Kyle Shanahan

notthatbluestuff

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

And that is more reason to go win it. The defense was too tired you dont put them back out there. You go for the win. Trust that your players want it more and will not lose to the Chiefs AGAIN. 

They just came off a 7:38 second drive, though.

Maybe they shouldn't have been, which I've decided in hindsight since my last post lol.

Edited by Soggust

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

And that is more reason to go win it. The defense was too tired you dont put them back out there. You go for the win. Trust that your players want it more and will not lose to the Chiefs AGAIN. 

To be clear, you know the chiefs get the ball even if the niners score a TD in overtime, right? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Forge said:

To be clear, you know the chiefs get the ball even if the niners score a TD in overtime, right? 

No. A TD ends the game. Unless they changed the rules that the first team that possess the ball scores a TD the other team still gets the ball. 

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

Oh ya lol that's an even better take than mine haha

Yeah, I mean if it's game over, he's 100% right. I'm going for that win. 

My issue isn't kicking 4th and 4, it's the third down call in general. I wouldn't have gone for broke there. I'd have run and evaluated 4th then

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

No. A TD ends the game. Unless they changed the rules that the first team that possess the ball scores a TD the other team still gets the ball. 

That's the Josh Allen rule. Changed it after the chiefs bills game a couple years ago

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Obviously you don't fire Shanahan. But does SF get over this hump under him? What does he need to do - other than stop running into Mahomes?

A few plays go different today they win. Was just a tight game in which one team had to lose. I think he can eventually get over the hump, and as others have said running into Brady and Mahomes is tough for anyone. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's the Josh Allen rule. Changed it after the chiefs bills game a couple years ago

I know the Josh Allen rule. The team that possess the ball first has to score a TD to win. If they settle for a FG the other team will possess the ball. The Niners got the ball first and settled for a FG. Had they gone for it on 4th and 2 and got the first down and then scored the TD they wouldve won and the Chiefs never wouldve gotten to possess the ball. Thats what Im saying. 

It felt like Kyle settled for a FG and told his tired defense to go back a stop to win the game or at best make the Chiefs settle for a FG so the Niners can get the ball back and kick a FG to win the game. I just think he was playing with fire giving the ball back to Mahomes when he shouldve had his Niners team go score a TD and end the game with a walk off TD to win the Superbowl. 

I know the Josh Allen rule. The team that possess the ball first has to score a TD to win. If they settle for a FG the other team will possess the ball. The Niners got the ball first and settled for a FG. Had they gone for it on 4th and 2 and got the first down and then scored the TD they wouldve won and the Chiefs never wouldve gotten to possess the ball. Thats what Im saying. 

It felt like Kyle settled for a FG and told his tired defense to go back a stop to win the game or at best make the Chiefs settle for a FG so the Niners can get the ball back and kick a FG to win the game. I just think he was playing with fire giving the ball back to Mahomes when he shouldve had his Niners team go score a TD and end the game with a walk off TD to win the Superbowl. 

and you're wrong.

both teams now get a chance to possess the ball whether the first scores a TD, FG or not

Edited by KFP7
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, 4thandInches said:

Game was lost with that questionable playcalling after the 2nd half pick. Brutal serie.

So in general during the game, I agree with you. I had a lot of questions about his sequencing and calls. 

But even in this specific drive you're talking about, they came out on first down and threw it. Do you wan to run? Sure. But we also know that consistently running on first down is generally bad. So I don't want to have like a great conversation about every first down that he ran or didn't run the ball. 

But on second down the 49ers guard commits a penalty, they get backed up to 2nd and 15 and then you're kind of stuck in a drop back game, which Spags can eat on. And that's on the players. For all i know, he would have run on 2nd and 10, but on 2nd and 15, things have to change. 

I had a lot of issues with certain things Kyle did, but man, people are really letting the players off the hook here because they did a ton of things completely independent of Kyle that helped them lose. 

• Like 4

Evidently you don't know the Josh Allen rule. What you described are the OT rules prior to that rule change. The new rule is that both teams possess the ball regardless. Doesn't matter what the first team does in that first drive. The other team gets the ball next.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I mean, you kind of don't? 

• Like 9