Kyle Shanahan

notthatbluestuff

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

For sure. I mean, I'm pretty level on Shanny all considered. He does things that make me doubt him in the playoffs, but he also wins games...and wins them in the playoffs. He just can't win, the game. At least not yet. And you're dealing with a 1 game sample so its like randomness run amok sometimes. 

But because he has this narrative, everything he does is so much bigger than what it is. I mean, people really want to go and like grade playcall by playcall sometimes, and it's weird lol. Not every call is 100%, and the other team gets paid too. There were things I didn't like tonight for sure, but I don't know how the idea is that he choked or lost the game just because he had a very brief 10-0 lead midway through the second quarter. Like, did people think they were going to shut out mahomes? Games have ebb and flows. It's just one of those things. He could have done better tonight, the players could have done better tonight. I just don't think that this game says much any which way. 

A team had to lose this game. 

The people comparing Kyle to Andy Reid are right. Andy was an offensive genius who was always the bridesmaid, until he wasn't. People forget that he lost in the NFC Championship Game in 2001, 2002, 2003, and then lost in the Super Bowl in 2004. In 2008, he returned to the NFC Championship Game and lost again. It's hard to win Super Bowls. You need some lucky bounces to go your way. Can Kyle do it? Sure. Will Kyle do it? Who knows. Some all-time great coaches never managed to win the big one.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

Could not disagree more.

Their defense was giving the Chiefs problems all night. 

If he goes for it on 4th and 2 and they get stopped and Mahomes drives down for a FG, Kyle is crucified.

He absolutely made the right decision imo, their defense was just too tired to get one more stop. 

You mean the 4th, and 4 right??? Well if the defense is too tired (without Greenlaw) then you take you chances, and go for it? The Chiefs are backed up if you fail at least. Sure they need a FG to win the game, but Kyle earlier didn't have an issue rolling the dice on 4th down to get the TD they needed. 

I dunno. That sequence is something I'll think about. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

You mean the 4th, and 4 right??? Well if the defense is too tired (without Greenlaw) then you take you chances, and go for it? The Chiefs are backed up if you fail at least. Sure they need a FG to win the game, but Kyle earlier didn't have an issue rolling the dice on 4th down to get the TD they needed. 

I dunno. That sequence is something I'll think about. 

On the 4th and 4, I think you have to kick it. I would have preferred Kyle to play the third down  i as 4 down territory, run on third and make a decision on 4th. 

But we've seen the play...McKivitz just doesn't block anyone. I'm assuming that someone messed up a call on the line, or McKivitz had the incorrect protection. If he doesn't, it's very easy to think that Purdy sees the defender fall down and throws the td to Aiyuk. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

My biggest problem with the 9ers/Shanahan in this game is taking the ball first in OT. Why you'd ever give the opportunity for the Chiefs/Mahomes to know exactly what they need on a drive is beyond me. Give that advantage to yourself.

If you give Mahomes the ball to start OT you're still letting him know exactly what he needs to end it...a TD.

Pick your poison.

Edited by DigInBoys

16 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Kyle is doing an excellent Bud Grant impersonation. Yikes. 

I have a serious question. Do you think Kyle’s mental health is taking a toll rn? Because I honestly don’t think this team will feel it. They haven’t felt the last 3-4! Everyone is in their prime.. Kyle has faced everything, injuries, no Qb and no star RB!

but now he has everything. Is there a way they regress? I see them getting better as a team. But how’s Kyle health’s doing? Guy looks like he’s aged 30 years in the last 7.

kyle-shanahan-mandy-shanahan-1-b383016ec

Screenshot-2203-e1663619236919-832x447.j

2 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

If you give Mahomes the ball to start OT you're still letting him know exactly what he needs to end it...a TD.

Pick your poison.

A TD doesn't end it. SF would have gotten a chance with the ball regardless of what KC does. Only way the game ends on the first possession in OT in the playoffs now is if the defense scores.

2 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Pick your poison.

Honestly I didn’t think the chiefs were gonna move the ball. And honestly if it wasn’t for mahomes legs they would have won. He made some incredible plays with that BBL run he has. He even took a hit in the 3rd and 4th to let those Popsicle suckers know he was there and had no fear in this heart. I was like got Damm my boy. Dude showed competitive greatness. 

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

A TD doesn't end it. SF would have gotten a chance with the ball regardless of what KC does. Only way the game ends on the first possession in OT in the playoffs now is if the defense scores.

Ah true.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The original thought was that he just wanted to give the defense a rest since they had been out there on the last drive to end the game. 

I don't know if Kyle has commented on it or not. 

But Ruiz brought up a point that you take the ball first because if it does go to sudden death (third possession), you want to be the team that gets that possession. 

I get that point, so I'm not going to say it's wrong....but I do think that there's an interesting conversation to be had about the preference there. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The original thought was that he just wanted to give the defense a rest since they had been out there on the last drive to end the game. 

I don't know if Kyle has commented on it or not. 

But Ruiz brought up a point that you take the ball first because if it does go to sudden death (third possession), you want to be the team that gets that possession. 

I get that point, so I'm not going to say it's wrong....but I do think that there's an interesting conversation to be had about the preference there. 

The argument of how much you like going for 2 vs just getting the ball 3rd and letting KC get the 2nd drive is a fair one to have I suppose, but I feel like if you're worried about the Chiefs scoring on possession 3 of OT, you have your chance to win it with the 2 pointer.

Of course there is the possibility that exists that Andy would have went for 2 if the Chiefs scored first too and now you're stuck with the best outcome being the Chiefs get a 3rd possession, but I'm not sure how likely that'd be to occur.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The argument of how much you like going for 2 vs just getting the ball 3rd and letting KC get the 2nd drive is a fair one to have I suppose, but I feel like if you're worried about the Chiefs scoring on possession 3 of OT, you have your chance to win it with the 2 pointer.

This would be my play as well. Just go for the W. 

So I do understand the point, I just don't know if I agree with it. I'm probably taking the ball second every time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

This would be my play as well. Just go for the W. 

So I do understand the point, I just don't know if I agree with it. I'm probably taking the ball second every time. 

Hindsight is such a beautiful thing ain’t it. What if they don’t convert? Kyle didn’t trust his defense etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, El Ramster said:

Hindsight is such a beautiful thing ain’t it. What if they don’t convert? Kyle didn’t trust his defense etc. 

I just like knowing what I have to have. If KC scores a touchdown, I know I'm working with 4 downs all the way down at least. That's the trade off. If you get the ball first and get stopped, you may have to punt and get absolutely nothing.

lts just a preference thing