructure/extend Carr this offseason when they probably don't even want him on the team because they have no choice. It's why Michael Thomas has still been there too.

Live by the accountant's spreadsheet, die by the accountant's spreadsheet via papercut i guess.  Howie has seemed to guess right on that a lot more than he gets it wrong though.  So that's good at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Reddick now says that he never requested a trade and that he wants an extension here. He cherishes being an Eagle. Understands it's a business.

Tbf it was never reported he asked for a trade. It was reported the Eagles gave him permission to seek one. Reddick's agent prob asked for a lot of money and they said that's crazy if you think someone will pay you that go ahead and find them. 

55 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Tbf it was never reported he asked for a trade. It was reported the Eagles gave him permission to seek one. Reddick's agent prob asked for a lot of money and they said that's crazy if you think someone will pay you that go ahead and find them. 

Some outlets ran with the notion that he requested a trade. So that clouded things a bit and painted them in a different shade.

So, this just a negotiation tactic.
The Eagles float that information allowing Reddick to self-determine his contract value and expose himself to who wants to land him.
It eases the pressure on a fierce debate about his perceived value in contract negotiations.
If he finds a monster deal, the Eagles would expect a similar return.

Reddick has to figure out if he wants to go to a particular team and to leave his hometown for a prescribed amount of money.
There's a balancing act in there.

If a contender with assets wants to pay him top dollar, this probably happens.
If the contender wants to pay, but does not meet the price, he stays.  It is not a dump.
If he is just in it for the money and a bottom tier team wants him, the ball is in his court ..... and then back to the Eagles court based on the compensation.

I'm guessing he signs a reasonable extension with the Eagles.
But, it only takes one team to change that.
I figure the Eagles would ask for a 2024 3rd + a conditional 2025 3rd/4th.

I believe he truly prefers Philly.
The Eagles just need to be fair to win.
Also, Reddick seems to get it.

++ Howie Roseman